Oct 10, 2004
Last week I pulled the end off of my front brake cable. I can not find a shop that can properly make a replacement cable for me as I can not get one from the factory because my bike is too old. I ended up going to the Canadian tire and finding replacement cable ends that use a set screw to hold in the cables, They are used for old carborated cars if you need a repair when your throttle or choke cable breaks. In total they cost me about $3.00 and work fine and do not slip. They would also be handy to have for trail side repairs.

YELLOWSTREAK

Oct 13, 2004
That does sound like a yet another good addition to my 40 pound fanny pack. I'm not familiar with Canadian tires. Is that a retail company? Any idea who the manufacturer is for those replacement cable ends? Thanks for the tip.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Back in the day I used to make my own cable ends and braze them to the cable when they broke off. Sometimes I'd have to cut the outer sheath back to get enough cable slack but it save me money.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
YELLOWSTREAK said:
I'm not familiar with Canadian tires. Is that a retail company? Any idea who the manufacturer is for those replacement cable ends? Thanks for the tip.

Canadian Tire is a Canadian retail store for car, outdoor, and tool products. I dont think there is any in the US. Prob could get the part at home depot or a car store or something. Maybe even at walmart.

www.canadiantire.ca

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I've used those screw on cable ends too. Never had a problem with one either. If you really want to get some of your own cable parts you can go to www.flandersco.com they've got everything.

The one thing I've learned the hard way about cable making is that you gotta use acid core solder and after you slide the end onto the cable (before you solder it) you must flare out the end of the cable and then solder it, other wise it will pull right off. Alright that's two things I've learned the hard way, actually I learn everything the hard way.

Top Bottom