airfoil

Oct 11, 2008
my 2002 yzf 250 will shut down after about 35-40 min of riding. have ruled out carb and valves as possible problem. most likley an ignition problem have trouble shot ignition system with service manual everything checks out. something in the ignition system is probably heating up then failing. thought of running bike until failure then checking ignition system while componets are hot, but manual only gives specs for componets at 68 degrees F. hate to start shot-gunning parts. any advice would be greatly appreciated. p.s. bike starts first kick when cold runs great until time period specified above.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Have you checked to make sure it's not a fuel delivery problem? I've seen the filter in the tank get clogged and cause the bike to run out of fuel.

airfoil

Oct 11, 2008
thanks for the input but dont think it is going to be a fuel problem. bike consistently starts and runs great for about that same time period. what fuel filtre are you talking about I dont see one inline from tank to carb and manual does not show one in tank

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yours might not have one, but they're usually attached to the top of the petcock where it inserts into the tank.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Or even the vent tube plugged on top of the tank. In either situation, the fuel can't flow through the line fast enough to fill the float bowl.

airfoil

Oct 11, 2008
Thanks gentlemen

Joe I think you might end up being right. Tank vent had one way check valve which i see in the manual but the end of the vent tube had some sort of plug over it from previous owner. I'm a little embarrassed being a aircraft mechanic this is exactly how our fuel tanks work. hope it corrects the problem.
saw a plane once have one wing tanks vent tube plugged by dirt wouldn't allow fuel to cross feed. pilot ran out of fuel.
Thanks again for your help. :bang:

Mar 18, 2006
used to happen all the time on honda trikes with the little lock tab on the gas cap. Once we figured that one out, it was easy. It's happening nowadays on my swather. I figured out one day that if I popped the gas cap on the swather, it would pick right up and run again. I just have to clean the cap I think. I was in Joe's camp on this one. :ride:

Mar 18, 2006
A swather is a machine used to cut grain or hay crops. I don't grow grain very often, so I use mine for a backup in case my haybine breaks down. WTF is a haybine? It is a machine designed to cut and condition hay and some other crops. WTF is condition? Conditioning usually means to break the stems so they will dry faster and more uniformly.

airfoil

Oct 11, 2008
We have alot in common. I grew up in rural N.J. Was an ag pilot for awhile. I have nothing but respect for the farm community.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I spent alot of time around dairy farms, but not much with the equipment. Usually throwing hay, which was a really crappy job. Not much like a 130+ degree hay loft with a cloud of hay dust and a few thousand flies. I've got alot of respect for farmers, you guys make one honest living.

Mar 18, 2006
Airfoil, is an ag pilot an aerial spray applicator? If so, that was one craazy job. Wahoooo!! :yikes:

Joe, other than the flys, one of the best things a man can do is take care of an animal. It's good for the soul.

Airfoil, was the fuel vacuum the problem with your bike?

regards, kevin

airfoil

Oct 11, 2008
Kevin, yes I was a aerial spray applicator. My son aked me to give it up. He was afraid he was going to loose me. I wont know if fuel was the problem until saturday when I go riding.

Joe I have slight asthma I couldnt hang with you throwing hay.

Kevin, what type of crops you grow

regards Fred

Top Bottom