03 CR250 motor mods, Eric Gorr 10/21/02

strublized

Oct 16, 2002
Do you have to use the high octane race gas with mo-power mod done on an 2002 CR 250R? I am planning on having the mod don this winter, but would like to use pump gas.

Matt

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Isn't the stock gearing 13/48? If you are running 14/48, I can see why it feels like there was no bottom end.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by strublized
Do you have to use the high octane race gas with mo-power mod done on an 2002 CR 250R? I am planning on having the mod don this winter, but would like to use pump gas.

Matt

Matt - Eric can set the engine up to run on pump gas without any problems.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
No prob. I was just thinking if your bike was pulling like that with 14/48 and thinking about going 14/47 after the porting, I was yanking the cylinder and sending it tomorrow ;)

Like Viking said "Thanks for sharing!"

flynhigh40

Nov 13, 2002
Has anybody ever got the eg mo better for a 00 cr250? Im thinking about sending it out and getting that package but I wanted to know what the results were to someone else who had it done to the 00 bike. Did it make a big difference?

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Jman thank you very much for the post. When the racing season is over I'm going to get the mo better porting with race gas. I have easy access to Sunoco 100 unleaded octane. It just a little pricey. ($3.76 to be exact) When I talk to Eric Gorr I will ask about that little thing you said he didn't do. I definetly need a lot more bottom,, but some times I run out of third at my local tracks (Watkins and Berthoud for those who live in CO) causing me shift into 4th and the engine just bogging down. As for Glenwood, I was at the springs after the fire. The whole mountain was scorched. Looking west, I heard that they had to evacuate the entire town. I wish I could send my cylinder out now, but just a couple of races to go. Also when did you replace your piston with an aftermarket piston(wiseco, pro x, vertex, etc..) or stock? Jman again thank you very much and good luck with your bike.

Erik
2002 CR250

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Bedell99, the extra mod EG said he elected not to do in case you go that route was epoxy work. He kinda explained it to me, and from what he said it is a great mod! $3.76 a gal ain't bad for 100 oct, just make sure it's not AV gas. I went w/ stock piston and rings for this rebuild. Def post back when you get it done, I think you will be very happy w/ what you get.
Flynhigh, I had an 00 CR250, it ripped bone stock w/ good reeds and a pipe, I can only imagine it w/ the EG mod. Good luck-

flynhigh40

Nov 13, 2002
Jman she does rip ;) ! I got a fmf sst pipe and carbon fiber reeds on it. I was just thinkin about what a good port job would do to her. Ill prob send my jug out here in a couple weeks and Ill let you know how much of a difference it makes.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
OK guyz I just sent out my cylinder this afternoon to EG. I asked for the MO-better porting with race gas at an altitude above 5000 ft. I have some suggestions to you 02 CR250 owners when disassembling you engine.
1)Make sure you loosen and remove your exhaust flange before yanking the cylinder. I forgot and one of the bolts where on there super tight.
2)My cylinder was on very tight this time. The gasket by the intake was stuck, invest in a rubber mallet. It took some serious blows to dislodge it.
3) Take off both raditors. I figured this out last time I did the top end. It is so much easier. I know you could probably get away with just the left, but we are talking 2 more bolts.
4) Everything looked good, but what surprised me is the condition of the reeds. They were perfect. They are still the stock reeds. Guyz I get on my bike hard and they still havn't cracked. I find that a bit odd. My KX ate up reeds and I have heard a lot of negative things about the reeds on this bike.

Now my bike is completly stock except for airbox mods to prevent dirt from entering. I run 100 octane race gas(B35 or Sunoco 100 GT) at 32:1 with mx2t. I weigh 155 pounds and race amatuer class. I also use all stock components when rebuilding my engines. (Gaskets, pistons, rings, etc...)I need a bike that will still pull hard down low, but have unlimited over rev for these Grand Prix type tracks in Colorado. Not that I need more power on top just more over rev. If I was still racing back in NY I would want more of a lower type power.

I will keep everybody updated on the developments.

Erik
2002 CR250

elvismx

Oct 8, 2000
I too had Eric do my '02 CR. Good results! I had done all of the homework beforehand, and the problem that I saw immediately was the squish clearance was about .075", about twice what it should be, but the bike had 195 psi of cranking compression with 10 hours on the piston, so simply decking the gasket surface of the head would put me in Solid Rocket Fuel territory by the time the squish got close enough. Eric did a good job with the cylinder and head mods, and though I weigh 235, I am pulling equally skilled riders' "better year" (96 & 01) CRs on the local track's loamy, uphill straightaway. Worth the money for sure.

FWIW, I'm using V-Force reed block, SST/Shorty combo, 370 main, 27.5 pilot, stock needle P-2, and C12 mixed 32:1 with HP2.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Bedell99, be prepared for a rocket ship! Try some V-Force reeds,(low-tension) if the budget allows, big diff! Post back!!!

