YZ250 questions (engine and/or fork swaps)

mikev

Apr 19, 2004
First post, NICE site btw! I'm a regular @ bayarearidersforum.com and cvhooligans.com

anyhoo.. .my buddies convinced me to start playin in the dirt :D

The story:

I bought a 92 YZ250 for 1200 bucks. I thought it was a pretty good deal (FMF Fatty pipe, FMF silencer w/ spark arrestor, new engine from a 98 YZ recently rebuilt). The thing pulls HARD. My buddy has a 90 RM250, and it surprised him how much power this thing has, even cold.

The bad: I didn't notice, and neither did my buddy (oops.). I took the bike to a local shop to have them replace the fork seals and set up the front suspension for my weight, etc. At that point, I was informed that the bike has KTM forks on it (WTF!) which are too small in diameter to fit the Yammie clamps, and whoever did the work to it decided to use SPACERS to make the forks fit in the clamps (think of a soda can with the ends cut off. Wrap that around the fork tube and clamp it down.), plus there are no bearings in the steering head, just a bunch of washers and spacers.

Okay, so I sorta feel burned. I contacted the guy I bought it from, and he had no problem giving me my money back (cool dude, honestly didn't know about the front end he says). Gave me back 600 bucks, and I'm waiting for the rest this week (I still have the bike and paperwork). He also offered to let me keep the bike for 600 bucks, which I'm now sorta considering. Here's why:

Another buddy of mine has an 89 YZ250 that needs motor work. The wheels start turning in my head, and I can pick up this bike from him for basically nothing... anybody else puttin 2 and 2 together here?

Okay, Cliffs Notes version:

Is it possible to swap the front end from an 89 YZ250 onto a 92 YZ250? If not, how about swapping the motor from the 92 into the 89??? I could part out teh rest of the other bike I'm sure, and pretty much have a decent beater bike for not a lot of cash, right?

Any replies are appreciated, hopefully they'll be the ones I'm wanting to hear!

Thanks,

-M

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Im sure tthats possible, why dont you just buy new clamps to fit the ktm forks? And install new bearings. Ohh and if if you can get the 89, do and keep it for cheap spares!

mikev

Apr 19, 2004
Thanks for the reply, but I'm just going to get my money back for the bike from the guy I bought it from.

I just checked out a 91 RM125 thats pretty sweet, guy wants 1500 obo for it.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Are you mad.....NO OFFENCE.....I learnt the hard way with buying older bikes as my first ride. I bought a 96rm125 for 1000 that looked nice....it was a 91 bike....i was so stupid that when i got it home and rode it.. i thought it needed a clutch...well i bought a manual and found out that the bike needed a clutch set,baskt hub, bearings, plates , springs($500), then an engine rebuild....no chrome left on bore(got that plated(200)) and a piston kit ($120) and a few stickers and graphics to put on those new plastics i just bought....ow and new tires. Then after it was rebuilt and i learnt how to ride i found out it needed shock,swingarm, and linkage bearings. ALL SEIZED.
My advise if you can do up the bike you have for cheap do so,(if its safe).. If not i would go to a dealer and ask for any customers selling off old bikes....i just bought a completely origional TM250e 1996 for 1450!! Have a look around first do not jump at the first thing because you are excited......get a friend or pay a mechanic to come with you when buying used and do not rush into it! Unless that rm is like new you are getting ripped! SLOW DOWN AND BE CAREFULL FOLLOW YOUR HEAD AND NOT YOUR HEART......DO NOT BUY JUST AS IT LOOKS NICE! Wish you all the best of luck with your biking....Cheers Steven.

epatt

Aug 18, 2003
I wouldn't pay 1500 for a 91 year model anything, especially a 125. There comes a point that you just have to spend a little bit more money to get something a LOT better. There are many 98-01 year bikes floating around in the 2k range. Unless you can pick up a real old bike for like 500 bucks and you know a good place to get parts, I would not touch it.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
If thats a 98 engine as he says it is.I would deffo keep it. All KTM forks are great especially for play riding. Whats it gonna cost 220 for the tag privateer kit and bearings 40. Then thats it. Good bike netter than any rubbish rm(all offence ment i wouldnt touch another illtreated 91 again)

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
If you like the YZ250, get another one if you are uncomfortable with the one you originally bought. Going from that bike to a RM125 is, how do I say this without offending you, CRAZY! It will have NO POWER in comparison.

As blanc says, take your time and buy a good bike (though, I wouldn't go crazy and get a TM :joke: ). A well maintained early 90s Honda or Yamaha 250 is hard to beat.

Top Bottom