uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
I found a good deal on a 300exc and was wondering if theres anything I should know about the bike, like reliability,problem areas,what kind of performance gains are out there. I'm coming off of a 440exc,hows the stock power?

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
i have a 2002 300EXC. It is AWESOME!! Maybe just throw on a new FMF Gnarly pipe and spark arrestor, and a set of Boyesen Pro-Series reeds, and your are ready to go. I'm having my suspension revalved by a MX tech affiliate in Marysville WA, I'm sure that will help alot in the woods. The bike has more power than i'll ever use. I'm coming off a hopped up 01"KDX 220. You'll love the bike.
Little Jeff

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I just bought my '02 300 new in June. I traded an '01 XR650R in for the KTM. I admit I had my doubts as to how I'd like it, but all doubts are erased now.

The 300 has more than enough low end to get you by, and it straight up hauls when you hold it open. I'm using the stock pipe with an FMF Turbine Core II s/a, and I'm very happy with the power. I've heard the Gnarly pipe adds low end grunt at the expense of top end. The way my bike is right now, I wouldn't trade off any power bottom to top.

As for reliability, the bike has been great. I'm not that fast, and I don't race, but I keep a pretty good clip and ride often. I've had it in the sand dunes several times as well. No problems at all. I ride mostly at or around sea level, and the stock jetting seems to be working pretty well. Only thing I did was change the clip one position leaner on the needle. I've got a DDK single taper needle on order, gonna give that a shot.

Compared to your 440, I doubt the 300 has as much punch. But the motor is very good, and I can guarantee it will just about run circles around the 440 as far as handling goes. Really great machines!

efivecoat

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2002
as far as open class power, the 300 will pale to the 440, however you will be trading a dinosaur for a Ferrari in every other department. If you like the grunt of the true open class, opt for the 380, but the 300 is an outstanding machine nevertheless. I say trade up and enjoy!!!

Top Bottom