TorpedoMan

Sep 7, 2004
skitspuce....xlnt - go the pics and info - thank you very much!!!! I will look at the mod over xmas after a case or two or three (MIL will be about). 8)

Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
Okay, here's the deal....lost my hard drive, along with all the pics. We've just moved to a new house and my garage is a disaster, but as soon as I get a chance I'll crack it open and take some more pics. Sorry about the delay.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I mailed the info.

mbarryracing

Jun 14, 2005
I just bought my 4 yr old a 2003 JR50, want to enable 1st gear to slow this thing down abit (too fast even with the throttle, etc limited max) before his mother goes into cardiac arrest...
Can anyone email me some tips or pics of what exactly needs to be done to the shaft flange. I do have the diagram from a previous forum but it is not too clear or specific. Do I have to split the cases to change the shift fork cam with different slots?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
Sorry guys, computer crashed and I lost all the pics. Sold the JR as well, so can't take more.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
The whole cover.

hambone1

Nov 8, 2005
Just wanted to say thanks to the guys who led the "how to" part of this thread.
I just got done watching my 8 year old shifting his long forgotten jr50 around the yard.. Who knew that there has been another gear hiding in there. I really appreciate your time for helping other people out. Its nice knowing there are still people "willing to spend the time". Thanks again fellas.

BTW ,I know the 50 is alittle too small for him, but its great practice for his upcomming Xmas present (JR80). Its gonna be tough waiting. Sometimes I feel like I want to just give it to him now. I'm not sure who wants xmas to come more.......

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Glad he's enjoying it! :cool:

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
hambone1 said:
BTW ,I know the 50 is alittle too small for him, but its great practice for his upcomming Xmas present (JR80). Its gonna be tough waiting. Sometimes I feel like I want to just give it to him now. I'm not sure who wants xmas to come more.......

I know the feeling. When I got my son his kdx50 for x-mas of 2003 I couldn't wait to give it to him. I bought it a month early and every time he was gone, I had it out looking at it. I even rode it down the street a few times.

mrrmz

Feb 5, 2006
Skitspuce said:
I have done this, and I took some pics, so if you're interested, lemme know. I'll email them to ya. Took all of about 15 minutes.
Could you email me the pictures for the 2nd gear deal for the JR at tbarnhart1@cogeco.ca? I have almost no mechanical ability so any tips would help.
Also, if I was going to premix would you happen to know the ratio?
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I sent it to you, but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if you're short on mechanical skills.

NSM

Feb 5, 2006
JR50 2nd Gear

Could someone please email me some info and pictures if possible on performing the gear mod on the JR50. I am a mechanic by trade, so hopefully should be able to handle the job.

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
i have done the mod as well and it does help give the jr a lot more bottom end for getting up hills etc, but i noticed now that when little zook (zook50) puts the jr into gear it lurches pretty hard, anyone know what may be causing this? our suzuki dealer says that the clutch is not adjustable.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
ZOOK250 said:
when little zook (zook50) puts the jr into gear it lurches pretty hard, anyone know what may be causing this?

The idle is too high.

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
i forgot to say that he has to gas it when puting it in gear otherwise it will immediatly stall. i guess that would be the lurching problem. if it is stalling would that be because of a low idle setting? i removed the ristrictors in both the head pipe and silencer and it never has really had as much snap as when the silencer restrictor was in place. the first gear makes up for this problem but second gear is deffinatly more anemic than before.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
What kind of gearbox oil are you running?

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
ZOOK250 said:
i forgot to say that he has to gas it when puting it in gear otherwise it will immediatly stall. i guess that would be the lurching problem. if it is stalling would that be because of a low idle setting? i removed the ristrictors in both the head pipe and silencer and it never has really had as much snap as when the silencer restrictor was in place. the first gear makes up for this problem but second gear is deffinatly more anemic than before.
Restrictor in the silencer? I didn't know there was one. I did the 2nd gear mod and it works great. Idles in either gear or neutral. It will clunk a bit going into gear, but that's normal. Try raising the idle a bit and tell zook50 to stay of the gas when putting it in gear.

I emailed a couple gearbox mod pics to the folks below, BTW.

-T

Top Bottom