legendboy

May 11, 2006
yea, the pipe is off an 01 kdx220. I picked up the pipe and silencer from a guy locally for 40 bones. This is the pipe i lopped the end and spring stays off for the FMF pipe that didn't work out.

Hopefully this one solves all the problems the small cr125 pipe had. If not its about 6 hours wasted :|

cruel2bu

Mar 27, 2008
Blizzard,that would slow things down a bit.lol..
I thought that I had it bad.All it does is rain here lately.It will be nice thursday then boom friday and saturday thunder storms.Then all of a sudden sunday evening it clears up just in time to be a pretty day monday to go to work.Makes you feel like taking a sick day every monday... :)

legendboy

May 11, 2006
figured i'd post a pic since its kinda funny

this happened in 6 hours :bang:

first%20ride%20foiled.jpg

Last edited:

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Here in SoCal we never stopped riding (except during the mornings cause 45 is just too cold to ride in ;) ). But the sidewinders are out now, so now I just have to watch were I put my feet.

The bike looks great, let us know how the new pipe does. Maybe there is a market for CR frames with the mounts changed and a new kdx pipe made to fit.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Alrighty so I got my first ride in on the cr!!

Went out to the mountians on sunday and had a great time. First ride of the season, the weather was perfect.

So the new pipe works awsome. The bike feels so torquey all thru the rpm band. The top end is really nice and the bike feels very linear.

The chassis feels alot better then my old kdx. Right away i can feel the taughtness in the front end compaired to the kdx. Hitting the single track dodging trees felt really good and the bike felt extremely nimble.

Overall I give it the thumbs up and look forward to spending more time on the seat this year and really seeing what it can do!

33.jpg

Last edited:

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
hah!
Cool beans, man.
Now nothing but months of tweaking to do.
I BET that frame is way better than the KDX frame, and that that motor is way better than the CR motor for what you want the bike to do.

But that's what you were after, wasn't it?

Enjoy!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Ive been following your project Legend, great job! came out very cool... curious to hear what type of tweaks you'll be doing to er', if any. :cool:

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Thanks a bunch guys

I think my first mods would be:

-KDX220 motor
-Gnarly pipe

:laugh:

I am happy with it, but i would like to get some sort of green graphics so i can represent! ;)

cruel2bu

Mar 27, 2008
Hey,that is a great job that you have done.It looks more modern with the aluminum frame.Too bad the factory just dumped the 2t bikes all together instead of refining them into a nice woods killer like you have there.I mean they can put a aluminum frame on a 4t why not a 2t woods/enduro bike with some newer tech ? Oh well,that is what makes the hybrids so cool.They didn't build it and we will.By the way I have a 2001 KX250 with a 1994 KDX250 engine on it and i love it.I rode the KDX250 for over 6 years and loved the engine so much that I could not part with it.Then I read a few hybrid conversions and the ball started rolling.....Any way GREAT JOB !!!!!!!

flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
he before you go into putting a whole new motor in it, the kdx 200 and 220 motors are the same, just different jugs.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Had the bike out in the mountians again yesterday, it performed nice. This time I had a chance to do some decent hill climbs.

With the 13/50 setup second gear rips up the hills pretty good.

Where I was riding alot of the steep hills were just off the road, so I only had like 10' of room to get going. Start in first, turn and start up the hill, about 15' up pop it into second and she flys!!!! very nice.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
I was able to procure some goods off ebay. Clark tank, Devol rad guards and a skid plate.

I am going to buy a 91 kdx250 too for the motor and pipe haha Will post pics when i get it.

cruel2bu

Mar 27, 2008
Hey,what are you going to build with the 91 KDX250 parts?
They are the perfect woods motor for me.They have the torque of a 4t and the snap and rev of a 2t.
Mine is some what modified from stock.This summer I am going to have a 1992 KX250 cylinder sleeved for a 1991 piston and do a little port work along with a RAD valve.I am interested to see how it runs.
Keep us up to date on the new project.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
ok so the saga continues! haha

i picked the bike up for a song, but now i am kinda thinking full resto!?!

original seat cover, hardly any wear!

kdx250a.jpg

kdx250.jpg

Last edited:

legendboy

May 11, 2006
the physical size of the motor seems to be quite a bit larger then the 200. anybody know if the 250 motor drops into 200 frames?

tommrth

Apr 22, 2008
legendboy said:
the physical size of the motor seems to be quite a bit larger then the 200. anybody know if the 250 motor drops into 200 frames?
would be interesting if it did as its basicly a kx250 motor isnt it?
kx250 motor in kdx frame just for fun

kdx250 frame apears to be a bit different from the 200 so maybe no go

cruel2bu

Mar 27, 2008
The KDX250 engine will not bolt in the KDX200 mounts.It will bolt in most KX250 frames though.The rear mount where the swing arm mounts is the same width and hole size on both KDX engines.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
I doubt it, the 200 motor is based on an older 125 and 250 frame cradles are alot bigger for the bigger motor.

Top Bottom