expensive boots vs. value bootss

• Yes, they are a better boot

Votes: 128 49.4%
  • No, you are just paying for a logo

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • yes and no, they are better boots, but are still paying more than they're worth.

Votes: 113 43.6%

• Total voters

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
i would like to know if the more expensive brands, like alpinestars and gaerne, are really better than your average boot. Is the price just for the star on the front, or are you really paying for better boot?

Last edited:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I had Alpinestars M4s - a pretty cheap boot that I picked up for $70 when I first got back into bikes. Then I got a pair of Tech 8s - NO COMPARISON.

The M4s were good for protecting my ankle and legs from light to medium impacts, but they didn't provide much support.

The Tech 8s make my ankle feel like it's encased in steel and the buckle system is 10 times better.

Of course I bought the Tech 8s used for $50 from MXGirl230, so . . .

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Spend the cash and get a good pair of boots. I've got A-star tech 6s. These boots have saved my feet/ankles more times than I'd care to count.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
You do get a better boot when you spend more money, but you have to decide how much is too much for you to spend. If you are just a weekend trail rider, you might decide its not worth investing a lot of money in high-end boots.
Ive got a pair of Alpinestars Tech-4s. They are nice and were relatively inexpensive, but the buckles dont always stay latched.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You can damage an toe/foot/ankle/leg riding trail on a weekday too ;)

Two things I will never "settle" on to save a few bucks; helmet and boots. I'm not comfortable with "this boot will probably be good enough". It doesn't matter how often, or where & what I ride, I want to know I've protected my body parts as well as I can. It would be difficult to kick myself in the arse with a broken ankle.

Bottom line; if you can afford good protection for your body, you can't afford this sport.

Jan 31, 2005
dude spend the money! Buy cheap spend twice. Materials are going to be better and will last longer. A lot of reserach and development goes into those "name brands".

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
from a price to boot standpoint, not what boot should i get, does the difference in safety, durablity and comfort equal the difference in price?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Yes. I had a pair of Alpinestars M4's which was about a $180 pair of boots. They began to stretch out quickly and the buckles were junk. I upgraded to a pair of Tech 6 alpinestars which is about a $260 pair of boots and will absolutely never wear budget boots again. More expensive boots use a much better grade of leather, better buckles, etc.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Chris, you should read some of the other threads on boots. The more experienced riders all seem to believe that the extra cost is well deserved. The same goes for helmets. Unfortunately, I cannot give a good opinion from personal experience because I bought the inexpensive Thor boots and still wear them. When the time comes, I will most likely spend a bit more on better. My boots have done their job so far, but I am not completely happy with them.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
getting more specific...
does anybody know how the gaerne fastback compares to the sg10? the price is definatly a plus. also, does anybody in socal know who stocks gaerne? can't find anybody.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Alpinestars Tech 6 or 8's & Sidi's are sweet and well worth the cash!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
CHR!S said:
getting more specific...
does anybody know how the gaerne fastback compares to the sg10? the price is definitely a plus. also, does anybody in socal know who stocks gaerne? can't find anybody.

I have a pair of fastback and am happy with them. I have never had a pair of sg10 to compare them to.

My previous boots were the old Tech 5's and then a pair of Tech 8's. I loved the Tech 8's but destroyed them in less than two years. At $235 the fastbacks seem like a good deal compared to the Tech 6, 8, or sg10's and they have the hinged ankle like the more expensive sg10's.

If you have big calves (I don't) you will love the gaerne boots they are very roomy there.

If money was no object I would buy the new Sidi's but $400 is a little too rich for me.

At the price I paid for them I feel like I can replace them on a regular basis.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
I rode with a pair of my friends Sidi Force SRSs this weekend. I wore those things for 14 hours straight and they are amazing. If i could afford those i would definatly buy some. On the other hand I have tried on some Flys and didnt like those as much. Ive been looking into getting boots here soon and the more im learning I think i will definatly go with some more expensive better brand boots.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, the way to go is to buy a premium boot on close-out. Get an '06 right after the '07 models come in for a big discount. I bought my black '05 model Gaerne SG-10s for $250 at the start of '06. Considering cheap boots retail for $150 - $200 I think I got a steal.

I usually buy good boots, but I went cheap on my last pair before the Gaernes. MSR System 6 I believe. They lasted well, but I'll never buy cheap boots again. Less protection & less comfort.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Boots are cheap when you compare them to a week off work from a foot injury.....or you compare them to a ER visit bill.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
while were talking about boots...

ive never had white boots. are they hard to keep clean? how long do they stay nice and white?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL....
Yeah, they look great before, during, and after the parade. :)

mex_ros

Aug 2, 2006
What you pay is what you get!
I have a pair of gaerne boots they are excellent 100% protection. The only thing that pisses me off is that i bought them black colour...Damn :bang:

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I bought cheap boots when I started riding off road back in december. This summer I bought a pair of Sidi Crossfire SRS boots. I'd NEVER EVER go back! With the cheap boots there was a break in period and I always seemed to be fighting the boots to work the controls. With the Sidi's they were comfortable right out of the box and I don't notice them at all when I'm riding. I'm able to shift when and where I want, brake exactly how much I want, etc. The protection is far better as well - I've taken hits in the Sidi's that I know would have done damage in the cheapies I had at first. IMO quality boots are 110% worth the cost. BTW, dirt rider magazine had the Sidi Crossfires as a 2nd place for the best product of the year.

Top Bottom