YZ250F vs. XR400: Will I eat crow?

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Just ran into two of my riding buddies that I haven't seen in a while. They ride XR400s. Have for awhile. I just switched from riding 2 smokes forever to a 02 YZ250F. They kinda laughed when I told them I bought a 4 stroke (they always made fun of the 2 smokes I rode like KTM EXC 250, YZ250). So I buy a 4stroke and they have a hard time beliving that a 250F could even stay in the hunt with their awesome XR400. It's all in fun but they told me there's no way this thing can climb the hills like their XRs because of the 125 like torque. My bikes has a FMF Ti-4, power now, BK mod, jetted just right and a 49t in the rear and really seems to move. I've yet to feel disadvantaged when riding with bigger bikes because we usually ride the tight stuff here in Oregon that's greasy most of the time. After trying to convince them I decided to hook up and ride a poker run end of this month and now I'm wondering if I'm going to look like a fool. I've never ridden a XR 400 but they've got like 32hp stock and weigh like 246 dry. I never had a problem staying with, or passing, them with my 2 strokes and I actually think I'm faster for longer on the 250F. :thumb: But am I going to get smoked on the hills and the trails by these guys? :uh: They're convinced the baby thumper is gutless off the bottom. What do you guys think? Thanks Dennis

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Just remember the rule: 10% bike, 90% rider.

A good rider will make most people look bad even if he is riding an XL125.

pontiac

May 9, 2002
I think Jon K said it nicely.

Yeah the XR400 has more torque and builds more power down low, but you're bike is lighter & more nimble. Each bike has its own set if strengths & weaknesses, but your 250F is a good weapon in the right hands. If you're a much better rider, then I wouldn't be losing any sleep. Most of all, have a great time! :yeehaw:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Jon K is right on target. Forget about all the BLA BLA, go ride, have fun, nothing else matters. :laugh:

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Another Oregon rider here, the 250 will do fine! :yeehaw: I ride in Southern Oregon and my WR250f has no problem keeping up with my buddies on XR400's, TE410's YZ/WR4**'s and other bigger bikes. On the tight single track the 250 is more nimble and less tiring. I was a little hesitent on getting a 250, but a friend is 260lb, and has a 250 and 400 and rides the 250 threes times as often as his 400. :aj:
Which Poker Run are you doing?

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
It's the Teepee run at Mccubbins gulch beginning of June. Not really any big hills. Mostly tight rocky powerline trails.

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
It will do great on that stuff! :aj: I'd let your buddies try the 250F, then pass judgement, that's all it took for me to go out and buy one. :thumb:

Top Bottom