Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Just got my copy Of TWMX and read Donns piece about Neighborhood MotoX or NMX as he called it. Pretty good piece about how riding where you are not supposed to when you are not supposed to not only hurts the people involved and their families but also sheds a bad light on our sport. Got Home and found this article on the front page of our local paper:

Photo Reprints
Photo Page Index
NEWS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Print this Article
Email this Article

Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Dirt bike crash kills Waterloo man
Second rider critical after head-on collision

WATERLOO — One motorcycle rider died and another suffered critical injuries in a crash just after midnight today.

The collision killed Steven J. Brown, 20, of the 900 block of West Railroad Street, Waterloo.

Alan J. Lovejoy, 26, of the 100 block of Railroad Street, suffered extensive head injuries.

The Samaritan helicopter flew Lovejoy to Parkview Hospital at Fort Wayne in critical condition.

DeKalb County Police said both men were riding dirt bikes when they collided head-on at 12:12 a.m.

Brown’s Suzuki dirt bike was heading eastbound on County Road 26, just east of County Road 31. Police said he was riding left of the center line.

Lovejoy was traveling westbound on County Road 26, which runs along the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks west of Waterloo. He was riding a 1990 Yamaha dirt bike.

Neither dirt bike had headlights, police said.

Officers still are investigating the crash. DeKalb County Police received assistance from Indiana State Police, Waterloo Police, the Waterloo Fire Department and DeKalb Emergency Medical Service.

My prayers go out to the families but this should have never happened... :(

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I just read the TWMX article a few days ago and it really opened my eyes. I never gave a second thought to running up and down the street once or twice after washing my bike. I'll probably start rolling my bikes into the garage to start them from now on. There's no need to make a single person look upon dirtbikes poorly because I'm riding a hundred yards down my street.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Reality Bites.

After riding Livingston KY and a couple of other areas that arn't enforced I am amazed that there arn't more stories like that coming out of KY :|

Life is a system of checks and balances. I take a chance every time I head out to eat on Thurs. through Sat. nights here in Richmond, there is a DUI or PI arrest every 10 minuts. There is a rising riding community here, it's mostly street but with the new "No Helmet" Law I just shake my head whenever I see a rider w/o one. It's just a matter of time, when I own a street bike again it will be full protection and helmet for me, I like the thought of a body slide and being able to walk away from it.

As for riding an MX machine on the street, you take your life into your own hands every time you start it up, I do but I never ride my Zinger on the street.

Phiilip

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Laws really shouldn't have to be made for every little thing. There has got to be a point where common sense is enough, god gave us all a brain, it just seems with some, he must have forgot to leave the instruction manual on how to use it(even when I was young and foolish I knew enough to at least wear a helmet). My prayers go out to these people and their families. :(

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i did a little stint at K state uni in kansas. the kids rode sportsbikes with no helmets. there was a little spell when at least one of them died every week for about 6 weeks! from what the papers said they all died from head injuries, but they never seemed to learn from their friends mistakes!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Good thread here, I just read the swap column also and was coming online to post a thumbs up about it also, that was prior to reading the additional posting by SR KX. I hope we see less and less of those kind of idiotic actions that tarnish the image of our sport.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I hadn't gotten to that issue yet but I just pulled it oput and read Swap's editorial. Good stuff. I'm glad to see that he is commenting on the serious side of things and how they can really affect all of us. I'd like to see more.

Top Bottom