fred_durst

Mar 25, 2002
Hello

I am getting a new motorbike sometime this month and I am trying to decide on a Xr250 or an Xr400. I ride trails, dirt roads, a little bit of jumping, and climb hills (some of them fairly big) I am an experianced rider, have had a motorbike since I was 7, then moved onto a Xr200 last year and found that to be a little boring. I'm 14, about 5'6, and weigh 140 pounds. I really want the Xr400 but my dad doesnt think i'm big enough an it has to much power. Anything you guys can tell him to try and convince him? Thanx a lot!

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
A kdx would be a good compromise, more power than an xr250 and less weight then a xr400. Also, they are very reliable and will provide years of service.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
If you definitely want an XR, get the XR250R. There's no way you can handle the 400, IMHO. But, you should check out other bikes like the Yamaha WR250F, Kawasaki KDX200 or Suzuki DRZ250E. Good luck.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You're 5'6", 140lbs, coming off of an XR200R. Unless you ride desert, wide open roads, etc, I don't think any 14 year old could handle a bike like that. I could see if you were 5'11" or more, weighing atleast 160lbs. What happens if you crash? An XR400R is HEAVY. I haven't ridden an XR400R, but I have ridden an XL250S, which is similiar in the weight department. I dumped it, and there was no way I could get that bike up by myself. I'm 5'9 or 10", 140lbs. Trust me, your dad is right, go for the 250, not the 400. Have fun. Also, 250s have lots of hop-up potential.

fred_durst

Mar 25, 2002
This is the only bike I will get so if it's underpowered I am going to have to live with it whereas with the 400 I can grow into right? Thanx

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Sounds like you already have your mind made up that you are getting a 400. It is nonsense to get a bike in hopes of growing into it. You get the bike that works for you right now, then move up if you need to. Maybe you should think about a KDX or something that would be in between the 250 and the 400.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Here is my take,

I have a riding bud who is 5'4 and 160 lbs (he's 35) and the XR was tall and heavy for him (heck it's tall and heavy for me and I'm 5'10" and 185!)

He would be frustrated a lot when he got stuck on side hills or on climbs because he could not touch to re start the bike. He had to always stop near a rock or a log so he could relight the motor.

I don't think this is a power issue but a physics issue, at your size wreastleing a larger bike may be less fun.

If you go for the 400 which is 20 lbs heavier than the 250 you may want to get a lowering link this would drop the height about 1 inch. It will help you touch the ground. Heck get the link for either bike! (around $100) You can pull it when you grow taller.

If it were me, I'd get the 250, ride it a summer. Do some summer jobs and save up for the following:

Decent bars (i.e. Renthals)
SRC fork brace
Vortip exhaust (or other aftermarket pipe, but the Vortip is cheap and gives good power with out a lot more sound)
Good skid plate and chain guard
SRC Hand guards (these are indestructable!)

IF you want more juice next year, for a couple hundred bucks you can get the 280 kit done. Most guys are FASTER on the 280 than the 400!

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've ridden a 400 and to be honest it was fun but too heavy. I'm giving the idea of XR280 project bike with USD forks (a complete front end actually) and even making it a dual sporter. Something that I can keep around for a spare bike but something that I'll be able to live with for a year or so until either KTM gets a REAL 250RFS out, the Husky TE250 is proven and available or I get really interested in a CRF250. My nephew was about your size when his dad had his 400 and there was NO WAY he could have dealt with that bike stalling or in tight low speed situations. I'm 5'10" and 210 and I'm not really interested in it.

Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
Just for a sligthly different take. My next door neighbor kid is 14 and had an XR200R that he rode for 3 years. He is 14, 5'6" and wieghs 142 lbs. He rode my XR400 last summer and bought one 2 months ago. We ride Chadwick, Missouri which is rather difficult riding and so far he has ridden virtually all of the hardest trails. He has had some minor problems starting on hills and such but is growing so fast that shouldn't be a problem shortly. For what its worth he loves the extra low end power of the 400.

fred_durst

Mar 25, 2002
Thanks a lot guys (gals? ;) I have a lot to think abour right now, but i'm leaning towards the 400 (can ya tell? ;) This place truly is the best! I will report back soon, happy riding!

