motox282

Nov 3, 2002
Can anyone tell me how I should set up my suspension for my 03 yz125? I weigh about 192. The sag is about 4 inches. Is that right? I need set up for a track like budds creek. I guess the main reason for this is that I went to a track yesterday and it seemed that i wasnt getting enough air on jumps and I would rev my bike to full throttle before the jumps in second gear. I would come up a little short on doubles and not clear tabletops. Is this a suspension set problem or just my riding problem? I havent ridden in like a year so maybe im just a little rusty? ther riders that werent that good were clearing doubles without reving there bikes at all.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Its a riding problem. More speed, ie: grab another gear.....would be helpful. As for race sag(amount of sag w/rider on) should be between 95-100mm, but the problem sounds to me like your not carrying enough speed up to the objects to clear them, not a suspension issue.

motox282

Nov 3, 2002
If i grabbed another gear i wouldnt go anywhere. My bike would struggle to get up to speed for a jump. Other riders are barely gaining speed before there jumps and making them just fine.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Maybe u need to carry more corner speed and revs so it wont fall of the power when u shift to third. It can depend on a few things but a 125 doesn't really jump to far in 2nd gear.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Sounds to me like you're riding in too high of a gear. Your not riding high enough in the RPM, at 192# your clutch work has to be exact. Wind that bike up to 10000 and keep her there. Maybe one tooth up on the front sprocket so you can stay on the power for a longer period of time before shifting.

motox282

Nov 3, 2002
Ill try that this weekend. How should the suspension be set in terms of the compression and rebound for someone thats about 192 lbs?

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
The biggest difference between the novice riders and the experts is CORNER SPEED. Plain and simple. Those other fellows your riding w/are probably pulling 3rd of that jump. I'm just shooting in the wind here, but are you talking about the big gulp that your having a hard time w/? I raced there from 95'-00', and aside from the two uphill table tops that is the only real difficult jump I can think of out there. If thats what you're talking about then I used to fan the clutch hard coming out of that 180 turn and catch 3rd as I was coming up the face on my 125. And Dave is right about your suspension, you may get it close w/ stock springs, but I can tell you now that your bike is set for a target weight range of about 150-170. Again though I reiterate that your jumping distance problem is not a suspension related issue so much as a riding style issue. Its fine man we all learn somehow, so ask away and we'll try to answer w/the best of our abilities. :thumb:

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
To answer your previous question. Your compression will affect your bottoming resistance, and your rebound will affect how well your wheels stay hooked up to the ground. If your looking for us to say 12clicks on comp., and 14clicks on rebound though your not gonna find it. Suspension from what I have learned is different for every rider, and everyone usually likes a different set-up than the next person. Get the right springs, set the race sag, and grab that screwdriver and go to work. :aj: Budds is a great track and you'll find alot of different obstacles to adjust for. Have fun.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Bryan knows his stuff, and as for as your stock springs:
Stock fork spring rate is 0.39 kg/mm
Stock shock spring rate is 4.6 kg/mm

These are best suited for a 150# rider
It's been 28 years since I've ridden Budd's, I'm sure it looks like a different world compared to what I remember. Damn, I just showed my age.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by Whyzee
Bryan knows his stuff, and as for as your stock springs:
Stock fork spring rate is 0.39 kg/mm
Stock shock spring rate is 4.6 kg/mm

These are best suited for a 150# rider
It's been 28 years since I've ridden Budd's, I'm sure it looks like a different world compared to what I remember. Damn, I just showed my age.
...........was Budds even a pro national then........ :moon: Just kiddin Dave. ;) Since 95' it hasn't really changed much. All the jumps that were doubles are now tabletops, and theres an extra timing section in there that wasn't there when I first started going. We've been going consecutively since 95'(making it 7yrs. thus far), unfortunately, this yr. I'm gonna miss it. My fiance' wants to go to beach week w/her h/s friends.....I'll be back next yr.!

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
I think stock is .41kg and 4.7kg. To get the correct sag for your weight u will need about a 5.0kg shock spring or after u set your sag u will have no free sag. A.42kg fork spring will keep things balanced. This will be your starting point. If u are still unhappy (u should be) a revalve is needed. The 03 yzeds are harsh but will still bottom. The best answer is getting the correct springs for your weight and then a revalve to add plushness and bottoming resistance. ps work on that corner speed.

motox282

Nov 3, 2002
thanks for all the advice, ill work on that corner speed. i think my problem right now with carrying high corner speed is the fear of my rear end always slipping out from under me. Any advice with that?

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Take a day go somewhere, and practice. I had the same prob. I was so nervous about layin it over I never really pushed myself to my fullest ability. I actually became fast w/corner speed once I QUIT racing mx, mostly because it wasn't a big deal if I fell. Just got out there, and push it. If you never push you never know what your capable of. Other than that, I think we've more than stepped out of what this column is intended for, and if you would like anymore riding help I'll bet the guys in the how to forum would love to help ya. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom