tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
Ill be more specific this time mods. Which bike would more tight trail and woods riders have in their garage? I hear the Husky is lacking in the low gear departement. Besides e-start and 2-4 stroke......arent we still talking about two bikes built for the same purpose?

Ive been on the yamaha, but I love 2 strokes(thats what i still ride) and will get the husky if it runs in the woods and tight trails well.

Thx

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Are you looking to race, or just keep up well in the woods with your friends?
I have looked at the new WR's and I think they are just wrong. They seem to be more of a dual purpose pleasure bike than a high speed woods contender. When I rule the world, Yamaha will start making 2-stroke WR's again :boss: . I love my '94WR. Around here an old ('94-'98)WR250 seels for more than a (2001-2005)CR, KX, YZ or SX 250 !!The old 2-stroke ones seem to be in real demand. For racing, it probably wouldn't be able to keep up, but for just having some high speed fun, these old WR's are great. I know a few people that ride them, and they can outride the guys on brand new MX bikes any day ( on the trail that is). ;)

Please be warned that I am not an expert, and I do not race. I am just giving my two bits. Hope you find the perfect bike !!

250girl

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
250girl said:
Are you looking to race, or just keep up well in the woods with your friends?
I have looked at the new WR's and I think they are just wrong. They seem to be more of a dual purpose pleasure bike than a high speed woods contender. When I rule the world, Yamaha will start making 2-stroke WR's again :boss: . I love my '94WR. Around here an old ('94-'98)WR250 seels for more than a (2001-2005)CR, KX, YZ or SX 250 !!The old 2-stroke ones seem to be in real demand. For racing, it probably wouldn't be able to keep up, but for just having some high speed fun, these old WR's are great. I know a few people that ride them, and they can outride the guys on brand new MX bikes any day ( on the trail that is). ;)

Please be warned that I am not an expert, and I do not race. I am just giving my two bits. Hope you find the perfect bike !!

250girl

interesting.....i had a 94 yam WR250. Its been so long though, i cannot remember much about its gearing. I think you furthor my concerns about the husky's gear box.....I just really like 2 strokes, but will not mess with my YZ b/c I like its current setup. I have room in the garage and permission from the wife for a WR of sorts...just need to figure it out. Only one ive ridden as of late is a CRFx. Dealer says he can get me a Husky WR so not sure I should do it.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'd go for the husky if it was my choice. That's mostly because I'm not a fan of four-strokes for aggressive woods riding. What do you mean by the husky is lacking in the low gear department? That first gear is too high or the engine doesn't make enough bottom end?

Here's the bikes I'd be looking at if I were you:
Husky WR250
GasGas EC250 or 300
TM 250E/300E
KTM 250/300XC-W

And I'd highly recommend looking at a GasGas. My new one is unbelievable. The powerband is a mile wide and it handles like a dream.

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
I ride the WR250R [as opposed to the WR250F] and yes it's a dual purpose. I'm no expert. I took it out on the trails last weekend and had loads of fun but it has been many years since I was out off the street. Primary focus for the last 20+years has been sportbikes.

If you're not a fan of four strokes then I would simply rule the WR out. As for my experience even though it's a dual purpose it was built more for dirt than road. Anyway, I found it to be flickable not to mention the e-start and fuel injection. That and the fact I could ride the trails then ride home was a plus for me. I don't have a truck or another way of getting to the park. But the park is only 6 miles from my house.

I also wanted to spend less time working on the bike and more time riding. My first service interval is 600 miles [break-in]. The next one after that is 4k. So until then I'll pretty much keep it clean and take care of the chain.

Good luck on your decision.

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
SpeedyManiac said:
What do you mean by the husky is lacking in the low gear department? That first gear is too high or the engine doesn't make enough bottom end?

The first gear ratio on the yamaha and honda WR and CRFx is like 2.85/ and the Husky is 2.00/ or something close to that. It doesnt have a deep first gear for crawling around like the others. I think all the bikes have similar tooth counts on their sprokets, but messing with those is really just a bandaid fix for a mis matched transmission gear ratio.

