426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
I've got a tint nick in my fork tube that is causing the seal to leak. I am going to chnage the seals, but I need to know the best wat to knock off the nick and sand it down. It is very small... I can barely see it, bu tI can feel it.

What is a good way to get this smoothed out? If sand paper, what grit, etc?

Thanks.

yam 3

May 19, 2000
I read on here once if it is to deep to sand out all the way, then knock it down first with file and paper, then fill with super glue. Let the glue dry then re-sand the hump of glue down.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
You will want to do your final sanding with 800 grit or finer. My friend had his nick filed, filled with brazing rod, then sanded back down smooth. He has gone 2 years now on seals with no leaks so it must have worked!

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
I was thinking that that gray glue (can't think of the name) that you mix the two together. fill it in with that, and then coat the fork with oil or something to make it slick???

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Gray glue..... JB Weld?

I have a set of forks that are very scarred. I've thought of trying this but I dunno.....

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
A flat knife sharpening stone, in fine or extra-fine grit, works better than sandpaper. It's possible to remove too much and create a depression in the chrome, which can lead to problems. I use a flat-file first.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom