1990 Yz125 Any good info/fact out there?????

Nofear90

Apr 5, 2010
i recently got a 1990 yz125 it needed a clutch boss, power valve holder assembly(right hand side), and a few other small things... I was woundering if anybody has any info what so ever about this bike??? Any info would be greatly appreciated.... THanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Fun bike, that's about all the info I have for you. Been riding a 92 a little bit, trying to get it right. Pretty reliable, little to no bottom end, absolutely rips once it's on the pipe.

Nofear90

Apr 5, 2010
I got a fmf gold series fatty and a pro curcuit factory sound silencer... I need to re pack my silencer any sujestions??? I was also wondering what's the best choice for fluids gear oil, coolant, 2 cycle oil, etc???? What should i torque my clutch spring bolts to???? I'm Kinda new to the yz world... I'm likin it thow... Should I use lok-tight or no??? Anything I need to know or that will be useful please fill me in... Thanks for everything

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
First things first, get yourself a service manual. Seriously, that is the first step to educating yourself about your bike.

Second, read this forum for anything relating to 2t bikes in general and read it all! Then, search out other forums and read all the info you can get there as well. Use your head (common sense) to sort out the good info from the BS.

Good luck, wear your gear, and have fun!

Nofear90

Apr 5, 2010
I need to the torque specs for my clutch springs??? If im correct i think its 8-11 ft/lbs.... Is it a good idea to use lock tight on the clutch spring bolts???? I understand that a manual would help out alot... but at this day and time its not a priority... Im not a noob by along shot i know my way around a 2 stroke... I was just tryin to get some of what they call Ol' Tymer Knowledge that only comes with age... LOL... So if anybody has any useful or just Common info on my bike please fill me in.... Thanks :laugh:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
understand that a manual would help out alot... but at this day and time its not a priority... Im not a noob by along shot i know my way around a 2 stroke...

If getting a manual is not a priority, you have no business putting a wrench to that bike. If you're "not a noob by a long shot", you already know this. No offense, but a manual is a necessity. You wouldn't trust a shop to be working on your bike without a shop manual, so why should you? I suppose you know more than them and have all the torque specs, clearance specs, and service intervals memorized? If so, then what do you need our help for???

For anyone to give you those specs, they would have to look it up for you in THEIR manual. Put the wrench down, back away from the bike, and buy a freakin' manual.

Nofear90

Apr 5, 2010
LOL..... Love the hostilaty.... I never said I knew everything... If everybody had a manual then nobody would need a forum to figure out ther problems... I was just wantin some hints and tips maybe alil info seems like all every wants to do is lecture me about a manual.... Lol

Last edited:

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Nofear90 said:
Anything I need to know or that will be useful please fill me in... Thanks for everything
Not lecturing, not hostile. Just giving you what you asked for. No, we didn't give you more than that as we probably don't know or have no way of finding the info ourselves unless we bought the manual.

Are you sensing a theme here? :nod:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
There are plenty of problems/questions/ideas not covered by a shop manual. THAT is what forums are for, not for other people to look up torque specs for you! Perhaps if there's another owner of a 1990 yz125 here he can look up the torque specs for you in the manual HE bought. Probably unlikely....

Seriously, not trying to be hostile. "Buy a service manual" is the best advice you will ever get, period. If you plan on doing your own work, it's not a luxury item, it's a MUST have. It's not like it's a huge cost or something, just do it!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Age has nothing to do with buying a manual. It is cheaper than a new clutch inner pressure, after 1 of those bolt studs snap off. Was that foot pounds or inch pounds? Vintage Bob

Top Bottom