Chicago
Okiewan said:
It's 'cause I live in Oklahoma :p

... and he keeps calling asking how to jet his bike on corn squeezins. :ohmy:

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
After reading every post, I would just like to say that this whole thing has become somthing that nobody wanted in the first place, not the Client or the Vendor, I can see both points and hope you still plan to use Eric & Rich and get exactly what you wanted. Good Luck.
Oh BTW Eric Gorr did a big Bore Kit on my bike 2 years ago and i have yet to ride a faster RM250 than mine. :)

Last edited:

zookieman

Jul 7, 2003
ironworker said:
After reading every post, I would just like to say that this whole thing has become somthing that nobody wanted in the first place, not the Client or the Vendor, I can see both points and hope you still plan to use Eric & Rich and get exactly what you wanted. Good Luck.
Oh BTW Eric Gorr did a big Bore Kit on my bike 2 years ago and i have yet to ride a faster RM250 than mine. :)
Hey Ironworker, I was thinking on doing a bigbore on my RM250. What all is involved, as far as modifications? Is it still trail rideable? Do you just send him the jug?

SuzookKING

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
... and he keeps calling asking how to jet his bike on corn squeezins. :ohmy:

we only use "corn squeezins" for drinkin, not running in our vehicles.

but seriously is there a particular reason the 405 area code is blocked or was it just an Okiewan subliminal joke?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is one specific group of numbers in a 405 exchangethat are blocked. They belong to a rich guy who feels compelled to call and bitch because he can't push to the head of the line and get his work turned over in a couple of days. He's one of those sad souls who thinks having an extra few zeros in his bank account entitles him to be a flaming :moon: and entitles him to special consideration.

He can't comprehend that the kid who shoveled snow all winter to scrape together the cash for porting and got in line is far more important around here. :thumb:

Ole Mr. Big Shooter can kiss our collective :moon: :moon:

Last edited:

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
zookieman said:
Hey Ironworker, I was thinking on doing a bigbore on my RM250. What all is involved, as far as modifications? Is it still trail rideable? Do you just send him the jug?
The bike is very ridable in "Most" all situations, I prefer Tight woods myself, as far what was involved, I recieved a complte Weisco Big Bore Kit, you can go to the website and look up the order form and it tells you what you need to send and how to send it.

Good Luck.
Rich.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
All I can say is one time I called Eric and he was on his cell phone at the local TACO VILLA orgering chicken burritos and spicy rice and he picked up for me. I could overhear him paying the food service worker and edging out on the freeway, and i can really say that I rate any different. I used to have a cellphone but to many people got my personal number and it bailed .Sometimes in this business youll end up taliking taking orders half the day and then working into the night when the phone stops ringing. ERIC take the time to develop a a transmograduplifaxicater so you can replicate yourself and become more plural . If engineered right you could even fax yourself on a vacation at any destination you program, can you say BEAM ME UP SCOTTY? Its hard to find good help maybe you could find some recruits from a vocational school or something then you could mold them out here in jersey , it seems as though theres a few good kids out there . Alot of them just want to play video games then step into an IT professional position right out of school .HA!Blame the guidance counselors I guess. Try to find an auto mechanic under 30 years old that knows anything about carburetors , it'll be a miracle. ERIC dont burn yourself out .

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Eric/Rich: Have you thought about a unlisted number for your repeat clients to call on for that personal service and leave the published number for everyone else?

As an Architect that works with clients that spend anywhere between 10~15 million dollars on every building, I can sympathize with the "stressed out pissy client" syndrome. They get wiggy at the drop of a hat, and I can easily waste a day just dealing with their problems; which leaves precious little time to actually get any work done, unless I work late into the night.

I have been trying to get a handle on my response times and have had little success. Discussions like this are very helpful, if only because I understand that I am not the only one in the boat.

I like the idea of raising your prices across the board and then discounting in the slow months. :thumb: I wish I could do that but there are WAY too many architects willing to give their work away bacause they have no mechanism to determine, or care if, they are making a profit for their BUSINESS.

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
Those are some good suggestions Tony. Terry Varner gives people his cell phone number to his customers and he answers it 24/7. But the difference is he charges 2-3 times more than me and probably has 1/10 the number of customers.
I went to a telemarketing convention and saw an interesting telephony system that features an toll-free number with choices of sales versus tech info. And when the person chooses tech info it automaticlly bills them for a toll charge like a 900 number, unless they're number has a toll block.

