MOTOPHILE

Jan 1, 2003
I am on the verge of selling my KTM 300 EXC in order to put a down payment an a new YZ 250F. Though my current bike is relatively old ('96), it is set up exactly how I want it (EXCEPT FOR THE WOODEN SEAT!) and I am almost satisfied with keeping it. BUT. I have a buyer lined up already who wants to give me more for it than it will ever be worth again. I have been meditating intensly for years now and have decided to go for a Japanese THUMPER, YZ250F, as my choice Cross Country racer and all around fun bike. I am not a rich man (I dont own a 40' Winnebago) and other than a Scotts Steering Stabilizer I do not want to spend alot of money on after market products. Enough about me and on to my main question. Does anyone know how many miles a 250F can go on a tank of gas in a Cross Country setting? I do not look forward to making a pitstop every 20 miles or buying a bigger tank/seat combo, and a WR is out of the question. 50 miles per tank would be great, but I am not familiar with 4-stroke fuel consumption and would like a little help from my future brothers in the thumper world.

Thanks, Ron

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
im not sure the exact mileage, but me and my friend went on a 2 hour trail ride with his '03 250f and he used up a little less than 1/2 a tank in a hour, im kind of worried myself becuase im buying one soon too, i would hate to be 20 miles out and find out ill be pushing my bike back... i think you better look into an oversize tank.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have a 2001 YZ250F and I can get fifty trail riding miles out of a tankfull with no trouble. And that's at a pretty fast pace. If the pace were slower, it might go sixty miles. The last time I rode with my son, his stock KDX needed gas before my YZF did.

However, I am thinking that the stock tank is slightly smaller on the 2003/2004.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Why is the WR is out of the question? I have a 03WR250 my first hare scramble I did was tight and hard pack and I had 1.4 gallons left the second 2hr was fast and hilly after that one I just hit reserve back to the pits

MOTOPHILE

Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by kx200
Why is the WR is out of the question? I have a 03WR250 my first hare scramble I did was tight and hard pack and I had 1.4 gallons left the second 2hr was fast and hilly after that one I just hit reserve back to the pits

I have considered the WR but I weigh 200lbs. fully clad. Everything I read about the WR is that it is low on power compared to the YZF. Also, at my weight, the YZF suspension and transmission should work great for me in Cross Country. How do you feel about the power of the WR? And the gearing? Have you ever ridden a YZF?
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES EVERYONE! KEEP'EM COMING!

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
I've gone on some pretty long rides, not sure on mileage though, but I've never even come close to running out on my 01. We usually ride for 4 hours and that includes a lot of breaks and in that time I burn a little over 1/2 a tank.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I'd give the wr a chance. I weigh 195 with gear on and the bike has plenty of power stock. You can strip it down to remove most of the weight.
All you need to do to the wr to make it nearly as fast as a yz is cut the grey wire, unplug the muffler, and remove the throttle stop. Takes about 15 minutes.
If that's not enough you can put in a yz cam ($200)
You'll save $$ with the wr. It comes with the bigger tank and spark arrester.
That being said they are both great bikes and you can't go wrong with either.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
The WR also has a wider range tranny that I would think a more heavy rider would like, lower 1st gear and faster 5th gear. Dose the YZ 250F have a 5th gear this year? I think the YZ 450 is a 4 speed. If you at all concerned about the power on a 250F, I would be as Im a 200 Lb rider also, maybe consider the WR 450F ? With the extra power you wont need to mess with a new YZ cam and you wont have the rev the life out of the 250 F.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
MOTOPHILE
A KX200 is a KX125 chassis with a KDX200 motor. Basically you have to build one. I had Jeff Fredette build mine back in 1994 before the new style (1995) came out. It’s what Kawasaki should be building, along with the stock KDX, then sit back and see which one sells the best.

The WR got a bad rap when it first came out, and remember that the WR’s 250's 4th gear is the same as the YZ’s 5th gear

MOTOPHILE

Jan 1, 2003
Very interesting. Thanks for all of the replies. My 300EXC wears me out before I use a full tank of gas. That is one reason I want a smaller 4-stroke. Im hoping that when I get a 250f I will be able to go faster longer. It will be like running with leg weights (300EXC) and kicking them off and floating (250f) across the finish line. I am going down to the Yamaha shop right now. Thanks all. See you out there!

Pathfinder4

Sep 4, 2001
My son and I have been racing (enduros mostly) YZ250F since they first came out. I have onwed 2 '01, and 02 and an 03.

The 03 will get 35 to 40 mile on its very small tank. The 02 will go 45 at least.

They are GREAT bikes.

Top Bottom