Yet another "What Bike Do I Get" thead...

moore321

Jun 20, 2007
Yet another "What Bike Do I Get" thread...

So I figured I'd jump in on the discussions here and ask for some advice on which bike to get. The problem is, I'm completely new to riding, but I'm not a small kid. I'm 24, 6'4" and 200lbs, so a lot of the beginner bikes might be tiny for me.

I'm looking at the TTR230/CRF230's, because they're cheaper and a little more "beginner"-y (a.k.a. less power), also a tiny bit smaller and lighter than the 250s.

However, would investing in a WR250/CRF250 be better for someone my size? Since I haven't ridden anything lately, it's hard to gauge. A friend of mine just picked up a WR450... I sat on it and it's about the right height, seems a little heavy (probably just not used to it), but I didn't ride it to see if it's "too powerful."

I don't want to be a b**ch, but I also don't want to kill myself learning.

Oh, and I'll be trail riding and cruising on the dunes with friends, moderately aggressive (probably not over 50-60mph), not a mechanical expert yet but quick to learn, prefer 4-Stroke Yamaha (that's what my friends ride), tons of dealers in my area and I'm on somewhat of a budget (as in, saving $3,000 to buy the 230 would be nice if it's not going to be a sllllllllllow bike). Also, I live in Southern California.

-J

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I will never under any circumstances recommend at TT-R 230 to anyone. In your shoes I would be looking for a WR250F or for a more budget friendly and beginner friendly ride perhaps a used TT-R 250.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Also don't look at buying a bike as "investing", that's about the polar opposite of the truth :)

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
A guy your size should be looking for a 450 4-stroke or 250 smoker, IMO. Yes, they are very powerful. You're 24 yo and should be grown out of that "I'm invincible" phase and ride smart. Just b/c the bike will go fast doesn't mean you have to. I ride a CBR954 capable of 150+mph, but I never ride that fast. You might have your hands full the first couple times out, but I think you'll be much happier 3 months down the rode with the bigger bike. Be careful and keep a finger on that clutch and you should be fine. Again, just my opinion!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…