You need a special ticket for what?!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
To get RC's autograph? Yup that's right folks, it seems in the intrest of "keeping people from having to stand in line" his handlers have come up with the great plan to hand out 150 special tickets that let you come back and stand in line to get an autograph. Here's the way it went down in Houston. My son wanted a RC autograph and his friend wanted MC (my son has about 4 MC autographed posters and a hat already). So I go with his friend to hang in the McGrath line and we're maybe 30 yards back and he's due to start in 1 hour. Well MC being the champion he's always been comes out 30 minutes early to get things going and when we got to him I'd guess the line was close to 200 yards back! I'll bet he signed for every person that was waiting. The flip side is my wife was handed one of these double secret RC tickets and told to come back at about 3:30, at the time it was 3:25 so a big time saver it wasn't. So she and my son are like #10 in line and by the time they got through we were done at the MC line as well since he started early. :think: So Jeremy comes out early (as he's always done in the past) and not only signs but poses for photos and even talked with me for 3 or 4 minutes. RC came out late, signed his posters and from what I was told was "OK" to interact with. The handlers shuffled folks out as fast as he was signing paper. So what's my point? While the special tickets might be a nice jesture to ensure people can get the autograph they want it seems to defeat the purpose of the ticket by having to get to the pits even earlier to stand in line to get the ticket to get the autograph. I just can't help thinking that by following the gold standard of The King that RC would do his popularity numbers a world of good. He's paid a ton of money and part of that is to press the flesh with the fans. What about the family that didn't know about this secret selection process (we didn't somebody just found my wife and gave her the ticket) now maybe a kid will have to wait until next year and hope he's one of the chosen ones. Just par for the course I guess.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
He's great for sure but doesn't quite fill the Tech 8's of McGrath. Somebody got SX where it is today and while TP could help carry it forward he rode on Jeremy's back.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
I know autographs are a big deal for some, especially kids, but I hate anything to do with lines. I'd wait with a child in line but that's it.

Patman. Remember that Jeremy doesn't have to actually race anymore, so he doesn't really have anything else to do. Plus he probably enjoys it more now that the presure is off. Frankly, if I was a pro, I would rather sign after the race is over.

Lay off RC. What other pro sport can a 5'3" white guy dominate at? :p

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
and now the converse.

last year at dallas my daughter wanted mc's autograph. we were about 10th in line. after waiting about 45 minutes he came out. then he talked for about ten to fifteen minutes with a couple guys and girls that were inside the roped off area. he finally made his way around to us, signed her program but didn't even bother to look her in the eye. she was disappointed but i didn't have a problem with it because i understand what a drain it must be to always be in the limelight-but she's too young to understand.

she was thrilled when he signed with ktm (she's a ktm freak). after he quit, she took his cover shot on twmx and wrote, " jerk, quitter" on his number plate.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I've never been a big fan of autographs. Just a personal thing and something my kids have picked up on. We were at a kart race in Miami and Emmerson Fittipaldi was there, several adults were all over themselves trying to talk to him and get autographs. My oldest son who was around 8 or 9 at the time turns to me and says, why are those people making fools of themselves he is just like us.

My heroes are Firemen, Policemen, Soldiers, and Teachers. Not spoiled brats that have their life handed to them on a silver platter and wouldn't know what to do if they had to earn a living like the rest of us. I have always told my kids that actors and athletes are nothing special, just people like us that got lucky breaks along the way. Heroes are the people that put their lives on the line everyday for all of us and the thanks they get is less pay than I make.

Look at it this way, where would these actors and athletes be if it weren't for us? Do they appreciate us for that?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by karterron
Look at it this way, where would these actors and athletes be if it weren't for us? Do they appreciate us for that?
EXACTLY! I think it's aparent which riders do appriciate the fans and those that don't.

As far as standing in line for ANY autograph goes, I've got the one I wanted hanging in my office, McGrath & Button M.I.B (Men in Blue). That one was when he was racing and he came out 45 minutes early and signed for nearly 250 yards of people in line. I've got a few others just because they happened to be walking by or I was in the right place.

And yes I would stand in line for RC's autograph.... if that's the autograph my son wanted.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well then..... TTRKTMGuy can I have your autograph? :p

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
TTRGuy

You have two fans already wanting to stand in line for your autograph.  I'm behind Patman so just let us know your schedule and I'm sure we can wait.  :yeehaw:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I don't get the hype of autographs either. And I think kids pick up on this hype at an early age from their parents.

The kids pick up on the fact that the parents are all excited about an autograph, so they think that it must be a big deal and important.

Heck, if you see 100 people standing in line for over an hour to get someone to scribble on a piece of paper, then it *must* be an important and valuable thing to do, right?

I'm all for kids looking up to sports role models and admiring their skills/accomplishments, but the autograph thing baffles me.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i don't do autographs either. i've only got one autograph myself. it was someone that has nothing to do with bikes. most of you won't have a clue who he was--buddy rich.

cletiscranke

Apr 6, 2003
If you know an owner or manager of a local Honda shop where RC is giving autographs. No lines to wait in just pick that poster up the next day and frame hang on the wall. But people who know these things are in tune like old Pat Pipes is, that is why he wins all those picking the Supercross Champion winner bets each year. Pat says he still thinks RC will wrap it up before Vegas but if not they can crown him there in the desert! As for the outdoor RC may run the tables again but for sure will win the championship! You boys should consider yourselves lucky you did not bet on Reed! Pat said you boys do take care, Ya Hear!

bro

Mar 21, 2002
Best autograph I got was when I was down in Florida. I was actually at the guys house. The guy was very pleasant, always smiling and really played to the crowd. The guys name.......... Mickey Mouse.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
The "special ticket" I didn't like at the Houston SX was the $10 pit pass just to get into the area for autographs and to see the bikes. So here's another $30 for the three of us, on top of $40+ tickets, $7 parking plus food. Was it all worth $200+ for the evening? The racing was Great!!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If you buy SX tickets at a dealership, you get the pit passes for free (at least in my area).

Also saves on the TicketMaster gouging.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think when he is here in Salt Lake I will get a ticket. When it is my turn to be signed I will grab my crotch and say..."Sign this buddy!""

Honestly, why anyone waits in line for autographs is beyond me.

Top Bottom