Texas
pssst... how do you think I get him to make them :p

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by mrmodine
I see your point there Rich but I think if you want to use that analogy it would have more bearing on someone becoming a moderator...with the keys to the place.

Remember, I said the subscribers. They have already contributed some $$$ so its not totally free to them anyway.

My point was, a limited group of people in my gym get keys because they contributed more than most of the members. We still pay our membership, we just get keys for helping out around the place. A poor example maybe but the point was going a bit farther and being rewarded in some small way.

Subscribers do get to choose an avatar (bike type) just not a custom one which has to be earned. It's not that hard to earn one, so anyone who gets their nose out of joint over it should calm the hell down have a chicklet. :confused:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
It's the same phenomena as corporate culture.

People that think alike stick together in groups. There are opinion leaders, bullies, sycophants or suck up's, damsels in distress etc so on ad-nauseum. The status within the group is important to those who belong but the majority could give a rats behind since they have a life outside of DRN.

Group dynamics are pretty apparent to those who visit any group but usually the participants are clueless. This little fact is not wasted on those who are smart enough to value and use outside consultants to make major changes in corporate structure to effect change. The most common misconception of group members is that their idiosyncratic behavior serves a useful purpose for the good of the organization when it really is counterproductive. It is simply serves selfish purpose.

An outsider or newbie visiting DRN can't help but notice the group dynamic. If they notice some famiiarity among members and they assume this is a friendly place who can blame them? If they susequently get whacked out of ignorance or stupidty what do you think their impression is? If they see a double standard, which some posters have admitted, what is their reasonable conclusion?

The most telling thing is; given the question the responses largely are justifications, minimizations, and rationalizations of points of view or behavoir. You may say half jokingly or half seriously F%&@# 'em but you attitude is loud and clear by the tone of your posts.

This is not the way organizations make progress, like it or not. Some one else can have the soapbox now.

;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by fishhead
You may say half jokingly or half seriously F%&@# 'em but you attitude is loud and clear by the tone of your posts.

This is not the way organizations make progress, like it or not.

The simple fact that YOU think I (or we) are wrong just convinces me that we are doing the right thing. I can only hope the day my thinking syncs up with yours will be the day the out of control bus mows me down. :confused:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Maybe if we wait for one or two of the other "attitudes" to post.....it will all become clear. :think:

By the way, I like my avatar. :moon:

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
"In Crowd" I never noticed. I'm the last person that would be included in an "in crowd". If you feel left out it your oun fault because this is the nicest bunch of folks I've every been associated with. You just have to join in the madness. Remember there are no silly questions just silly people :moon:
Can I be in the "in Crowd"? :confused:

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I think that alot of the people that think there is an attitude towards them, come here with an attitude to start with. On other boards they are used to saying whatever they want in an attempt to be cute. It just doesn't fly here.

To be perfectly honest, a couple months after the FSX ended I almost got an attitude of my own. I didn't get upset with anyone nor did I post comment about it. I realized I don't bring much to the site in terms of it progressing. Most of don't, were not all as smart as Rich, nor as talented as Thump. I certainly don't have the time it takes to be a moderator nor do I have the money to be a big time sponsor. I sat back chewed on my chicklet for a minute and everything was cool. I came here because I heard it was a place I could come and have decent conversation with people about riding. What I gained in friendship here and on the rides I have been on,have been worth way more than the amount I paid becoming a subscriber.

Unfortunately some people post before they think and then wear they're feelings out on the end of their noses when they get torched. One thing I have to keep reminding myself is that there are some very young kids who's post require a good chewing on a chicklet, before I can respond to them.

I think Okie is doing a great job here, and the moderators have more patience than most third grade teachers I went through. :confused:

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

The simple fact that YOU think I (or we) are wrong just convinces me that we are doing the right thing. I can only hope the day my thinking syncs up with yours will be the day the out of control bus mows me down. :confused:

MY MY MY! I think we have a WINNER!

Thank you for making my point perfectly clear, as predicted.

Later Chum! ;)

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
You may say half jokingly or half seriously F%&@# 'em but you attitude is loud and clear by the tone of your posts.

;)

One light, one mind
Flashing in the dark
Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
For crying out loud she screamed unto me
A free for all
F@#$ 'em all
You are at your own sight

'Cause I want to be the minority

now, all sing along .... I want to be the minority ....... don't need your authority ...... Down with the moral majority

Listening to Green Day is like a kick in the head. :p

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Someones perception can often be different to reality. I would agree that after my absence I re-assessed DRN to get a feeling for it again before I posted, like I do with all new forums. It's possible it was a "not like the good ol' days" thing, maybe not.

I personally wouldn't jump in to the madness without careful consideration. There are many examples here and on other forums where people dived in where angels fear to tread and wished they hadn't.

Without doubt, DRN is still the best and friendliest forum I have frequented (one of the few where I feel comfortable when my kids browse it) but I did question if something had changed when I returned. Admins and moderators have a hard time dealing with the same issues/stupidity over and over again. No offense but, like cops who often deal with the worst in society, they tend to be the most jaded members of the forum and this can sometimes manifest itself subtly.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by Imho

Without doubt, DRN is still the best and friendliest forum I have frequented (one of the few where I feel comfortable when my kids browse it) but I did question if something had changed when I returned. Admins and moderators have a hard time dealing with the same issues/stupidity over and over again. No offense but, like cops who often deal with the worst in society, they tend to be the most jaded members of the forum and this can sometimes manifest itself subtly.

