Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Is there some type of scale the people go by when getting a dirt bike. Like I'm 5'9" and 180lbs so a XXXX bike would be right for me. For example, with my height & weight a CR125R would be good or no good for me? Thanks. Just looking for info tho help with what size bike I should or should not be looking for.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Height isn't so much a factor as weight with full size bikes, bigger guys need more power to pull them around in a hurry. Of course, there is a lot more to consider when choosing a bike. A 125 would pull you, A 250F has more bottom end torque for a beginner (less clutchwork also), it's easier to ride, but comes with a steeper price tag. The 250 smoker has a bit more bottom end than the 125, and can be ridden by a beginner that respects it (my first dirt bike was/is a KX250). The 450's are the torque monsters with the smooth powerband.

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
FruDaddy.....Thanks for the reply. From what your saying I think I'll hold off on a 125 and be on the look out for a used 250 2t or 4t. When you say 250f are you meaning the CRF250R or X? Kind of new here so not sure about all the terminology.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
R, the X (like Yamaha's WR) is designed more for trail riding than MX. The engine is very similar, but tuned a bit differently to better suit it's intended use. If you don't intend to do any serious MX riding, the X model would probably be a good choice.

richardgd

Jul 26, 2006
Choosing the right bike has as much to do with skill as it does with size. A beginner, on a 250 2-stroke, that loses his balence and falls backwards causing the throttle to twist will head for the woods at mach-10 doing a wheelie into the trees. A beginner on a 125 2-stroke that does the same thing will head for the woods, but only at mach-3 and maybe not wheelieing. I know this from experience, I'm now back on a 125 and having more fun because I'm more in control. I also weigh 225 and my new YZ125 has no problem pulling me around. A 125 takes more work to make it go fast, slipping the clutch and shifting, but put a fast rider on a 125 2-stroke and he will whip the average guy on a 450 4-stroke. My point is that it is more about the skill of the rider than the size of the bike. I also tried the CRF250 4-stroke for a while this year and found it much easier to ride due to the great low end torque but I didn't like the heavy, bulky feel as compared to a 125.

Top Bottom