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
bedell99,

I agree with every one of your notes. I took mine off a couple of days ago and I can back up all of your findings, including the condition of the reeds. I'll be sending mine off after Christmas and Eric said I probably won't see it for 3 weeks...I can't ride anyway, so no biggie (snow is about 3ft deep now).

I too weight about 155, just curious as to how your suspension is setup. If you don't mind, please post back and let me know what you run with. I'm new to the suspension tuning thing and would like some feedback.

Thank you,
Andrew

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I hope the moderators don't get mad at me for posting suspension settings. I run 100mm of sag with the stock spring. About 1/4 turn out on th HSD.2 click out on the LSD. Leave rebound alone on shock and fork. 3 clicks out on the fork comp. Lower fork oil 20cc. Not the greatest settings but they work for me. I find they get harsh on long motos. As for the motor the only thing I'm going to do is change to a 49 tooth sprocket.

Erik

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Thanks for the info guys. Look like I'll be spending some $$$$ for "mo better" power. :thumb:

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Try the stock gearing w/ the 48, it pulls strong all the way up, you may not need it. But my set up has pipe, reeds, so it is a little diff, but you should be close. Let me know if the 49 is any better-

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
If you think it will pull 48 gearing i will go with your advice. I'm ordering a complete sprocket kit. (Chain,sprockets) On monday I'm going to speak to eric indepth on the power band. I like alot of low end in a bike, but in but ilike a bike that revs also. Jman you mentioned earlier that you like the stock silencer on this bike better than the shorty. I sthere a reason for this. BTW, this is other sage advice form me, open up windows in your apartment when working with contact cleaner. I got really sick last night. I have been working on my bike in my living room and I live in a studio apart. Woke up last night puking my brains up. I havn't been this excited working on my bike in long time. I'm the type of guy who just likes to ride and worry about maintance later, but this forum has me so excited to see how much my bike is going to be when I get my cylinder back.

Erik
2002 CR250

Erik

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Guys I don't have the engine work but I run a 50 on the back. Only engine mod I have is VForce cage and clean jetting. The 50 pulls great.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Be careful w/ chemicals!!!! Sorry to hear you were sick on the fumes, that sucks. Anyway, If you are going to order all the stuff tomorrow, I would talk to EG and explain to him what your needs are, he will put you in the right direction. W/ all the extra goodies I put on my bike, it pulls stock gearing fine. If you have a diff set up w/ stock pipe, reeds, you may be right, you may need to go up 1 in the back, but my bike is explosive. The stock silencer seemed to work better for WOT tracks, the PC shorty worked great for tight supercross style tracks/woods, so right it is the way I left it, w/ stock silencer. I will be going back and forth all yr. Def post back when you get the beast all put back together, I can't wait to see what ya think!

hp2it

Feb 14, 2001
Jman,
Have you rode a 01-03 YZ250? I was wondering how the EG ported CR compared to these models. The motor is the only thing keeping me from getting a CR, but if Eric can make it run like the YZ I will get one. I like the low to mid motors.
Thanks

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I rode a worked 02 YZ250 by TMR, it was a rocketship lightswitch, good low, and all this mid top stuff at once. Never rode a stocker to see what it was like b4 and after, or to see if it needed anything, but this was a fast bike. A bit to pipey for me. I love the motor of the stock CR250, but it was just a real quick powerband. He made the power come on sooner and go a bit longer. If you have never ridden a new Honda w/ aluminum frame, just beware, they are a bit diff than what you are used to. Not bad, but just a bit diff. Very comfy, very relaible, and darn near bullet proof. Post back if you get one worked from EG. If you are a Yamaha guy, I'm sure he could do the same for a YZ, good luck!!!

hp2it

Feb 14, 2001
Thanks for the reply,
I am in fact a diehard Honda guy. I own a 2001 CR250 right now (with a 96 jug). Most of the people I ride with that have had 02-03 CR250 said if I like the 95-96 Honda power that I would be disappointed with the new ones because they have limited low end. It is encouraging to see your post about EG work and getting more bottom. I used the 01-03 Yamahas as examples because I think they have an even bigger power band then the 96 Honda jug that I am using now. Do you have any experience with other Honda years like 95,96,00,01? These are the ones I am familiar with so I excited to read about your porting experience.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I have had the 00, 01, 02, imho, the 00 was the best, next was 02, then 01 as far as rating the power. As far as the frame geometry and handling, the 00 had the best susp, but the 02 has the best ergos,(01 frame same as 00). I rode plenty of older CR's but I was younger and not as informed as to what was good or not, so I can't really comment on power then to power now. But, all my buddies rode CR's then b/c Honda is the best. Post back-

Top Bottom