i need help choosing a new front tire

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
I need a new front tire for my cr250 and I want the best possible front tire for dirt with a hard base with a thin layer of loose dirt on top (the tracks I ride tend to have these conditions) what do you guys recommend? I have been running the Dunlop 490 or 739 an I need a better front tire. IM confused do I get hard terrain because of the hard base? or do I get intermediate because of the loose dirt on top?

SoCalMatt

Dec 8, 2004
I just installed a Kenda Carlsbad front tire today. I have never tried one before so I'll let you know how it goes. I too normally ride on hard surface conditions with a sandy, slippery surface. I'm probably not riding this coming weekend because I'm "On-Call" at work, unfortunately. :(

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
While not a fan of a the 756 on the rear (wears way too fast), they are great on the front. Also look at the Maxxis HT, great on hard pack, which IMHO is what you should be concerned about based on your decription of conditions.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I just put aBrigestone 401F on the front of my bike. I usually use the 756 RR's which are excelent. The reason I went with the 401f is because it is available in a 90/100-21 size. This is almost 1/2 inch wider than normal. I really like the tire so far. and believe it was worth the 50.00 that I paid at Rocky Mountain atv.

Motorep146

Dec 10, 2004
john stu said:
I need a new front tire for my cr250 and I want the best possible front tire for dirt with a hard base with a thin layer of loose dirt on top (the tracks I ride tend to have these conditions) what do you guys recommend? I have been running the Dunlop 490 or 739 an I need a better front tire. IM confused do I get hard terrain because of the hard base? or do I get intermediate because of the loose dirt on top?

I prefer either a Pirelli MT18 or MT83/Scorpion Pro. If I'm riding mainly hard pack/rocks with some sand I'll use the MT18. If it's mainly soft with a touch of hardpack then I go the the MT83/Scorpion Pro. The prices are reasonable and they wear like iron. Right now I'm using an MT32 rear and a Scorpion Pro front on my RM. BTW, the Scorpion Pro is just an updated MT83 front. Run which ever you can find as they're both great.

Kevin

James980

Dec 29, 1999
I don't know if they are ideal for your conditions, but I'm relatively happy with the all-around performance of the reasonably priced Maxxis ITs I put on my bike this fall.

500guy

Aug 4, 2004
My track is as you described. Tires I have tried and like a lot are the Dunlop 756 and Maxxis HT. Tires I did not like, AT ALL, are the Dunlop 739 and M-12. To be completely fair thought, all the tires I did not like just happended to be on a KTM 250SX and the tires I do like where on either a CR250 or RM250....so your results may vary...

Top Bottom