studwand

Jul 6, 2009
I got an 05 yz250f. It is sometimes a bitch to start. It usually starts first or second kick, but if i dont get it within those two kicks, lets just say ill get one heck of a workout to get her started.

Another problem im having (i think) is that my bike seems to have a slower top speed than it did 2-3 months ago. I bought it used early summer so i have no idea when the last time its had the valves readjusted.

Any suggestions on what the problems could be?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I have a YZ400 that can be difficult to start at times. If it doenst start cold on the 5th kick choked, it is likely flooded. Unchoke it and pull the hot start...it will run for a second and burn up the fuel. Choke again and kick it...it works for my bike. Of course, if your carb needs cleaning...address that issue first.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
studwand said:
It's not the carb, i cleaned that mid july and have put about 20 hours on it since.

Do it again. I see people all the time bring carbs they say were "just cleaned" and the bowl is not even cleaned out! Sorry, but the pilot jet is the smallest jet in the carb and easiest to plug up. CLEAN IT AGAIN is all I can say. 10 feet, 10 seconds or 10 hours, you need to clean it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Look before you end up with the bike in a zillion pieces do this methodically. Start with the valves, check them, adjust as necessaey, see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work then do a compression / leak sown check to see where you are relative to the numbers in your service manual. If that doesn't resolve it or point at the problem clean the carb for grins. Just don't do the shotgun approach and try everything at once and then end up with a bigger problem than you started with.

Top Bottom