expensive boots vs. value bootss

• Yes, they are a better boot

Votes: 128 49.4%
  • No, you are just paying for a logo

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • yes and no, they are better boots, but are still paying more than they're worth.

Votes: 113 43.6%

• Total voters

244racer

Mar 20, 2007
boots

I have alpinestars tech 7s they are very comfotable and they just feel like they preotect me very well they hold up great to i had cheap boots and i will never get another pair of chaep boots

May 10, 2007
i have some alpinestar tech 3 and some tech 10

i like em both. the tech 3's i dont use as much just cuz i got the 10's for a very good price (almost free from my friend's dad's store) and things always feel better when they are free

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
I tried the Fox Trackers and they were pretty uncomfortable... Then I broke my toe in them... So after some research, I got the Gaerne's and WOW, what a differeance!!!!!! Best boot by far! and worth the extra $. When I went riding with 20 or so other guys in the woods, I think half of the people had the Gaerne's...

See what GUNFTR said above... Spend now or spend later. Your feet are worth it!

GUNFTR

Feb 11, 2007
Long but if you don't want to read, just skip

You may remember my earlier post… here is an update:

• Heel shattering injury February 17.
• Surgery to repair with titanium February 27.
• Return to work April 3 on crutches.
• Rehab began end of April.
• Walking without crutches in late May (after 4 wks rehab).
• Finished rehab in latter weeks of June.
• Riding street again in July
• Going to finally hit the dirt again in August I hope (6 months later!!!)

GUNFTR

Feb 11, 2007
More...

Went shopping for new boots in July after selling my slightly used Fox Trackers for $75. I had been back on the street several times and it was time to start thinking dirt again.

Price was no object in this search. Comfort, support, and protection were utmost in mind. I tried on Gaerne, Sidi, Fox F3, and the entire Alpinestar line. I squatted, jumped up and down, walked, put on and took off, I was driving the guy at the counter crazy. They had the Tech 6s marked down to $219 due to the new Tech 7s being introduced this year. My wife asked about the 7s and the guy said he'd sell me a pair of the 7s for $225 instead of the $259 MSRP.

I ended up going to 3 different dealers before the day was done in order to try on all the upper end boots I could locate within 30 miles.

GUNFTR

Feb 11, 2007
The final decision

After all was said and done it came down to the Sidi Crossfire or the Alpinestar Tech 7. Due to the limited range of flexion in the foot I really could not get my feet into the bootie models (A-Star 8 & 10). Both the Crossfire and Tech 7 felt the same regarding support. The Gaerne felt like it let my ankle flex a little too much.

I decided to go with the Tech 7 for several reasons. They felt light, yet very solid. They did not have a ton of extra plastic armor screwed into the outside with screws that could come loose or get lost, and they didn't have a lot of panels on the inside that could get hooked on the bike. Plus a lot of magazines and web sites are giving the Tech 7s favorable comparisons to the Tech 10s. Basically a Tech 10 without the bootie. The 7s are extremely comfortable to wear and fit perfectly without any pinch points or hot spots. The buckles are solid. I like the molded sole without any lip to catch on anything. For my particular injury, I am thankful they are not hinged. Even though the ankle itself was not injured, it has yet to regain full range and I want it to happen over time, not due to unplanned impact in the dirt.

GUNFTR

Feb 11, 2007
Makes me wanna ride BAD!!!

So now we are on to chapter two. I attended the National at Washougal over the weekend and watched Villapoto, Townley and Dungey shred the track, saw Short, Windham, Ferry, Windham and Stewart roost major dirt. What a total KICK!!! Came home and got around to some minor improvements on the CR and KDX. Started one up and revved it a good long while. Man it sounded good. :cool:

Sometime in the next few weeks I'll be attempting to actually ride in the dirt again. After about 16 visits for Physical Therapy at around $200 a pop, I'm walking pretty good (i.e. no more crutches), but still slightly limping and have small issues with going down stairs. I'm now ready to climb back on that horse. It's been 6 months.

Incidentally, the CRF150F that I was riding “to demonstrate for my wife how easy it was to ride” when I crushed the heel, well that bike has now been sold. I lost no money on that deal due to the smokin’ deal I got when I bought it. But I think the small size of the bike may have contributed to the injury. It's just not meant for real jumping of any sort unless you upgrade the suspension.

