KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
Hey, I'm looking to switch back to a 4-stroke.I plan on riding 25% motocross and 75% woods.Would I be bettter off getting a yz250f and make it decent for woods or how are they stock in the woods.Or do you think i would be better off getting a wr250f and trying to make it good motocross to.Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
My .02cents is go wr.
Yz seat and tank and springs is cheaper than kickstand, lighting coil, heavier flywheel, wr gearbox...

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
Well i don't really car for a light since I won't be doing a lot of racing.Is the Wr gearbox neede or the Yz gear box suitable.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
KTMdude, One of my best riding buddies use to be a woods junkie and he bought a WR250F (the YZ was WAY out of the question when he got it)
But I turned him on to MX, and now he is hooked but has the best of both worlds.
The pipe is fairly weak on the WR, but a simple pipe swap and the WR really flexes it's muscle. He bought a YZ seat and tank and still has the stock set up if he wants to ride a H.S etc....

A few clicks on the suspension and you can have a VERY friendly and aggresive MX bike, a few clicks back and you have a plush smooth trail raider. So with the WR it's hard to loose :aj:

I would reccomend the WR in your situation.

Just incase you were wondering off the top of my head the differnces are......
The WR has a heavier flywheel
Bigger tank
Softer bigger seat
Lighter fork springs (same suspension as YZ just set up different)
Wide Ratio Tranny (never a problem on a MX track)
Kick stand (easy bolt off :) )
Lights, front and rear (once again easy bolt off and cheap replacement)

Hope this helps

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
no i don't think so. in my personal opinion, the YZF seat/tank is a MUST for the WR250F. the large seat/tank ruins the WRs excellent, slim-line feel. i have heard of people using a YZF in the woods, but i don't see how the gearbox ratios can work effectively under different off-road terrain. i use the low first gear on my WR almost everytime i ride, when descending steep (i mean really steep!) rocky hills. i also come close to hitting the rev limiter in fifth when running down fast fire trails (even though it is stupid). i am sure i would be left behind without that tallish fifth gear.
i also MX my WR, and the gear box is well suited. i never use 1st gear on a MX track, so that isn't an issue. i have fitted aftermarket YZF plastics (fender and numberplate), and they went straight on.

the other things that i can think of that may be relevant to you is:
*extra radiator core in WR (2001 YZF had some overheating issues)
*18" rear rim on WR. 19" on YZF (all serious enduro bikes are fitted with 18" rims, such as the KTM EXC's)
*steel subframe on WR. aluminium on YZF. there is a weight difference, but i seriously doubt it is noticeable.
Canadianrider made all the other valuable points.
please note that all of the mods made to the YZF to turn it into a WR are there to make the bike more competitive for its intended purpose. competition enduro. 2001 World Enduro Champion Stephane Peterhansel won on a WRF250. some people seem to have the misconception that the YZF is a 'race bike', whereas the WRF is a 'trail bike'. once the WRF is de-restricted, nothing could be futher from the truth.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
KTMdude I am not positive, but I believe it some parts of the bike it makes it taller, and towoards the back it gets shorter? Ill PM my buddy who has this set up and get the correct info. :D

Top Bottom