I guess I really want the Husky to be the bike to get, but i keep reading that its not better than the, cough, four strokes.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I don't know this for sure, but it sounds to me like the Husky may have a closer ratio gearbox.... (more race oriented?) I really never use 1st on my RM, except for hanging ribbon/arrows. I had a Yam WR 250 4-stroke for a short time and wasn't happy with the "not much power" motor that had to pull such a wide gearbox. If you're thinking "aggressive, go fast stuff" I'd say go for the Husky. If looking for a more comfortable trail bike maybe the Yamaha would fit that bill. The Husky will feel much more like the 250 you now have, where the 4-stroke will be a whole different animal IMO.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
It's up to you. My bike has a wide ratio tranny but I rarely use first, even in the tight technical stuff. Mind you, I took a ride on a YZ250 and thought it made a great woods bike.

I just think coming from a YZ250 you'll be bored with a 250F.

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
Thanks Guys. Im not getting rid of my YZ, rather just wanted a bike with a low first couple gears for some of the real tight rocks, stream beds, and woods we have here. Ive been on the CRFx and its nice......but not anything what im used to. I could get used to it, bit my bike with a WR tranny would be nice IMO. I used to have a 94' Yam WR250 2 stroke.....but that was yrs ago and that isnt an option anymore. I guess a toothed up and down husky Wr would be cool.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
A guy I ride with has YZ250 (year?...alum frame) and he put a WR450 5'th gear in it. Perhaps more gears will fit? I tend to think your YZ is just the tool you need, but then again I noticed you're in Southern Mo...... same area I ride. The WR250 is a favorite of many around here, with the rocky, gravely, hard-to-find-traction we have. I'd say find someone who has the WR250 and ask to take it for a ride. The WR250 will not have the low-end snap a CRF250X does........ the Yam's more of a revver.

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
A guy I ride with has YZ250 (year?...alum frame) and he put a WR450 5'th gear in it. Perhaps more gears will fit? I tend to think your YZ is just the tool you need, but then again I noticed you're in Southern Mo...... same area I ride. The WR250 is a favorite of many around here, with the rocky, gravely, hard-to-find-traction we have. I'd say find someone who has the WR250 and ask to take it for a ride. The WR250 will not have the low-end snap a CRF250X does........ the Yam's more of a revver.

Yup....guy I rode chadwick with last weekend has a CRF250X. He can just lug his way around there more easy with that low first gear. I have to haul balls the whole time(which isnt a bad thing.) I rode his and it will let you ride very slow if need be. I would like a WR 2 stroke so maybe you'll see me out there with a gas gas, husky, or KTM soon.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
One other thing to consider:
250 two-strokes (enduro bikes, not motocrossers) make a lot more low end power than 250Fs so they can get away with a higher first gear, yet still pull fine down low.

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
SpeedyManiac said:
One other thing to consider:
250 two-strokes (enduro bikes, not motocrossers) make a lot more low end power than 250Fs so they can get away with a higher first gear, yet still pull fine down low.

You would think it would follow conventional wisdom that 2 strokes are peaky motors and 4 strokes are low RPM torque motors....but i guess 2 stroke enduros are built a bit different. I got quoted $7200 for a EC250 and $7300 for a EC300. Both w/o lights. Sound steep? about a grand more than a yamaha WR250F.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Sounds about right. Remember, GasGas comes stock with a lot of higher quality parts (hebo fat bar, hydraulic clutch, excel rims, etc).

Enduro two-strokes aren't peaky. My 250 is smoother yet stronger than a KTM450EXC. I was out riding with a buddy who was on an 04 450EXC and he was having a hell of a time on the tight, technical trails due to his bike. I flipped the switch for the mellower ignition map (GasGas bikes have a dual stage ignition stock), put it in first, didn't touch the clutch and tractored right up the hill. My buddy was in first, but was spinning, going all over the place before stalling just before the top. I swear, riding a GasGas is like cheating. These bikes make the tough stuff a cake walk.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I'll second that about the GasGas, the PERFECT miserable-woods bike IMO. I'd be riding an EC250 if I didn't have such a strong tie with my dealer (who sells the Asian stuff.) I rode an enduro at Chadwick a few years back and I was on the same minute with a guy who owned a GasGas dealership, and I've got a good friend that rides a Gasser, and he's from Arkansas (not too far from you, maybe a dealer in your area?) Other than that there's Hall's Husky/GasGas in Springfield Ill.......... quite a drive from these parts, although I've heard their mail order is top notch.