As for boots, buy the best you can afford, and wear them all the time. You can even hurt your foot or leg just kick starting a bike without the proper protection.

Everyone ride safe. :ride:

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
GUNFTR-Hit the dirt now. Riding will stretch and strengthen those ligaments faster than any exercise and it will lift you spiritually. 7 mos. ago I crushed tib/fib., now have 18 pins and 2 plates. I understand where you are at in the healing process. You will continue to get stronger and more flexible, that limp will go away and you'll fly down those stairs. I used the pain levels when riding to gage my physical recovery. Of course, don't start with the big jumps but get out there. Your psyche needs it.

GUNFTR

Feb 11, 2007
back in the Saddle Again

I hit the dirt slowly yesterday, basically just getting reaquainted with the bike and the new boots. Man that felt good, but I realized how woefully out of shape I got after six months... Wow. time to begin working out again.

You are right, riding will be the best medicine. Time to make time for riding every month... someday i will attempt some air time...

quikondirt

Sep 6, 2007
Sidi Crossfire's

Sure they cost a pretty penny, but no other boot compares to them on the market. Flexibity, comfort, and the best safety available. Its funny when you compare an expensive Astars boots and ask if you are just paying for the logo. Of course you are just paying for the logo, same with Fox and they still make cheap boots. Buy the best and cry once.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I picked up a set of A* Tech 7's yesterday, and so far so good. They fit like a glove out of the box and seemed totally broken in within an hour or less.

I'm pretty sure they've saved my feet already, as I felt myself kick the rear tire a few times in corners

GUNFTR

Feb 11, 2007
Alpinestars

After trying every model that Fox offers, including what Bubba and Ricky supposedly wear, I can tell you that Alpinestars are in a whole other league than Fox. The buckles are better, the interiors are better, and judging from the feedback of the dealers I asked, they get a lot of returns and or breakage on the Fox boots. Not so with Alpinestar.

I tried on the Crossfire and while it did provide sure protection from rolling your ankle sideways, and good protection from impact all over, the hinged design allowed too much movement up and down for my ankle, to where it felt like in a foot dragging situation, I might be able to hyper-extend my ankle.

That may well be due to the stiffness and vulnerable feeling of my own ankle. For now, the Tech 7's appear to offer the best overall protection regardless of cost. Once I regain full range of motion and regain confidence in the foot/ankle, I may again try out the Sidi boots, but for now I'm very happy with my purchase of the Alpinestars. :nod:

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I picked up a set of new A* Tech 7's a while ago. Sadly only been out once with them so far(or at all...dammit).

They are really comfy, felt great right out of the box, and were totally broken in within an hour. Plus I'm pretty sure they've saved my feet already, I could feel my foot nicking the back tire a few times coming out of corners (yes, I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm new...).

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
Recently bought a pair of Alpinestars Tech 3 boots online, and although I've only ridden 4-5 times with them, they feel solid. Last pair I of boots I had were some blue and purple Thor boots I found new in an indoor flea market (looked like they were made in the mid '90s). The Thor boots were Italian made and fit me well, but they began to leak and the soles seperated (wore them for 3 years though). Stayed latched good, although they were a bit too stiff for walking while on the trail.
My new Tech 3s feel really good, and with the AT sole, are better than my last boots when I off the bike clearing trail. Buckles are more robust, but the inward-facing first buckle pops open from time to time- I'm so in the zone when I ride I don't even realize it until I'm stopped :)
Bottom line Tech 3s : $150.00 buckles pop open every now and then, otherwise no problem.
Thor mystery boots: $50.00 slick sole, not very waterproof, stiff fit, lasted 3 years before unusable (Got my money's worth).
Alpinestars feel better, and if they hold up well, they're what I'll stick with in the future.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
I am very picky about my feet. If there is any little slightly uncomfortable thing about my socks or the inside of a shoe... these feet of mine WILL form a blister.

