yamaha Bikes help...which one to get?

poster72

May 6, 2002
I posted here before and find some great info, looking for some more. After another day of bottoming the too heavy XR400 yesterday at the track ive decided to sell it. I am leaning towards a yamaha, but am not real sure of the bikes(as far as what years they were made etc..).

Here is a little more info. Im about 6'4'', ~195lbs. I ride about 70% trails/ 30% track in summer and mostly only tracks in winter. I consider myself a decent rider, at the track ive been looking into clearing tabletops of good length, and checking out some doubles, but feel limited and scared by the weight of the XR. Definitely want to stick with a four stroke as im used to that type of bike now. I had my XR pretty modified (pumper carb, race tech suspension the major ones) and loved it as far as trail bikes go. So now what im looking for is a 4 stroke with better suspension first and foremost, and decent power(maybe a little more than the XR had), yet still be a good low end torque bike for trails.

Ive had ideas such as the WR250 or 450, the YZ250f or 450F, or the YZF426 all passed by me. I know just close to nothing about any of these bikes. Any help would be appreciated. Im afraid the 250's wont be enough (tall enough? powerful enough?) for my needs. But I dont want to fall back into the heavy weight like the XR400 had. Im probably looking for a used bike as I dont have $6000 to spend on a new one. Could you post some good years for these bikes to pick up used, or any idea of prices for new ones? Any info is appreciated...

Thanks

Cory

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
What?!? CORY?!? I dunno if I'd even RECOGNIZE you on anything other than RED! Why don't we get together with SleekFreek up at Watkins or Berthoud this coming weekend so we could sweet talk him into letting you try out his YZ426F. C367 is babysitting a YZ250F this winter. 'Sounds like yer still set against a 2-stroke? Try 'em out; see if ya like 'em!

On another note, CSL was wondering if you'd like to try out Bear Creek this spring. Not the loop, but the trail that goes down to the creek. I don't think I can get back outta there myself, so he was thinking you might like to try it with him.

poster72

May 6, 2002
Yeah, I know...it was a hard decision to come to but its time. Ive tried a few 2 strokes and I just cant get used to riding in the high rpm's that they need. I like the four strokes i guess.
I dont know sleekfreek but Id love to try a 426 out. Is that the guy we rode with at Rampart?
Id like to try out that 250F as well, is that chris from Pueblo?
Maybe im forgetful, but cant recognize the CSL name either? But im always game to try out a new trail!!!

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
If your looking used, I would say the 426 would be your bst bet from the list you gave.  I don't really think that it is the weight of your xr that is making it bottom, but rather the supension. 

poster72

May 6, 2002
yes, you may be right...do you know the weight difference from an XR400 and a 426 by chance? I put so much money into the suspension on that XR...and its just not enough. Considered trying old CR forks as I heard they help, but not sure if its worth it anymore.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
C367 is Ray from Pueblo and CSL is Will, you silly guy! Oh yeah, I think we DID ride with SleekFreak up at Rampart. I'll give him a shout and see what he's up to this weekend so you can try out that YZ426F. You'll have to email Will too, because he's been having the same feelings you are and has tried out both the YZ426F and YZ250F plus a few 2-strokes in preparation for a change. I think Tim Buhler from the cotraileriders group actually had a used YZ426 for sale recently. His was pretty spiffed up too!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Cory: I made the switch from the XR to a VOR 400MX and still was not happy with exaclty the problem you are speaking of! I bought WR250 and it was MUCH better then the other 2 but still lacked in HP for my size (same as you only 2 inches shorter). I have to agree with your friend that you really should check out more 2 strokes (I did and am riding a KX250 now)/they simpl;y have the HP to weight thing going in their direction.
If you are absoulutly sure that it has to be a 4 stroke, the YZ250F would be a step in the right direction for you (WAY BETTER THEN THE XR!!!!!!!!!) but I would highly recommend that you get a ride on a CRF450 - NOW THATS THE BIKE FOR ME (AND I SEE LOTS OF THEM FOR UNDER 5 NOW!!!!!).
Good Luck
Woodsy

poster72

May 6, 2002
Thanks Woodsy, maybe ill try out a 2 stroke. The CRF450 has been tempting me for sure...but I hear they are lots of work to keep up? Is this true? I also heard from others that its no more maintenance than an XR.

cory

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
if you simply must have 1 bike for both track and trail look at the KTM MXC line. a nice used 450 is right up your alley

also, find a cannondale dealer near you and ask for the talk and a demo. the dealer near me is ready to meet me 30 miles from the store at MY local riding area. the fuel injection can be remapped for whatever you are doing and no kick-starting. i'm not saying get one, i'm saying go talk to a dealer and go ride one. it will surprise you.

jeremiah

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You know what Beer Stud I am going to do just that!!! I have to pick my daughter up in South Carolina (home from college) and I will see if I can cop a demo on one while I am down there!! Otherwise it will have to wait till spring! Have you ever ridden one? How is their motor compared to a CRF? I have owned lots of "non-jap" - including the VOR and have never experienced anything quite like the CRF, but I am willing to ride em (its a flaw in my charector - JUST LOVE TO REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LIKE!!). Thanks for the idea, maybe it will make a LONG BORING road trip highly full of anticipation!!!
Woodsy
Now all I have to do is find a C - dale dealer near Greensville SC.......

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
woodsy -

i have yet to demo the bike but everytime i go in for anything(chain wax, air filters, whatever) they're always pestering me, "when are you going to call and arange a demo?" i've been putting it off till i'm done with school this semester, but in a couple weeks i'll know how they are.

anyhow (sorry to get off topic moderator) the owner has one and its tricked out. its got an on board type computer that switches the injection mapping on the freakin' fly! he says it goes from XR250 to CRF450 to insane with a touch of the thumb. normally i don't go for all the gimmicky crap except i know this guy rides 40+ miles of single track pretty much every weekend - and thats snotty, rooty, rutty, clay-y western washington single track. also, they come with ohlins suspension, a hydralic clutch, and brembo (i think) brakes. and get this - you put gas in it in the normal place, right in front of the seat, but the tank is under the seat so it carries the weight about 7-9 inches lower on the chasis.

find a dealer down there and call ahead. i'm certain they will bend over backwards to let you demo one. make sure you demo the "E" model as i understand the mapping on the "X" model is track only stuff.

jeremiah

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey Cory (back on topic)- Meet us at Watkins at 9AM on Saturday morning. SleakFreak will be there with his YZ426F. Sleek is ALSO gonna bring a friend of his along who would like to try your XR400... and his friend wants to PURCHASE one soon so think about what you might like to ask for yours! Here's some more news: Tonight CSL traded his XR400 for a used YZ250 plus some cash; he went with a 2-stroke! C367 is in the midst of packing for moving, so we'll have to catch him later for a test ride on the YZ250F. Yer welcome to try out CSL's YZ250 at Watkins on Saturday. Does this plan of action sound OK with you? -CJ

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Cory: Sorry to get off track... I have four real close riding buds with CRF's. ALL of them ride both track and woods with their bikes and 2 of them are "A" riders. To date (all bought brand new - 1 full season each), NO MAJOR PROBS! Of course you must remeber that these are brand new bikes - motor maintenance starts this winter! All of them "breathe" a little oil loss and we have found it to be a real good idea to watch oil levels! NO they dont seem to be as "durable" as the XR but really nothing is - those XR's seem to have "the energizer bunny" inside them. Of course the XR is NOTHING like a CRF in the YAHHHH HOOOOOOOOO category either! I guess there is a price to pay for performance!!!!!!
Woodsy

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
You might want to think about the WR250F or the WR450F or maybe even the YZ426.You can get a YZ426 for cheap now a days.I hope you find what you're looking for.

Top Bottom