hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
Hey Legenboy, I have a question for you and any other reader who might be able to give some insight on the matter... I'm looking to upgrade and I have it pretty much narrowed down to a 96' or newer xr250, 2000 kdx200, or a 1999 kx125 and do some trail riding mods (fly wheel weight and larger rear sprocket - maybe a few others). I will be riding in the woods 95% of the time. Right now I've got an old xr play bike and want something I can hone my skills on but still have enough juice to keep me interested in the future. So, in regards to riding a kx125 in the woods, how does it handle on the trails compared to a kdx or xr?

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Yeah, the KX125 is a bit of a handfull in the woods. I had one for a while and liked it well enough but could not really relax and cruise around like on any of the XR's or the KDX.
The motor was good but had quite a hit. The suspension was great at speed but harsh when going slow.

The KDX really has no downside in the woods

legendboy

May 11, 2006
I agree, you want something you can lug a little more then a KX125.

I would definitely go with the 2000 KDX, you won't be disapointed!

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
I'm 5'8" 185. The only reason I am considering the kx125 is because I have found one that I trust has been maintained well and at what I consider a pretty darn good price. I like the xr250 but I am starting to think I can get a bit more bang for my buck with a kdx200. I also like feel like enginer repairs and maintenance would be easier on a 2 stroke... Is this a good assumption?

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
There is nothing wrong with an XR250 for what it sounds like you want to do. It doesn't sound like you have found one, though. The XR's are pretty tough and should require little to no engine repair with decent maintenance.
Engine repair and maintenance is easier on either of those two strokes than the XR, but not by much.
I think there is more potential for improvement in the KDX200 than the KX125. I could never relax riding my 125.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
you have to wind out 125's too much for hill climbs

XRpredator said:
back to Legendboy's initial plan:

why not go for some green plastic?

i wish man, nobody makes.

i even called UFO to see if they would make me a set, they said sure if i wanted to order 100 sets lol

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
I preciate' the help!!! Looks like it is between a xr250 and kdx200.

The cr-kdx200 looks like an incredible machine!!! I love it! If I were a rich man, there'd be no doubting my next bike!!

legendboy

May 11, 2006
heh thanks. It turned out to be a pretty cool bike.

I have around 1800 canadian into it. Pretty thrifty build. If i were selling it locally i would be asking $3500obo.

To give a compairison, i will sell my 93 KDX for more then 1800.

The stock CR up here would sell for around 3200.

Used bike prices in canada are WAY higher then in the USA

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Green Hornet said:
What about BLACK PLASTICS??
because black is the new pink.

and pink is gay.

as gay as white boots.

and for green, check with Maier. Not as high quality, but any color you could want.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Black plastics are so 2001. They were cool for about 2 minutes. I like the White Hoda look. :cool: Wait another year and it wil lbe done to death though.

Pink is as gay as white?

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
XRpredator said:
because black is the new pink.

and pink is gay.

as gay as white boots.

and for green, check with Maier. Not as high quality, but any color you could want.

OHHHHHHH...That Hurt!!!!!!
I guess I'll put the Rainbow Flag on my (A$$ Jockey)White Boots.......... ;)

Last edited:

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
as gay as white boots.

I know a guy who says the same things. He wants to make sure everyone knows that he is manly. Usually by attacking things he considers not manly. Everyone knows he is in the denial stage if you know what I mean. :nod:

geoffro

Nov 16, 2007
different pipes

Great build Legendboy!nice fabrication skills too.Just as a matter of interest for future projects,EVERY 2 stroke motor has a DIFFERENT exhaust.The exhausts are matched to things like port duration,stroke,porting dimesions etc etc.
But we learn every day and no hurt in trying new things.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
Black is not gay if you have green with it. Here's a pic of my buck25 project. I considered putting my KDX engine in it but decided to make it a EC144 instead.

Ebay5-4-08016.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom