Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I recently put a new top end in an IT400 and cleaned the carb while it was out for machine work. When I got it together and put gas in the tank, gas poured out the overflow, but the bike did start. I rode it around a little to begin break in, but then it started bogging and stalling. Parked it and turned off the petcock.

I was packing for vacation, then gone, but started it a couple of times to warm it up and seat the rings. Gas was no longer exiting the overflow. I had thought I must have assembled something wrong in the float or needle and seat, but when it stopped leaking thought maybe something just stuck until it was wet.

Anyway, on Sunday I put new premix in and started it up, but it wouldn't idle at all. I played with the idle screw and air mix, but it just bogged more at low rpm, then died. After that it acted like it had no spark. The plug's black, but doesn't have any real build up on it. I've been too busy to sytematically diagnose it, but did see some posts here about flooded crankcases. If I did flood the crank because of a float issue, what's the proceedure to empty it? Is there a way to check short of pulling the top end again?

Thanks!

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
pull the tank and flip the bike over w/o the plug in and cycle the kickstarter....just like if you swamped it in some water

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom