Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I hate doing this again, but its been awhile since my last one. And i was set on the YZ125, but then because i don't have enought money yet i think, And think, And think. And start to worry myself with is this really what i want? And i don't know but im starting to think that a KDX would be better for my needs. And i've been regretting to do tis for 3 days. but i decided why not... So yeah, here is my thingey.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6' 1", 186lbs, 16years old.
2) How physical / aggressive are you?
i find myself VERY aggressive. I WANNA GO FAST! :aj: hehe
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Alot of everything. Ill do alot of trials, yard fields, hills. But i live next door to a dirt bike track. so ill be over there. Ill do some motocross/hair scrambles.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
2 years on KE100, and some RM80 riding. I pick up on how to ride and where my limits are fast.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Yes, i live next door. (love it!)
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes...
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
2-stroke. Hands down!!
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes, Kawasaki is the closest. But the rest are 5 min further. Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
What ever it costs. But ill be buying used...
10) Do you live in California?
Nope...
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion?

I wanted a Yz125. because is race oriented. And when i rode my friends RM80 it seemed like enough power and such to get me around here. But its bottom end was bad. but i figured with some mods it would be fine.

But the KDX has more CC, and its made for trails that it would be better for here because it would be good for the trails and hills. And with some mods i could get it to have good accel but still lots of bottom end (which equals wheelies!=good!) And it has a headlight. But im afraid of getting tired with the power. Not enough. Because i got bored with my KE100 FAST. AND my go kart 150cc seems like a turd. But this isn't that good of a race, Maybe for the hair scrambles but not MX.

So as you can see im tore in between these two fine bike. And another thing does the KDX have a good aftermarket variety?

Thanks if you can help me forum an opinion.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Alot of everything. Ill do alot of trials, yard fields, hills. But i live next door to a dirt bike track. so ill be over there. Ill do some motocross/hair scrambles.

This is why I think you should get a 125 2 stroke. I'm going to be riding trails all summer, and I'm sticking with my CR133, I may or may not get a newer bike before the end of this year, but chances are by Spring of '08 I'll be on a newer bike.

With the track next to your house, and you on a KDX 220, it won't make much sense. But if you get a YZ125, then you can double dip, trails and mx track.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
It comes down to what is more important to you a more capable woods bike or the more capable mxer? Personally I'd be looking for a used KTM 200 EXC 2 stroke as I think it would handle both woods and track better than the KDX.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yeah thats what i was thinking the first time.

And yeah i know. Thats whats has me stumped. I dont knwo if im going to do each other more than the other or not.

But KTM is out because the only KTM dealer that i know of closed..

What about some things i can do to make either one do better in the oposite field?
Like the YZ125. What can i do to give it more bottom end? a new pipe, reeds, and flywheel weights? Will that really make that much of a difference? Which one would make the greater difference?

Jan 3, 2007
The KDX can be a good MX bike to a point. I have done a 50 or so foot table on a KDX. If you are like me you would like the KDX but push it too far to quick. But like said befor it all depends on what you are more comited to.

"REV"

Uhhh...
Mar 5, 2007
The kdx is SO much of an improvement on your current ride I can only assume you will love it and will be fine. Remember, the 220 and 200 are very similar. Identical even.

KDX on an mx track? Fun, but not competitive.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yeah, i know. Anything is an improvement from my ride. And i know the KDX200, and 220 are identical, ive been readin up on them, but i guess i would shoot for the more CC's if i would get it. But the main reason i would get the KDX is because i wouldent be over at the track as much as my yard and fields. BUT i do want to race. Because i live so close. And im worried about getting the KDX because i dont know if im going to get bored with the power. I dont want it for the summer and then be bored when i ride it. And if i do is there a large aftermaket selection for the KDX? I know there is for the YZ125.

But ill be riding in yards and fields more than on the track because there is a $20.00 entry fee...

I just dont want to be bored with it. I want to be able to do weelies on demand. And fly up big hills, and do hill climbs. And jump, and race. And NOT get bored with the power. I want to be able to go fast if i wanted to. I was thinking of a 250MX bike but my cousine says it gives him a workout. And he has been riding since he was 6.. I dont want to get bored. And i dont want a 4-stroke.

And blackcat. That makes it alittle harder becaus of these quotes:

If you're big, over 200 pounds, or more of a "lazy" rider, a 200cc bike isn't going to suit you
i dont know what they mean by that. Im not either of those but..?