You guys have to understand that I've tried many different ways to handle telephone calls, and everyone who has tried to answer my phone quickly gets frustrated. Recently I hired Diane, Rich's fiancee to help me in the shop with retail sales, mail-ordershipping and receiving, etc. She tried answering the phone for one day and said "these people are belligerant and they only want to talk to you, even though their questions are things that are outlined on the web site". And she's right. She said "I'll scrub spoogie KDX and muddy KTM cylinders before I pick that phone up".

Half of the people who call have blown up their engine and they're pissed-off. Some are dads and their kids are whining about getting it fixed fast, some are getting screamed at by their wives to not spend anymore money on "that dam dirt bike". They often transfer their anger and frustration to the person that they have to pay to fix it. The other half of the call volume are people who want to get free information from me so they can save money. Often times they are tuners and mechanics who are using my free information to earn a living or shorten the diagnostic time of a mechanical task. The problem is they're posing as a potential customer and have no intention of ever spending 1 dollar with my business yet they expect me to be available 24/7 to help support their living.

Even though I try to answer the phone all the hours when I work, and call-forward to my cell phone on weekends or when I'm on the road, I still get people complaining that they can never contact me. The fact is its just impossible to make everybody happy.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Eric Gorr said:
She said "I'll scrub spoogie KDX and muddy KTM cylinders before I pick that phone up".

Tell ~d~ that I will send my cylinder properly prepared for her loving touch when I need a cylinder fixed! :laugh:

Good luck on your backlog!

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Well, all I can say is Eric has been pretty accommodating to me the last week or so. Sent my cylinder and head in to do the 265 job on my Kx, think that was early January, I wasn't in any hurry going into the work and have had a couple problems getting it back up and runnin, after reading through his book and the manual till I was scratchin my head I gave him a call, three or four actually, and he pointed me in the right direction each time, the ripped o-ring on the air screw had me going for awhile, I did hem and haw a bit before I called cuz I knew they we're busy. Anyway, the bike seems to be A-OK now, still may have some jetting issues, I haven't been able to really open it up yet but overall I would say I am a happy customer.

hammerhead251

Feb 23, 2004
The problem is that most people don't understand the amount of time this sort of work takes. Eric's work doesn't just come off a shelf or out of a parts bin. When I was painting helmets, people just couldn't understand that there was 25 hours of my time in each paint job. They've all see the airbrush artist at the fair paint licence plates in 5 minutes.

My point is that time is limited. People need to respect that. Use Google newsgroups searches for answers. Eric, stay the course and don't let fear of a few a$$holes take the joy from your business.

You are obviously doing it right. I remembered your reputation and searched the web to find you. I can't remember seeing a Forward Motion ad anywhere, yet you get all the business you can stand and people still say great things!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Eric is a great guy. I have also called him before and caught him on his cell phone on the freeway. Who else does that?!?!?! :thumb: He gave me some good advice as to what I should do to make the least expensive possible repair.
He will be receiving my business again.
People (even myself sometimes) also need to realize that misunderstandings and mistakes happen sometimes, and not to get pissed off about them. You can count on Eric to make it right. :thumb: :thumb: :)

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I like to 2nd the comment hammerhead made toward Eric's reputation. It's very good if not great. People in this industry know the name Eric Gore and 99.99% have good things to say. Not everyone will be happy all the time. I myself had problems with a crank and Eric took the time to explain what the problem was. I know it free advice and now I feel bad about it but I did appreciate him taking the time to educated me. That's good customer service and I'm happy. From reading this post, I think all are pleased.

The problem with Forward Motion is similar to other companies that have to deal with the public. It sucks because dealing with people sucks! People are mean especiallly when their kid is involved. I know, I know...not everyone falls into this category. Again most people are fine but its the crappy ones that sour the milk. Such as the guy in the 405 area code. I doubt there is an simple solution to this problem. You could hire lots of receptionists to answer phones and field questions but again that takes the personal touch out of it. Maybe people just need to realize that your time is precious.

I get concerned when people suggest that raising prices is the answer. It may work but I think it would cause a loss of customers. Not that people would go somewhere else to have it done but just not do it. Currently, I have a top end in there for the big bore package and I'm patiently waiting for its return. I know it will get done and get done right. However, the cost of getting this mod done is high for something I use as a toy. Honestly, I would never tell my wife what this cost because she would freak!!! BUT I do know that other hop up shops charge way more and would not give me the quality mod or customer service that I have rec'd in the past from EG. Thank you for what you do, at the price that you do it at!!!

Maybe Eric and Rich can have their own show on the Discovery Channel!!!

