roost-gal

Feb 25, 2005
Hey thanks for the guide! I just bought my first bike today! :) : :yeehaw: I decided on the kawasaki KX100! :ride: I can't wait to take it out tomorrow. Thanks again!

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
That was a nice article --- very helpful. But here's a question from someone who wrenches and rides vintage bikes. My daughter's used XR100 cost more than any two of my own three bikes (not counting parts and rebuilds, of course). She learned to ride it cautiously, but progressively. She really fit right between the two images you pictured, Karla. She never got mad, but never got intimidated either. She just got up and got back on.

She's 13 and 5'1", maybe 125-130lbs of almost all muscle under some feminine curves replacing baby fat. She's got good sized bones and broad shoulders for a girl, and did gymnastics since she was three (she was really kind of big for a gymnast and gave it up). She rides the XR with spirit without exactly pushing it to it's limits. She thinks she want's a KX85, and there's a used one I've looked at --- but I've been stalling, thinking she at least needs a big wheel with the 16" rear and 19" front of the XR, but better suspension.

She won't touch my KDX175 or a newer 125 because of tha saddle height. But, I just bought a 1975 Yamaha MX400 (for myself). I'm still sorting out some stator/CDI issues, but she seems to want to ride it. The saddle height is pretty low --- a first generation monoshock --- maybe 33"? Her feet will touch the ground.

But heck! It will have low end (I have two other 400s of a little newer, taller variety), and some smoothness, until it hits the pipe --- then it's wheelieville and real adreneline. It isn't a punch. It's a long puuuuunch!

Do I let her ride it just because she's willing, and because she is so methodical by nature? Part of me will glory in her taking to it and mastering it. Or do I let the protective Dad part of me keep her off it because I don't want to see her crash and burn at 60mph?

What do you ladies think?

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
DONT, unless you can rig up a throttle stop. She will be fine if she doesnt get in the powerband, but if she does then she may not want to get back on a bike. Her getting hurt or scared is alot more important than pride. ;-P No offense i think its a guy thing. I remember when i learned to ride on my YZ80. I was 5'5'' and could touch alright, but a year later, at 5'6'' when i could flat foot it, wheelying in the powerband was still a little iffy. Those powerbands are some great fun, but its better when you only have enough power as you can handle. Even if your daughter is an exceptional little rider an accidental slip of the wrist could turn fun into falls and possibly injuries. Be safe, and if you even had the slightest thought of second-guessing putting her on the bike, that is a clue NOT to.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Thanks pyrofreak. That's the way I was leaning. I just don't want to scare her just because I say it's too much for her though. I mean, I do see women not much bigger than her on 1K+cc's on the street. I'm thinking now that I may caution and caution her, but let her make the choice herself. I've got a flat 5 acre fied nearby where she can try it if she insists.

tiggywiggy

Aug 22, 2005
Excellent guide! So great that you included the 125s and fast fours - there is nothing that pisses me off more than when i go into a dealership looking at 2-strokes, and a salesman comes up and tries to point me towards a TTR125.
good to know that there are other women riders who want to start out on the same bikes the guys do:)

mx314

Aug 27, 2005
great guide!!! but im still stumped on what bike to get... im about 5'4" and 120, at first it was a 250f but dad thinks its too big (i just came off a ttr125 got used to it in a day)....yea im tippy toed on it and the weight would be a problem but motorwise i think it would be perfect...i really didnt want a 125 2 stroke...i would get a 85 but its too small height wise and ill be 16 next year too old for the 85 motocross class...so i thought a cr 85 expert but I would have to race in the supermini class and around me nobody races in that class??? or if im going to have to race the supermini should i just go ahead and get a kx 100?? help please!!! thanks

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I went from a TTR125L to a CRF250X. Other than it being tall I didn't have a problem with it. I think you would do fine on a 250F. The engine is tame enough for you to handle and it can go fast enough to have fun. I'm not a 2 stroke person either. You will be too cramped on an 85. A KX100 would work also but I like the feel of the 250F frame. I used to think I couldn't handle, or pick up a bigger bike but after just a few rides I didn't want to go back. Bad thing is the 250f's are almost twice the price of the 85 or 100's... :( Good thing is the big bike will last you a lot longer.
Good luck
SusanE

shellbelle

Oct 7, 2005
I havn't been riding, but I'm very into it ( I won second place in the kids mx at dirtweek!). Although it is not the fastest bike, the honda XR100 seems to be a great, mellow, fun bike. Once you get more advanced, chooseing a Kawasaki KX100 is perfect! It is scary fast, and just fun; but it if a little advanced for me. If you r looking for something in between, you're on your own. :-P

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((shellbelle)))))))))))))))))))))))

mx314

Aug 27, 2005
thanks for all the replys....I have decided on a 250f though!! I went and rode a friends and it was awesome it fits me just right, im not tippy-toed or anything and its not too heavy and the power is just right....cant wait to get one!!

redridinghood

Apr 3, 2006
new here

Hello. New to the forum. I just got a 2006 crf150 and was hoping to get some advice/info here. Does anyone have this bike and how do they like it? I was torn between the TTR125LE and the crf150. I'm only 5ft3 but weigh 135lbs (just had two kids back to back). I am not flat foot, more like tip toed. I have only ridden a 50 (my nephews). I do have a somewhat athletic background being an agressive snowboarder (back in my "hay day" ) so I decided to go with the heavier (by about 40lbs) bike. Also reviews helped with my decision. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Anne

Jun 12, 2006
I have a questioned. I need help looking for a bike. I'm 5ft 6in and i play a bunch of sports so im pretty strong i weigh about 140 but i have really short legs so i'm on my tippy toes on my kx100 but i kinda fell like i want a 125 and im a beginner at this so im not too good at all so i need help! im kinda stuck in the middle of what i want to get...

