KDX4ALL

Dec 9, 2002
Hello fellow Kdx'ers. I have recently completed a top end rebuild. No problems with the rebuild. Bike runs incredible. Even giving the 250's a hard time. Well, my second time riding after the rebuild, my bike would slip from 2nd gear into neutral, 3rd gear into 2nd and would not engage anything after 3rd. It turns out that its not a bent advancer shaft or anything but a bent shifting fork in the tranny. I've had the bike since Oct. of 2003. Is this common for KDX's transmission components. Or is it how much and how hard you ride the bike? Has anybody else had a similiar problem? Any feedback would be much abliged.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've got to be pushing 4000 miles on my '00. Shifts fine.

Those miles are largely from trails...like six-eight hour rides to get 60 or so miles. I rarely use the clutch unless I stop. I don't shift under power, but still no-clutch shifts can't be THAT kind to shift forks.

Not that it's any consolation but kdxs, at least by the tenor of posts on this board, rarely have transmission problems.

And maybe the '03 is different in some way from the rest of them that most riders haven't found out about, yet.

It's sure not a cheap fix.

Phil in NM

Oct 2, 2000
Three years ago I bought my 99 KDX200 in excellent condition from a long time KDX rider who had a bad shoulder. The third time I rode it the transmission locked up and would not turn. After a great deal of investigation, I finally bit the bullet and split the cases which was not an easy endeavor. Inside I found that sixth gear had quite nicely welded itself to the input shaft. This transmission was properly filled with oil. I don't know what kind since the bike was new to me, but I do recall that it was green in color not like brown 10W40. Fifth gear had to be replaced also since it had been blued where it spun on the shaft. The new parts cost $300 and I was not a happy Kawasaki customer at the time. I wrote them a letter asking for a credit for the parts but they said it was not their fault since the welding was due to a lack of lubrication. I will never know for sure but I suspect it was improper heat treatment of the input shaft. I doubt the oil would fail no matter what miracle brand was in there.

The bike has been fine ever since then. I use 10W40 just like the manual and Jeff F. says. The input shaft with integral sixth gear makes a sweet conversation piece on my benchtop. Japanese quality?

Alberta_KDX

May 26, 2003
I have a '99 KDX220 and I recently tipped it over and now my tranny is also messed. It wont go in some gears, will pop out of gear and is different every time i try it so your not alone in this problem

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
I think the shifter forks are a weak spot in the KDX (and some KX's)- or at least its a trend in them. Granted mine has tons of miles on it, the shifter forks do like to wear out fast. I think heavy weight oil does it, since that's what the previous owner ran exclusively. Ever since I started running 40wt it shifts fine and the forks haven't worn a bit.

Top Bottom