stoc1855

Jan 24, 2002
We are trying to replace friction discs on a 97 220. Manual suggests holding flywheel to remove nut holding clutch basket. The flywheel and clutch are not locked -- the inside portion of clutch is turning w/o turning flywheel??? Thanks for any help. Doug

motomad

May 26, 2002
Did a little research,Doug. I may be starting to see the problem. Are the clutch springs in place and tight? If so,and the hub still spins,check them for free length. The manual should quote a spec. The (80's,anyway) KDX clutches are a little odd,what with the pressure plate inside the friction discs. Are 97's the same? If the springs have tension,and the clutch still isn't locking up,Congratulations on your top-notch toasting job, Gooby's air impact might be your only alternative.

Dr. Dirt

Nov 15, 2001
I have had the same problem the clutch was slipping while trying to trun the nut. Impact wrench is the best solution but I was able to install the new springs from the new clutch which must have been just a little stiffer, at that point I was able to remove the nut.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I had same problem. Ended up inserting a rod through hole in the rear sprocket, turning until rod caught on the swingarm. That ends up holding the part that's spinning. To install, rod has to catch other side of swingarm. (top or bottom) A real mechanic wouldn't do it that way, but I'm not a real mechanic. Did both my '95 KDXs that way, no problem.
BTW, put in the XR250 friction plates. It was a straight swap.

stoc1855

Jan 24, 2002
Thanks Guys -- I think we have some common ground here. We were able to get nut off after several attempts. The key seems to be to have springs in place with proper torque and then hold the flywheel.
I have a tool designed for clutch baskets and on the flip side has pins for magnetos and alternator flywheels -- but with the KDX it didn't grasp well. We resorted to a huge pipe wrench and then it was easy. No scars on flywheel.
As usual, we called some local dealers and they didn't have new friction plates nor gasket for housing. Thanks for your input -- I am still not sure that I understand the clutch mechanism.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: huge pipe wrench

On the flywheel? Ouch! You DON'T want to be buying a flywheel, and anything in the way of a wrench on it would be worrisome. You are aware that a sharp impact to the flywheel may damage the magnetic nature of it? Too much a chance of that if using a metal tool on it to suit me!

Check CDave's site for a removal/install tool (basically a couple of pins stuck in a board).

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

With the transmission AND flywheel held it won't matter WHAT condition your clutch is in.

I'm missing my own point....which was to specify the better plates to use (much more friction area than the oem kdx). Use plates for the '86-01 XR250R. That's the XR model# I have written in my notes anyway.

Top Bottom