Jan 3, 2007
who ever said that has not ridden the KDX200 or 220. The 200 is a good lazy bike for bigger rides.

I think a 250 would be the best is your situation. It has bottom end power for trails and can be very good on the track.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yeah it has crossed my mind. but afte seaing my cousin fighting with a YZ250. And telling me other stuff. And from what other people say i dont want to get in over my head.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I'd get a YZ125. I'm actually looking into one myself, but I may bump up to a CR250 cause I'm a little taller than most.

For woods riding, you can always change stuff on your YZ to make it easier for you in the woods. Like sprockets, porting etc.

"REV"

Uhhh...
Mar 5, 2007
The KDX has HUGE aftermarket Support.

I'm 6'1 220lbs, This thing moves me just fine. I rip up bigger hills past big bore ktm's. It is about gaining rider skill. This bke is perfect for growing with the rider. If I don't make it up a hill, the last thing I would blame is my bike... :bang:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Having owned both a 125 and a KDX in the past, maybe I can shed some light on this for you. The YZ will be a much better woods bike than the KDX will be on the track. In fact, with the right mods, the YZ could even be a better woods bike. The KDX's are nice bikes, but they are heavy and have a limited suspension. What the KDX does have that the YZ will never have is a motor that can lug it's way through just about any thing. But I'd choose the modern suspension over the tractor-like engine any day.

Jan 3, 2007
I have been thinking and the KDX would be a fine bike on the track if not racing in compition. I did a 30ft double on my 7&7 inches of traval on my bike. So, i think i could eaisly do a 60ft or so gap. It has good amount of traval and with a revalve it would be awsome.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
2 strokes for life said:
I have been thinking and the KDX would be a fine bike on the track if not racing in compition.
The suspension on my KDX was setup for woods riding - very compliant. It was down right spooky on an MX track.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yeah i was thinking that i mine as well stick to the 125. From what ive read the kdx is a good beginner bike. And i dont want that.

And then i was thinking of a 250t MX bike (like the KX250) but i think it would be a litte much. BUT if i do run into one with the right price etc i would probebley buy it. And if i couldent handel it :coocoo: , or wasen't ready for it i could easly trade it for a 125.

Thanks for you help on this alot!

And what are some things i can do to make it a good trail bike and mx bike? The main i could thank of is Flywheel weights, and a new exhaust. And a skid plate.

And once agian. Thanks alot for the help :nod:

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
There's not a better trail bike than the kdx, but if you want an all around bike to be able to use at the track as well as trails, I would go with a 125.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Moparman1539 said:
And what are some things i can do to make it a good trail bike and mx bike? The main i could thank of is Flywheel weights, and a new exhaust. And a skid plate.

In addition to what you mentioned:

Bark Busters
Go up a few teeth on the rear sprocket
Cut your bars down a bit (if you are riding tight woods). Start with a 1/2 inch on each side and go from there.

ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
Last summer when I started riding, my uncle has a kdx200 or 220 cant remember, but it was a GREAT beginer bike but when you got tired and you fell over it was the hardest damn thing to pick up. After I got use to riding it and got faster on it I found a yz125 and bought it and I was faster on my yz, and when it fell over I could easily pick it up :P

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yes this is a VERY HARD decision. My cousin wants me to get a 250f (but i dont want one) so HE can race it nect door.(he would get one, but he is going to get a supermoto). And ive been doing my homework and read that you can be lazy on a 250 2-stroke. And that you dont have to stay on the powerban to go. And have enough power left over. And i could keep it for ALONG time before i get tired of it. And tto show my cousin i can handel stuff. He doesnt think i can do anything. He was suprised i could ride an 80cc.... (which wasen't anything) And i consider myself big enough.

I just need money.. i have to finish filling out my application...

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Moparman1539 said:
But KTM is out because the only KTM dealer that i know of closed..

So? I live down 35 miles of dirt road and my nearest Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer is 65 miles. I don't even know WHERE my nearest KTM dealer would be- 150 miles, I think. But, KTMTalk is a click away, there's a lot of knowledgeable dealers just an e-mail away, and UPS delivers to my door.

I have done the mix of riding and I've owned a KDX200, KX125, and KTM 200sx (all at the same time!). Of those three, the KTM was far and away the best all around bike. I'd have one again, you betchya, no problem. Great bikes.

Top Bottom