Apr 30, 2007
redridinghood said:
Hello. New to the forum. I just got a 2006 crf150 and was hoping to get some advice/info here. Does anyone have this bike and how do they like it? I was torn between the TTR125LE and the crf150. I'm only 5ft3 but weigh 135lbs (just had two kids back to back). I am not flat foot, more like tip toed. I have only ridden a 50 (my nephews). I do have a somewhat athletic background being an agressive snowboarder (back in my "hay day" ) so I decided to go with the heavier (by about 40lbs) bike. Also reviews helped with my decision. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Anne

It may not exactly be my place to give advice (brand newbie here), but I think you've made the right choice. I'm 5'2 110, and judging from the number of 150s that I've sat on, you're probably the right size for it. Although I currently have a CR80, the 150 would be my next bike if I could ever get the money to purchase one!

As for the TTRs, I've only sat on one. They are pretty well known for their soft (very user friendly) power, but are also pretty heavy for their size as well.

Hope this helps,

Tolle'

moto-a-gogo

Uhhh...
Jun 23, 2007
Fantastic read. Thanks for putting it together.. I'm learning more as I go.

I still think I'll get the Yami ttr230A ( I need a road rego bike), if I can lift Honda XR 250.. I'm definately getting the Yami.

DirtyGrl

Nov 14, 2007
That is an awesome article. I wish I had found it before I went bike shopping because it would have saved me SOOO much time while doing my own research - especially the last table comparing weights/heights/brake types. After reading the article, I feel even more confident that I chose the right bike for me, the KX100. : ) Thanks for such a great article!

LizD

Jan 23, 2008
Great article! Exactly the info. I was looking for. I'm even smaller than average at 5' 1" and 100 lbs. so seat height and weight are key factors for me. It was great to put all the characteristics together. Gives me a good starting place. Thanks!

Any advice on bikes that are also street legal? No harm in maxxing function.

Liz

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
My wife loves her CRF230 with electric start. She is 5'9" and fits reasonably well, the bikes is easy to ride and not to fast...

When she falls over she can pick it up with out help, very important part of the decision if you know what I mean.

ebony dream

Mar 2, 2008
i thought id add..i recently got a suz dr 125...my first bike and its sweet i love it i recommend that bike for the ladies..my boyfriend picked it out for me and its perfect!

cdomitro

Aug 10, 2008
crf 100 to yz250?

Great post, so simple and helpful.. couple of questions though. So i learned how to ride on a crf100 (2006) and bought a new one a week or so later.. It's fun, just too underpowered. I'm a 21 year old female, about 5'3-5'4 115 pounds, definitely strong, but still pretty much a small girl.. I wanted to get a crf150, but my dads buddy is selling a GREAT 2003 yz250, he worked as a mechanic and always took really good care of the bike, i mean its practically new and it is a REALLY good deal. I just really don't know if i can hang with the yz250. The height & weight difference especially worries me. Selling my 100 is a must, (in the process of selling it right now) and i can't afford a new bike, so this seems like the best option. Especially because buying a new bike like a 150 from some random can be sketchy being that a lot of people in the area beat their bikes pretty bad... If anybodys got any suggestions or is riding a yz250 or anything it would be greatly appreciated!!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I'm the same size as you and I ride a YZ125. I do ride my husbands YZ250 sometimes, but I can't start the thing. I have fun on it, but I do like how light my 125 feels compared to the 250. I can ride it, but I don't feel like I can ride it to it's full potential. I get better on it each time I ride the 250. Now if I could only start it I might think about it...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
XRpredator sneaks in . . .

I figured this was how the ladies rode

vespa.jpg

XRpredator sneaks back out . . .

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
M'Lord, vespa's are cool....I had a 1984 Honda Puch for a while, but crashed it so many times, I sold it a year later for $25 (yeah, it was THAT messed up). I am currently playing around on a Yamaha Zuma. Its not only a cool Chick Bike, you can put a six pack under the seat!!! :cool:

Nov 7, 2008
In 2006 I learned on a 1985 XR 350 which was way too heavy but it got me into riding. I was able to pick up a YZ125 last year and began riding/racing motocross. At 5'8" the YZ125 was perfect but ended up bogging too much on the track. I switched to a 2000 CR250 but as a beginner racer...way too much power than I can handle. I loved the power on the starts, corners, straights but not so much on the jumps. My husband just got me a KDX 200 which will be put into a KX125 frame later. We took the KDX out today and I really liked it. If I had the money I would probably be on a CR250F like my husband rides.

Top Bottom