Heck Yes! With a few exceptions.

There is no reason to become jaded since unlike the cop who does it 24/7. this is a voluntary thing and you can step back anytime you want.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by Truespode

Don't worry. Some forums have their own rules so if you do not frequent the forum too often you can get confused. Also, when you are active in one forum you get the feeling everyone knows you but sometimes if you venture off to a different one things can seem different.

It's all good.

Ivan

Not to worry Ivan... I was just being polite  :scream: :laugh:

Kevin

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Mind you, I haven't hung out on the Crystals, Zen, Free-love and Tree-huggers forum yet, so DRN might not be THE friendliest forum. :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is no reason to become jaded since unlike the cop who does it 24/7. this is a voluntary thing and you can step back anytime you want.

That's the response I would expect from someone who does none of the work. One of the issues that regularly dooms most sites like this is an unwillingness on the part of people who volunteer to stick it out over the long haul. This place is pretty rare when you look at how stable it has been in terms of people doing the heavy lifting over the years.

This place is far from perfect, only a fool would believe otherwise, but I'm convinced we are doing a better job then most. Damn these myopic eyes of mine. :eek:

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002

That's the response I would expect from someone who does none of the work. One of the issues that regularly dooms most sites like this is an unwillingness on the part of people who volunteer to stick it out over the long haul. This place is pretty rare when you look at how stable it has been in terms of people doing the heavy lifting over the years.

This place is far from perfect, only a fool would believe otherwise, but I'm convinced we are doing a better job then most. Damn these myopic eyes of mine. :eek:

Oh, you're such a martyr there Rich! If you want to do the work it is voluntary...you don't have to bitch about it or blow your horn or flex your muscles every chance you get.

One thing I can say for sure: I have only personally heard from about 4-5 people bitching about DRN but MOST of it has been about ONE SPECIFIC demigod!

I wonder who that would be?

Good grief!

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
I'm happy to help too but usually volunteering is one thing, whether I'm considered right for the job is someone else’s decision.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
regarding the avatars,

the "keepers of the avatars" are humans just like the rest of us.  Their decisions are based on THEIR PERCEPTIONS, and naturally could be swayed one way or the other based on personal adgendas, opinions, etc.  Until the AVBOT 9000 computer is implemented, which will accurately calculate the deservement coefficient of each member and reward accordingly, this is the way it will be. 

No matter who was or wasn't awarded one, someone wouldn't agree.  That's why I pretty much ignore the whole issue of who's in the exclusive club, and who isn't...besides, I think a more import underlying issue is that we need way  more avatars with BOOBS! :yeehaw: :laugh:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
ahhhh yes the whaambulance or "no whiners" response...that would be the universal (funny the first 9746 times) response to anyone complaining about anything.  Honestly, wouldn't it be easier to just ignore the true whiners?  Take me, for example...

i'm whining about the people who whine about the whiners!

Now that I think about it, anyone (including pilot and co-pilot) IN  the whaaaaaambulance must be guilting of whining of some type, naturally...

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
This is just my $0.02 here, but this thread seems to be getting a little off track. Instead of pointing fingers or flaming people we might not get along with, maybe we should continue to brainstorm ideas on how to change this 'attitude' we seem to have.

I'll admit that after reading through this thread I've reflected back on things I could have done differently that might have helped someone feel more at home. My first thread on DRN was met head on by a few mods who, to me, misunderstood my intentions and I was hand slapped for it, by the Bossman himself. (I felt so proud) :) It stung a little, but I 'walked it off' and adjusted accordingly. I've been like that my entire life so it has been difficult at times for me to understand how some people just don't work that way. We can't change our own perceptions, but keeping in mind that not everyone shares our perception might be a step in the right direction. Yes, yes I know... easier said than done.

Again, just my $0.02.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ok! you want help? How can I help?

Criticize THEN offer a suggestion on how to cure the problem. I think that's all we can realistically ask. :thumb:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by mrmodine
Oh, you're such a martyr there Rich!

For the life of me I'm trying to figure out who you are or what I did to get under your skin. I don't honestly care one way or the other, I'm just curious.

FWIW, I was merely making a point in reference to fishheads comment. If I didn't want to do the work I wouldn't be here, plain and simple.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Dirty D: Agreed. Probably a bit further than intended on my part. However, I do think what we have been talking about here is EXACTLY the kind of attitude that people don't like.

I have nothing against Rich personally. In fact, I have never met him and I have never butted heads with him on here but I have personally seen threads where he has, in my opinion, seriously inflated a problem and overstepped his usage of the "keys".

He is not alone...I have seen it from others as well. Rich was just an easy target because of his attitude even on this thread.

Remember, Okie asked for the feedback. People have responded with their honest opinions and hopefully not just grinding personal axes. We can't and won't all agree on everything but we have to agree to disagree and not make somebody feel or look stupid for having a differing opinion. Comments like:
are totally combative and do nothing to help the situation at hand.

These kinds of things don't need to be happening. DRN is a fantastic place to hang already but I feel it could be even better if stuff like this was kept to a minimum at best.

Top Bottom