You need a special ticket for what?!

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
Just my $.02 worth but I heard that MC did the exact same thing last year at Dallas. I'm not positive but we walked by his pits because a friends daughter wanted his sig and overheard someone descride the exact same thing, you have to have a ticket to get an autograph. As I said, I'm not positive, just what I heard.

I don't do autographs, so it really was not a big deal to me. I really don't see how people complain about someone shortening their autograph time, that is not their highest priority.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The 'tickets for autographs' program is probably the brainchild of some PR flack. Doesn't seem right to hold the rider accountable for every decision made by the PR department.

IMO, the rider needs to do whatever it takes to stay 100% focused on the RACE. If signing autographs and mingling with fans detracts from his race prep, the rider should limit fan contact.

BTW, there are 50,000 people in the stands and a couple of million people watching on TV. Those people expect the riders to be their best and would rather have RC putting on his race face than gladhanding an extra 20 fans in the pits.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
We didn't have a specail ticket for any of the MC autographs my son got, not even last year in Dallas. I think folks need to recognize that most of the autographs are for the kids who look up to these guys. Also interaction with fans is part of the deal and I think if you can't deal with it then don't sign the contract. Sure racing is why they are there but if people didn't want that little bit of interaction then why pay to go? Just watch it on TV.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I like the posters. Got them all over the wall in my room. That being said, I was pretty ticked that I stood in RC's line for 20 minutes and just happened to hear somebody say you had to have a ticket. What are they gonna do? Turn me away when I get there? I heard Bubba's line was the same way. That's ok with me though, I went and shook hands with Chad Reed and wished him good luck (he was out of posters), maybe it helped :). He was a nice guy. I was disappointed that Tim Ferry wasn't out there signing or anything, for somebody that's not even racing you'd think he could be doing more for the fans (read: Travis Pastrana).

Other people may disagree, but I think that K-dub is one of the nicest riders I've ever met in the pits at a SX. Three years ago we stood in line for over an hour and a half to meet the Team Honda riders (mostly cause I rode a Honda), and K-dub definately went out of his way to talk to all the fans for longer than he probably should have. Because of that, he's won a fan for life. I'll be cheering him on from the couch when he makes a run at the Outdoor title this summer for sure.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think the appriciation, time and effort the "good" riders put in is what makes the few sore thumbs stand out yzguy15.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The sport has changed a lot in the last several years. I remember watching Jim Holley ride in 1985. After the race we walked down to the track. Jim walked right up to my boy and I and said "Thanks for coming out tonite", we really appreciate it. He was sincere.

That year Jonnie O' was there. He would fly in, grab a new CR 250 from the Honda shop, and race it. The bike would be for sale the following monday. Jonnie was very approachable as well. He acted just like a normal guy .

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:| Too bad there's not some kind of statue of limitations on how long you have to hold on to an autograph before trying to make a buck on it.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
we were at the dallas sx too and autographs were a subject between me and my kid. his goal is to get as many signatures on his jersey. we were watching practice from the riders seats and my son was drooling because of all of the riders in the stands. i told him no. in my mind they are working. on race day i think all riders should be left alone. if they have an autograph session then its just bonus for us. the media stuff at dealerships is where the autographs should be gotten. some of the lesser known riders like the attention of the kids and have a much better time spent/per person seeking autographs than the factory guys. i always run my kid by the privateers pits first and explain how these riders put in as much effort as the factory guys. most privateers are excited to have the attention too.

i just cant dislike someone for not standing till the line ends. on race day there is only just so much time. PR is a part of the deal but has to diminish in importance on race day. in most motorsports, fan access declines as the race approaches. best day to rub elbows with an NHRA elite is thurs/friday. they will talk your ear off. sunday is money and they have to perform. up goes the barriers and you get a 30min window for an autograph. Nascar usually has autograph parties on thurs night after practice as a part of the media/pr stuff. try to talk to a nascar driver on sunday and you had better be the crew chief.

Top Bottom