That having been said... I am VERY pleased with these FOX Pro-Forma boots. Very comfy and easy to adjust each latch quickly for perfect fit. These are supposed to be the same boots that James Stewart wears... and if they are... I can tell you he wears'em for a good reason. Not only that... they are not overly heavy at all.

Another thing I like about'em is that the toe is not all abnormally thick and tall requiring me to re-position the gear-shift on the spindle. Add to that that these boots... right from the git go... did not require much force to shift-up. that's a big plus over the span of the whole day.

Plus... make SURE you get some with the plastic covering the shifting toe at the very least. Don't EVEN buy a boot without at least THAT.

My $.02

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
I got some Alpinestar Tech 10"s online for $349. I have'nt got to try them out yet. I had a pair of Gearne fast backs but the emt's cut them off of me when I broke my leg :bang:

GUNFTR

Feb 11, 2007
Fastbacks

Did you like the Fastbacks? That was the other boot I thought I might really like but no local dealers carried them and I didn't want to do the mail order thing... So I ended up with the A-Stars... still happy too, but wondering how the Fastbacks might measure up...

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
The fastbacks were the best boot I have ever owned until I got my Tech 10's. You cant go wrong with the fastbacks the were comfortable very protective and were broke in by 3 rides. But when it was wet out my feet always got really wet. The tech 10's keep my feet drier and are even more comfortable and I feel like I can take a baseball bat swing any where on my feet. The break in period seemed to be non existant. They are worth the total price of $364 plus shipping. :cool:

Pauloxxi

Oct 24, 2007
I'm just a beginner here and can not tell much. I got the Fox tracker, which is the low end, only $139.00. I think they will protect me enough since I'm not really in to go FAST.
My hard time is being to get the feeling and control of the bike wearing these things... These boots are really thick, hard and heavy and I wonder if I had pay more for something better I would have a "softer" product and "easier"?!?!?!?!?!
I know this is the typical dumb question, for many of you, but it really intrigates me the fact that those boots are so hard and bulky.
Appreciate your inputs

ShoujoKakumei

Sep 14, 2007
Pauloxxi - I have the same problem with my Tech 3s, what's been helping is walking around in them a lot to kind of loosen out some of the stiffness. A friend of mine suggested kicking hard objects, but he's also the guy who had me try to ride his 450 when I'd never been on a motorcycle before, so I don't know about taking his advice.. *lol*

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
I recently took a major hit to my left leg.I was t-boned and the other riders front wheel hit me right on the boot,ankle to knee my leg literally turned deep purple in a way I have never experienced before. :yikes: I was wearing tech 8's . I am absolutely, positively sure the boots saved my season.Besides the protection offered, you can by replacement parts. Heels,soles,buckles etc...I bought these during the 2000 season.
I'm sure a cheaper quality boot would offer about as much protection as a pair of high top running shoes after this many seasons of abuse.My next pair will be only top of the line!!! :nod:

motocross3

Jan 30, 2008
Pay out the cash and get the good boots. A year ago i was wearing hunting boots and riding. Then i wrecked on my fourwheeler and totaled it and fractured my knee and 6 months later got a dirtbike and all the gear and fox boots and went off a jump and front tire blew out and it went sideways and fell on me and the swing arm was laying right on my ankle and it swelled but was not broken thanks to the boots.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I've ridden with a pair of tech 7's and hated them. They killed the bone on the outside of my foot and they also dug in really hard to my ankle bone. It was to the point that I'd wear them for 30 min then I had to stop just because those areas were killing me. I sold those off and used what I made back from them and bought myself a pair of Thor Quadrants. They have seemed to protect me fairly well, but have torn up pretty quickly. I ride weekly for about 5 hours per ride and I've owned the boots for slightly more than a year, but I've just about worn all the way through the sole of the boot on both the peg area and the rear brake area. So, if your budget is low right now and you don't ride a lot then they might be a good fit for you because they have done a more than fair job of protection.

That being said.... My next set of boots will definitely be the Sidi Crossfires with the toecap. I don't like the molded sole boot, so I want to find the ones with the stitched sole and metal toecap. I love the fact that basically everything is replaceable and those boots feel like there isn't an unprotected spot on them. They are tanks when it comes to the protection, but still very light/durable/comfortable. I can't wait to be able to buy a set of those...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom