Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
The fork tubes on my 1969 Yamaha DT 250 are rusted and pitted. Since rechroming them is pretty expensive, I wanted to replace them with a pair of fork tubes I have for a more recent (mid-70s) Yamaha DT 250. The problem is that because of the configuration of the forks on my ancient bike it isn't a direct swap. the '69 tubes have some spacers on the bottom that seem to be attached to the tubes. Without the spacers there is too much play in the bottom of the tubes. Can anyone tell me how to remove these spacers so I can put them on the other tubes? Or are they welded, braised or pressed on? Any help will be appreciated.

Pat

THREADLOCK

Mar 30, 2005
I can't answere your question but, I have a set from a 1973 dt1 that arn't in very bad shape. They may fit. Let me know if you want to see a picture.

Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
If I swap the forks I also have to swap the front brake backing plate. I have a set of '74 forks, but the notch on the fork that fits into the brake backing plate is much larger on the later forks and does mesh with the backing plate. I got the '74 forks thinking I could swap out the tubes only, but then I found the spacer at the bottom of the older tubes. Also, the plunger at the bottom of the inner tubes on the later forks is much larger than the earlier model and takes a much larger retaining bolt at the bottom, I don't have the clearance in the bottom of the old fork legs to fit the larger screw through. For now I am just using the old tubes, rust and all. I figure my new old seals will last about six hills. I would like to see a picture of the '73 forks to see if they are more like the '69 models or the '74 model. Email is to patshaugh@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Top Bottom