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Eric was just telling it like it is. Obviously he is justifiably stressed. I would be too.
A suggestion for Eric : Get a phone system that makes the caller listen to a basic spiel about services offered and services not offered (such as free consultations) and then lets them hear music until someone answers their line. Hopefully that would weed out many of the freeloaders.
:-)

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks Eric!

It's a lovely thing the general public! :uh:
Don't worry Eric things have gotta get better!
You the man! If anything just have a nice day.... :laugh:
Make a few indepth video tapes or dvd's on how to rebuild your 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine and perhaps place the add for them on your web page. Then perhaps the people who just want free info will not tie you up on the phone as much.
I'm not marketing my Dads video production and editing skills but he's the man! Ok I won't tie up anymore of your time so when I come pick up my what was roached engine you can kick my butt then. Hey at least I'm a paying customer...
I will always keep you in mind for all repairs and will refer others. Thank you very much, Mark
P.S. I'm really looking foward to seeing your shop. I will check for a reply Thursday to see if you have my 00CR500 motor ready to be picked up. If you don't reply to post I'll call Thursday evening.

CRSpeedy

Nov 24, 2002
Have you ever heard of a great surgeon with a bad bedside manner?
In my experiences, I have found the best mechanics are far from the most friendly, borderline arrogant but it is so nice to talk someone who actually knows what he is talking about. Many shops hire someone to talk to the customers and write up the work order. I have gotten the impression that a lot of these guys would'nt know how to change the spark plug or oil on a motorcycle even if they could afford one.
Good help is hard to find.

braulsy

Jan 14, 2004
I Had Eric Do My Top End This Past Month, Ihave Head Nothing But Good, About His Place. I Was Afist Time Costomer, And He'll Get All My Work From Now On.
Thanks Eric
Ben Rauls

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Tony Eeds said:
Tell ~d~ that I will send my cylinder properly prepared for her loving touch when I need a cylinder fixed! :laugh:

LOL! I'll be waiting patiently, Tony. Do your worst. :p :laugh:

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Eric,
I’ve been doing business with you for almost 10 years now. All good with the exception of the Beer, Bait and Bullets era, which I’ll gladly chalk up as a rarity. You’re a great, super honest guy who maintains a very high emotional bank account with anyone that knows you to any degree. So with all this said, as one of your loyal customers, I’m going to tell you what you need to hear.
If you’re working 16 hours/day, 7 days a week; you seriously need to step back, take a look in the mirror, and re-examine your priorities. There’s no glory in living your life this way; as a matter of fact it’s selfish. Other people, much more important to you than cylinder repair customers, are missing out on your camaraderie and friendship all so you can grind on a few more cylinders or rebuild a few more crankshafts. Workaholism is a selfish sickness. Believe me, I know. I was raised by one and have heard all the same dialogue you’ve presented herein. BS! Do yourself a big favor and re-examine your priorities. You’re the best at what you do; no question about that. But you need to learn how to manage. You can only control so much yourself. You’ve got to learn how to delegate effectively. It’s possible. Think about this.
Sorry if this pisses you off; but you need to hear it.

Jim Sanders

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
dirty~d~ said:
LOL! I'll be waiting patiently, Tony. Do your worst. :p :laugh:
Dang it ~d~. If I'd a knowd you had the engine cleaning covered, I wouldn't a spent so much time scrubbing on mine. :laugh:

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
Eric, thanks for your cander. You have helped me several times on the phone, once you talked to me while you were washing a few dishes at your kitchen sink. I bought a Ohlins Shock from you once and have probably talked to you four times. I appreciate your personal touch and found it amazing that you work so hard and are so patient. I could not do it. I have been in the outdoor equipment repair business and I understand your struggles. Maybe you are working too hard without delegating enough. Fortunately for me my nervous system shuts down much quicker than yours does therefore forcing me to change. I simply tell people I don't have the time to chat because I am too busy. Please stay helpful and humble while you figure this out.

Mr. Clean
ps. success to me is doing my reasonable best with honesty while keeping my God and family first and my business second...praying for you too!

Dan Dennis

Oct 17, 2003
Eric, I just want to thank you for the great job you did on my KTM 300.
I was smart enough to send my complete engine to Eric in early November.
I got it back about the first of the year and the work was top notch and the price was cheaper than I could have done anywhere else.
If you want the best in the business wait in line or do as Eric suggests , get it done in the off season.
I had a total engine rebuild and the bike never ran this good. Thanks Dan

Top Bottom