Last edited:

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
I'll second that about the GasGas, the PERFECT miserable-woods bike IMO. I'd be riding an EC250 if I didn't have such a strong tie with my dealer (who sells the Asian stuff.) I rode an enduro at Chadwick a few years back and I was on the same minute with a guy who owned a GasGas dealership, and I've got a good friend that rides a Gasser, and he's from Arkansas (not too far from you, maybe a dealer in your area?) Other than that there's Hall's Husky/GasGas in Springfield Ill.......... quite a drive from these parts, although I've heard their mail order is top notch.

I got quoted 7200 for an EC250 and 7300 for an EC300. Both without headlight and tail lights. Sound about right? Guy tried to tell me that the GOVT wont let gasgas import the bikes with lights on them. I said I didnt know if that was correct b/c I can get a yamaha WR with lights. Maybe the 2-4 stroke thing?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
It's not the government, it's a marketing thing I believe on the lack of lights. My bike is an ISDE bike so I have all the lights and stuff to make it FIM enduro legal. The wiring is there on all bikes for headlight and tail light.

Your best source for info on GasGas is www.gasgasrider.org. The amount of info on that site (tech articles and forums) is mind boggling.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
tblrk2008 said:
I got quoted 7200 for an EC250 and 7300 for an EC300. Both without headlight and tail lights. Sound about right? Guy tried to tell me that the GOVT wont let gasgas import the bikes with lights on them. I said I didnt know if that was correct b/c I can get a yamaha WR with lights. Maybe the 2-4 stroke thing?
Don't know what to tell you about prices, do the KTM's run about the same? Going with UFO headlight and rear light/liscense plate/mudflap thingy should only run about $80. As SpeedyM mentioned, it is stator and wire equipped for lights.

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
i dont care about having lights one way or another as I wont need them.........I just want to make sure Im getting the same EC that the rest of you are and paying a fair price for this thing.. This guy is what "flagged" as a dealer, but he took a day to call me back with a price and said he would have to drive 3 hrs to get one out of a warehouse in kansas city. I like the bike, but he wasn’t all that stoked to sell me one IMO. Just didn’t chime right I guess. I have a hard time paying a couple grand deposit for him to get something he doesn’t know chit about b4 I even see it……and then test it myself and decide if its what it should be to pay the rest. Follow me? I WANT this gasgas to talk me out of a Yamaha WR250F, but at this rate it isn’t working like that. I miss my 94 wr 2-smoke.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Yea, this dealer guy sounds scary. Isn't there someone else south of you in Arkansas? I think that's everything that's holding GasGas back in this area, dealers not close enough to be comfortable with purchasing one....... especially if dealer follow-up is needed. Search on Google maybe...?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
What guy are you dealing with? Sounds a little ridiculous. I see you posted over on GGRider.org. Everyone is gone riding on the weekend so expect some posts next week. How far are you from Minnesota? GoFasters is one of the premier dealerships (they also distribute parts for the USA) so guaranteed they'll treat you right.

Unfortunately, the dealer situation is tough to deal with. Getting parts are not an issue. GoFasters WILL have it in stock and can ship it in 1-2 days if needed. I would not pay a guy before deciding on the bike. I'm 99% sure you'll love it once you ride it, but I still don't think a dealer should be asking $2000 for a deposit. Be patient and I guarantee you'll be pleased. It might be a slight hassle getting a GasGas (compared to a Honda, Yamaha, etc) but there is no issues with parts and the bikes speak for themselves.

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
Speedy, I bet im a good 10-12hrs from minnesota? This dealer is listed on the gasgas website, but obviously he doesnt keep them in his shop. It sounded like I was the first person in ages to ask him about gasgas. I will have to try the AR dealer and see what shakes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom