Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I just bought a used 03 YZ450 and I don't have the manual so I was wondering how much oil it holds, and what is the oil change procedure. I know how to drain the oil (duh), but do you just add oil to the frame dipstick or the motor, or both.

When I check the oil after sitting overnight, it doesn't register on the dipstick, but I can run the engine and then shut it off, wait 15 min, check, and it overflows out of the dipstick. So I must be doing something wrong.

Also, I want to check the valve adjustment, so what is the valve spec.

I am not stupid, this is just my first 4 stroke dirt bike.

Thanks

B

biglou

It holds 1 liter. Add to the case only. 1.1 liter with filter clean/change. Start it, let it run for 60-90 seconds. Shut it off, drain oil out of case and frame drain, change/clean oil filter. Add 1 liter to case, start it, let it run for a minute or so, shut off, wait 60 seconds, check dipstick. Midrange on the stick is desirable.

Check valves at TDC (look through plug on left case cover). .004-.006 in. intake, .008-.010 exhaust. Check COLD.

Disclaimer-This is all from memory, I'll double check when I get home here in a couple hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

biglou

I just double checked. Those numbers are correct for valve clearance. Note they are in inches, not mm's. If they are out of spec, you'll need to know what # shim is in each out of spec valve before you know which replacement shim you'll need.

Also, above, where I said start and let run for 60 secs or so after adding new oil, I forgot to mention, "shut it off", wait a minute, check dipstick.

And roost that CAL guy for me if you get the chance! :thumb:

Top Bottom