Yamaha yz465 that was running bad !!!

ALOHA

Sep 29, 2009
I want to thank everyone for the ideas and suggestions on what may have been causing my yz 465 to run poorly.

I got it running and it pulls like a big dog now. I settled on a 45 pilot jet, stock needle and needle jet with clip in the top position and a 370 main noe size down from stock. The bike is crisp and pulls from the bottom all the way up.

After a little stick time playing in the desert I plan on trying some vinatage motocross in southern california. One thing is for sure that if I cant keep up it will not be the bike. I will be 65 years old in Jan. 2010 and its time I gave it another go to see if I can still ride.

Thanks for all the input
Jack

ALOHA

Sep 29, 2009
1981 Yz465

Many, Many, Many years ago I rode expert. Now I am at a point at nearly 65 years of age that the older I get the faster I was.

I am excited that I got the 465 running very clean. Now If I get blown away I will have no excuses. The bike is capable of running with anything in the open GP class over 60.

Thanks
Jack

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
time for glen helen huh? good luck tryin to keep up with the maico 490's. No other company ever able to copy the maicos wide powerband.

ALOHA

Sep 29, 2009
yz465

What we are looiking at here is coast through the corners and accelerate out. Roll over the jumps. My bones are old. No matter how I do a rider will normally beat at least one person. Someone always breaks down (haw haw). Since it has been 30 years I plan on taking it real easy and having a good time, meeting what will be new friends.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I sure enjoy the faces at the races, for the best part. And it really blows me away that even in one race in the +50 class, there are still some boneheads around. Go early, and have a blast. Good Luck! Vintage Bob

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
my buddy who got me into vintage bikes is in his fifties and we went to the vintage class finals at glen helen and man where they competative at the finals, my friend was on his 84 cr125 flyin over the hills. just cause your old doesnt mean you cant be competative but it can be the other way around. I'm fifteen and when i get on the track i like to cruise around the corners and just have fun, not go crazy. I Love you older vintage guys and hearing about old war stories on the tracks and about bikes back in the day and what you used to do to them to get an edge on the competition. i get along better with the older people ( usually 50+) than anybody my own age, i just dont relate to kids my age, but when i talk to an older guy about my vintage bikes and his man it feels good to relat. Have fun on the bike aloha, and long live all the vintage guys!

Top Bottom