mxrider2002

Jan 2, 2003
i decided to inspect the cylinder on my yz 80. i have never done this before and i didnt have a manuel, but ive seen people do it and im pretty mechanically inclined. after i took off the cylinder i noticed there was coolant in the crank or on the opposite side of the piston. is this a normal place for coolant to be or did i just relly f*** up my bike?

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
That is why. The radiator emptied into your crankcase.

Flip the bike upside down and drain it out, Rinse with WD40 real good.. Be care flipping it over as not to lose the oil from trans. Drain that too first to be sure :).

mxrider2002

Jan 2, 2003
i just did that and i did drain the oil first to see if the coolant would just drain out with the oil but it didnt work. are you sure that wd40 wont interfere with anything?

RickinNC

Jul 18, 2001
The coolant wouldn't come out with the oil, since the oil is only in the transmission... the coolant has only gotten in the crankcase portion of your engine. Do as MikeS said and rinse the affected crankcase area with WD40 and you should be good to go.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
...then buy a shop manual so you can torque the cylinder and head correctly. You may want to replace the ring while it's apart as well.

Top Bottom