Yet another tire question...

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Hello.  I just changed my tired for the first time and the bead isn't uniform all the way across the rim.  I just trued the wheels, they have a touch of runout but nothing crazy.  Will the beads seat them selves after riding a few miles or what.

The tubes inside are the correct rim size; but they are both a little bigger than should be.  It's all the bike shop had.  I'm wondering if this is the problem.

Comments? :flame: :yeehaw:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
you need to over-inflate the tube and the bead will then pop uniformily around the rim....I had to put in something like 40 pounds once

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
If the suggestion above doesn't work, deflate the tire and coat the entire bead area with dish soap, then inflate.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Thanks kids, I use a foot pump and stopped around 25 PSI. I suppose I should also loosen the rim lock.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
ok 60 psi and it's sprayed with penetrant. Should I stop pumping or what? Bead hasn't seated yet.

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
You need to go through a couple of inflate/deflate cycles. It'll eventually get there. When you deflate try to work your soap or WD40 to the part of the bead that won't seat.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by Fark
Thanks man. Time to buy a compressor. :)
Indeed :confused: I had a real cheap(ching shin I think?) tire that WOULD NOT seal. We ran some serious air pressure in it soap/water whole nine yrds and still wouldn't seal(p.s. Compitant operator at helm/shop mechanic) Finally he said just ride it and it will come in to place......he was right. As long as its not a major lack of uniformity just ride it see what happens. Tires are pretty darn tough

derekk87

May 29, 2002
We just put a Kenda on my bike and we went to 70 lbs with industrial bead lubricant and i finally just rode it and it went ahead and seated. Those cheap tires are good except when you are changing them.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…