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I've got the 400 and my friend on the 250 was always faster than me. I'm 200 lbs & 5'7" and the 400 is pretty darn heavy when you have to pick it up. Drop it more than a few time & you're exhausted. I'd go for the 250 & put the 280 kit in it when you feel the time is right.

fred_durst

Mar 25, 2002
Actually Suzuki Joe you are mistaken...a Xr400 only weighs 257 pounds, 17 pounds difference between the 250 AND 0.6 of an inch higher. I went and sat on one today and just about touched tippy toe. Here is the thing though, my parents will let me get a Mx125 (Cr, Yz etc) but not a Xr400. Can someone explain to them that a 125 is just as fast or faster (with more power) than an xr400. Also, does anyone know how much horsepower a Xr400 pumps out and how much a cr125 pumps out, thanx again!

Last edited:

ride_red_15

Uhhh...
Oct 14, 2001
dude you have no idea how much power an XR400 pumps out..not even close to a 125. the 400 is heavy as hell, thats why i sold it. you could never handle the power it has

henkholland

Oct 26, 2000
any 125 mx-er does more hp (about 45 i guess) than the (officially) 34? of the xr400r and the xr is about 60 pounds heavier; this makes the mx-er a nervous rocket, also due to the 2-stroke engine with small powerband. I had an xr250, but it's underpowered. My present xr400 is ok but heavy. I say go for a two-stroke enduro bike like a KTM 200, KDX or GASGAS200. Don't take an mx-er for trail riding. Yesterdag i rode the 4-speed GASGAS250 mx-er. Man I got tired; it's really an on/off engine. Next lap on my xr400 was relaxed. Still some top guys at the event said the GG was a nice enduro-bike but not really a hard hitting mx-er. So, it all comes down to skills and the bikes have to grow with your skills.

teknoterd

Jun 28, 2001
hey
i have a mate that came off of an XR200 and went to an XR400 and he was 15 at the time he is about 5, 8 and weighs about 65kg/130lbs. and he has grown into the bike, although when he got it, it was way to big 4 him, but he ahs grown intop it.
just my 2 cents.

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
Folks, I am not a Yama-thump fan, but if you look at the string here, it's clear to me that our young friend really should consider the WR250F. I agree with all of you that the 400 is too much weight for him; quite frankly, as a former XR-lover, I am now unbiased enough to say I have no idea why people buy the XRs anymore other than the world's greatest reliability and ease (I guess I just answered my own question:confused: ). They are just for not people who want to get aggressive (except the 650, which is scary in both power and weight). If I were a young up-and-comer, I would love the XR250 at first, but be really frustrated as I quickly outgrew it.

The Yama-thumps will never be outgrown. While our friend will have to grow uncharacteristic patience for a teenager (due to the starting routine), I can't think of a better bike for a growing moto-enthusiast. This also assumes that the suspension is appropriately lowered for the early years.

Best of luck!

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
I would think that the WR250F would be the perfect bike. And hey your parents said they would buy you a 125....technically it is a 125. I will tell you that I have never ridden a XR250 or WR250F but I have ridden and raced a TRX400EX fourwheeler which has the same engine as the XR400. I am the same size as you and currently ride and race a CR125, but my use for my bike is different then your intended use. Any thing you think I can help with just ask.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
An XR 400 is almost way to big. No offense, I'm sure your a good rider, but your looking at a 260 lb. bike to be picking up when you fall. My friend is 15 yrs. old at 6'4'' 230 lbs. and he has a problem riding with the extra weight. Truly a KDX200/220 has plenty of power without the weight. And if you want the bottom end like the 400, put a flywheel weight in it. Big bore enduro 4-strokes are not the best for jumping either. Just my .02 cents

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
Another bike to consider is the KLX300.231lbs dry, about the same seat height as anXR200.excellant handling,good torque with exhaust baffel removed.very upgradeable.It will stomp your old 200 an out grunt and outrun the XR250.I had a KLX for almost a year and traded in on XR400 but I'm 39 and 215lbs.6ft. I would like to say get the 400 but the size of the bike is not yet in your favor!Give the KLX300 a look.It may be the compromise your looking for.

Mike

fred_durst

Mar 25, 2002
Thanx a lot guys, looks like a have some shopping around to do. So my candidates are the: Xr400 (I love it :)) Klx300, Wr250F and the KDX220. Any other ideas or opinions are appreciated, btw, HAPPY EASTER!

Top Bottom