Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
when i pull in the clutch on my yz 125 its a verry hard pull, sometimes i have to use 2 hands to fully bring it in. i just bought a new cable so i know for a fact it isnt the cable, it must be a spring somwhere inside the clutch itself. is there anywhay to reduce the tention, or places i could buy springs? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
-Tony

budhoot

Jun 21, 2006
thers a few things you can do here you can loosen the on the fly adjustement to make it looser and easier to pull, getting a hydrolic clutch helps, and even that moose ez pull thingy helps. but try the on the fly adjustement first bro.

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
nope it doesnt slip at all, but its extreamly tight to pull in, budhoot, what do you mean by on the fly ajustments? also could it be the compression springs are to tight or anything like that?

psd

Aug 4, 2006
The on the fly adjustment is on the lever itself. I would take it apart and inspect everything, especially the springs.

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
are the friction plates suppost to be black? cuz there really black

Picture102.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Picture105.jpg

are those chips in that cover thing going to be a problem?

Last edited:

aussiemarc

Aug 3, 2006
yeah dude that is called you clutch outer and you will need to replace it, think about it - the metal chunks which chiped off were floating around in you right hand crank case cover and may have deteriorated your selector fork, drum shifter, bearings and all types of gears, at this point id pull everything off to see you selector shift linkage just to check out the condition.

There also seems to be some chips in your pressure plates, yOur clutch plates look fine, just make sure they are not notched.

It is something I would replace and keep on top of so your future maintenance and costs arent extreme, you best replace any broken arts cos theyll just keep chipping and cause more damage.

marc

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
thanks for the help marc, couple of questions: wich ones are presure plates? the black ones, or the silver? should i just replace all the plates to be safe? how will i know if i ever do burn out the clutch? also what is a selecter fork, drum shifter, and crank case? how will i be able to find the metal peices? i didn't find them in the oil when i drained it. how can i ensure that it wont happen again? also one last one, would the crack's in the cover where the springs go make the springs lose tention causing the clutch to slip? thanks again
-Tony

aussiemarc

Aug 3, 2006
Pressure plates are the silver ones, clutch plates are the ones you said were looking black. Dont know about you yz but my rm goes clutch plate-pressure plate-cp-pp etc etc
it has 8 clutch plates and 7 pps.

Well the chunks probably got crushed into tiny shards and they came out last time you drained you oil but some small ones would remain. Id replace that chipped clutch outer leave the pressure plates atm put it all back together, put in new oil run it for about 15 minutes use (see if the clutch is better now) dump the oils and put some good oil in again.

This doesnt explain why you clutch was so stiff though, there may have been a chunk blocking it somewhere, when you do up your clutch springs make sure there are only tight to 10NM of torque.

As i said before puting it all back together it ungo the big nut with the ear folder over it to remove your clutch basked (the thing that looks similar to the thing you just took off with chips from it. You can probably check the condition of all the gears behind the clutch basket without having to remove the cc cover as i said in the previous post, then check nothing else is chipped or fractured.

Top Bottom