ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Okay... So i've been looking through past threads about gearing for woods riding.

Me: 5'10" @ 170lbs
Bike: '02 YZ250
I mainly ride open woods/trails and would like my gearing to be a little better for not being on the pipe as much but i dont want to sacrafice my top speed and always be looking for 6th when i open it up. What are my options? How much will my top speed be affected if i switch to a 13f/51 rear?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
ls1cameric said:
Okay... So i've been looking through past threads about gearing for woods riding.

Me: 5'10" @ 170lbs
Bike: '02 YZ250
I mainly ride open woods/trails and would like my gearing to be a little better for not being on the pipe as much but i dont want to sacrafice my top speed and always be looking for 6th when i open it up. What are my options? How much will my top speed be affected if i switch to a 13f/51 rear?

What's your gearing now?

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
robwbright said:
What's your gearing now?

I'm guessing stock beause I bought it used but i'll have to actually count the teeth to be sure because the guy put a bunch of mods on it before i bought it.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
The # of teeth been stamped on all my rears. Lots quicker than counting, but you have to look for it and it may require cleaning. ;)

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
robwbright said:
The # of teeth been stamped on all my rears. Lots quicker than counting, but you have to look for it and it may require cleaning. ;)

Yeah that might be a tad easier than counting and getting half way through and having to start over because the "soon to be wife" gets me sidetracked by asking WTF I'm doing now to my bike! lol...

I"M WORKIN! GDMMIT! :pissed: lol... j.k.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
On my RM I've played with sprockets from 11/49 to 12/52 (I also have a 50). I didn't personally notice that much difference when changing a tooth or two on the rear.

However, changing a tooth on the front is a different matter . . . that was definitely noticable.

If you had 2 fronts and 3 rears you'd be able to experiment quite a bit.

For what it's worth, the JT rears seem to hold up well and they're pretty cheap.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
ls1cameric said:
Yeah that might be a tad easier than counting and getting half way through and having to start over because the "soon to be wife" gets me sidetracked by asking WTF I'm doing now to my bike! lol...

I"M WORKIN! GDMMIT! :pissed: lol... j.k.

Oh it won't stop there. Mine is somehow connected to the oil changes, on the rare occastions when I'm pouring it in she somehow knows to come out to the garage, and demands immediate and full attention 1/2 thru a pour; been through this many a time. As a result much becomes distributed on the outside rather than the in...

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Well going from stock 14/50 (ratio of 3.57)to 13/51(ratio of 3.92) would be a 9.8% slow down(great gains in the lower speed power) I would say try the front first, cheaper and will let you still decide after you add it, then you can go up or down on the rear as needed. One down in the front is approx like going up 3 in the rear.

Just some ideas for you
Lok

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Okay so i checked the #'s and the front is the stock 14 and the rear is a 49... So if i change the rear bafck to a 50, it's really not gonna do anything major right? Now if i change the front to a 13, it will give me more low end?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
ls1cameric said:
Okay so i checked the #'s and the front is the stock 14 and the rear is a 49... So if i change the rear bafck to a 50, it's really not gonna do anything major right? Now if i change the front to a 13, it will give me more low end?

Yep. It would be about like going to a 52 or 53 rear.

You'll likely notice the difference. It's worth a shot - especially since you can usually get a front for less than $20.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
robwbright said:
Yep. It would be about like going to a 52 or 53 rear.

You'll likely notice the difference. It's worth a shot - especially since you can usually get a front for less than $20.

Sounds good, I'll change the front to a 13 and see what the diff is. :cool:

Thanks mane!

uhlanmc

Aug 23, 2005
try a flywheel weigh and leave the gearing stock. we ride technical single track in the sierra and it does make a big difference on the tight woods and slower sections. I still have some speed for the desert as well. good luck

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
uhlanmc said:
try a flywheel weigh and leave the gearing stock. we ride technical single track in the sierra and it does make a big difference on the tight woods and slower sections. I still have some speed for the desert as well. good luck

Another option... How difficult is it to install a flywheel weight? Yes, I'm mechanically inclined!

Any instructions.

uhlanmc

Aug 23, 2005
Generally flywheel weights are easy to put in, but you need a stator puller tool and holder to remove the nut on the stator. I believe Moose makes a new stator replacement with the weight built in. If you know someone with these tools do it. They're not cheap, but we do some really nasty rock garden type trails and I don't use the clutch as some of my friends do.

Top Bottom