Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Okay. We're talking a lot about DirtWeek 03 these days, the time is drawing near. I just wanted to fill you all in on a few things you might not be aware of. I want to pat a few folks on the back. As time goes by, I'll be adding more I'm sure. But make no mistake, without all the help, DW would not be what it is. Rambling now in no particular order.

1) My family. They are the ones that keep all the details together, sit in planning meetings and get the gears moving and work their butts off at the event.

2) Pokie. Works the phone like a mad man trying to line-up sponsors to supply stuff that you'll win at DW. Pokie likes to go after the big dawgs in the industry, one of these days he's going to hit a big one. Count on it.

3) Thump. Me Bro. Also works the phone big time. He's got some stuff cookin this year that will blow your mind. I REALLY wish we could tell you what we're working on, but it's SUPER hard to get really solid (early) commitments from the big players. Schedules can change, things can happen and we can end up with a no-show. I can say this much, do not be surprised if one of the highlights this year includes a factory semi, loaded with demo bikes and a factory rider or two.

4) Our Sponsors. It's VERY difficult to get companies signed-on. We're only in our 4th year and it's getting a little easier each year to get more signed-up. There are a few that have been with us from the beginning, those that understood what DW is and were willing to help us out. Check the sponsor list in the DW forum. Service Honda, Eric Gorr, MXTech, Generac and MXSouth (amoung others) have given a LOT back to us all.

5) Members. There are DRN members who are always helping... all year long. I can't even begin to name them all, but safe to say The Heartland Spodes are at the top of that list. There are so many more.... I'll be adding to the list.

6) The DRN Mods. What can I say? The group here now has been here since the beginning of DRN... since 1999 in many cases. The Mods organize rides/races and do a lot most of you will never see. DRN wouldn't be DRN without them.

7) DRN Members that attend. Nobody is foolish enough to believe that DirtWeek is special because of any one thing, any one of us has done... without the incredible people that attend each year, it just wouldn't be what it is. You really need to experience what it's like. In my mind, it's what our sport is all about. There is a lot more to the sport than winning races. Read some of the threads; read what Jeff Gilbert said in the "What is DirtWeek" thread. He NAILED IT.

As soon as we can get solid confirmations on who/what/when, we'll let you all know. One thing is for sure, this year is going to ROCK.

It's funny; I'm usually the last one to leave DW on Sunday. I sit there and wonder how the heck it could be better next year. Somehow, it always is.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you all again :thumb:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
And the #1 reason DW is such a huge success? OKIE

While he will always fail to mention himself, it's all because of him. I just wish he could relax during DW a bit more. He's like a mother trying to keep 300 kids happy and safe.

You Da Man Okie :worship:

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I have said it at least 1000 times I CAN"T WAIT :yeehaw:
Thanks Boss Man and his crew :worship:

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Much thanks and praise to all that are involved in DW. :worship: :worship:
:worship: :worship:

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Hey Okie, give your self a big pat on the back! Can not imagine how much you have to go through to get this all up and running. but well worth it in the end, right? :thumb:
BTW, meant to tell ya, Generac PP has been changed to BSPP, thats there new name (Briggs & Stratton Power Products) along with a new logo (see attached)
Also there should be a PW getting shipped to Brownies in a couple weeks for raffling or what ever you decide.

Attachments

• bspowerprod-4c.jpg
    bspowerprod-4c.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 213

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Seriously Okie, you guys put on a AWESOME event. It only get's better because of the extra work everyone continues to put into it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks to all that are involved with DW!

Thank you Okie for having the dream and more importantly following through with it.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
Thanks Mike!
Get all healed up in time, k? Thump was telling me he is going to put it on you on the MX track this year.
:laugh: hes gotta have a bike first-LOL

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by MrLuckey
And the #1 reason DW is such a huge success? OKIE

While he will always fail to mention himself, it's all because of him.

Well said Eddie. This thing is all because of one mans twisted dream of bringing a bunch of dirtriders to a cornfield in Illinois. Okie.....you are da man......I'll agree with you about the supporting cast that puts it together but its your dream BOB......You should take a Bow . :thumb:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The hard work is really worth it in the end.  I have so many friends now I can't thank them all for all the nice things that have been said.  Okie's dream is really a reality for the rest of us.  Join in, make the trip and experience the best family reunion you will ever attend, bar none.  At DW01 I crashed and was not in real good condition the rest of the trip but I had an absolute blast.  DW02 was more work but much more rewarding(didn't get injured) :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
^^^ That guy is a MAJOR help getting DW done. Thanks Brian.

You're quite welcome. :thumb:

Top Bottom