MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Is anyone going to ride the Kalkaska loop this weekend? I haven't been on that loop in 3 years, and would like to ride it again, especially the northeast section through the hills. Looking for a riding partner.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I'm guessing that's a pretty good trail then? It can't be more than 45 minutes from the clubgrounds, can it? I'd really like to ride some new/different trail than I usually do. If taking a little truck ride from the clubgrounds one morning wouldn't be a problem, count me in.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
That would be great! It's 30-45 minutes, take 66 up to M-72, turn right. It's a few miles down the road on the left side, a HUGE parking lot. We can meet there, but I'd probably want to drive to another spot that's not marked well (north on Goose Creek Road near a state campground if you want to look at a map. Goose Creek road is the first road west past where the Manistee River crosses under M-27) and gets us closer to good stuff.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mark
Nathan won't have a way to trailer his bike there, we're in the RV this weekend.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark - what day are you thinking of doing this? Depending on when, I may be able to make it.

Fred - give the keys to the Jimmy to Nathan, hook up the trailer and away he goes! (oops... am i being a bad influeance on an impressionable young person???....)

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
KTM Mike said:
Fred - give the keys to the Jimmy to Nathan, hook up the trailer and away he goes! (oops... am i being a bad influeance on an impressionable young person???....)

:p

I'll see if I can find a way to get over there...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
KTM Mike said:
Mark - what day are you thinking of doing this? Depending on when, I may be able to make it.

I see today that gas has risen 20 cents a gallon since this morning. I don't plan to take 2 vehicles up north this weekend, the RV at 8 MPG is plenty enough to spend. The Jimmy will be staying home, but you are welcome to swing by the clubgrounds and pick him up.
Fred

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
KTM Mike said:

Mike, I was looking at riding Sunday morning around 10am. I've got to take care of some yardwork on Saturday around the cabin, this is the first time we've been up this year.

If you can't make it no big deal. I'll either head to LMC or dual-sport around the area (or even to LMC, that's a nice back-road run from the cabin).

Fred, my truck gets 15 mpg unloaded, 8 mpg pulling the trailer, I feel the pain of gas prices! It a hundred bucks just in gas to haul my trailer around.

Bring the RV up to the parking lot and camp out there for the day! :laugh:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
Is that KDX plated yet? 30 MPG...

and if you stand up and bounce the front end you can get er up in forth and ride a heck of a wheelie :aj: Try that with your truck!! :moon:
I have been trying to get these guys I ride with used to riding the bikes up instead of trailering them.. I mean think about it, where are we going - BIKE RIDING. Its a win win in ol Woodsys book = save money and ride the bike more :nener:
I like the way you think Smitpooch :cool:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
Is that KDX plated yet? 30 MPG...
I'm suddenly reminded of a line from the movie Dumb & Dumber:

...after Lloyd tells Harry he traded their '84 Sheepdog van to a kid in town for a scooter...

Lloyd: I get 70 miles to the gallon on this hog.
Harry: Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Last edited:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
woodsy said:
and if you stand up and bounce the front end you can get er up in forth and ride a heck of a wheelie :aj: Try that with your truck!! :moon:
I have been trying to get these guys I ride with used to riding the bikes up instead of trailering them.. I mean think about it, where are we going - BIKE RIDING. Its a win win in ol Woodsys book = save money and ride the bike more :nener:
I like the way you think Smitpooch

Woodsy...I'm sorry buddy but that wouldn't end up saving me much cash. Do you know how much it would cost me to get insurance on that thing? :coocoo: You'd swear they think I'd try something ridiculous like doing a wheelie on the Interstate...with a mullet helmet on...

LC RM

Mar 23, 2005
I'd like to join you guys if thats ok. not street legal thought and i'm not familiar with the trail up there. let me know what day and if my mx bike is ok. the only time i can't go is sunday unless its after noon or 1, have to work a little.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
That "northeast section through the hills" wouldn't be the trail that was used during the recent enduro would it?

If so, I would just add that that trail was whoop city before the race!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Did it go up and down a ridge line a few times? That's where I was thinking of. 4-wheelers don't go in there, and it's pretty dark dirt so I'd be surprised if it's whooped up. There are sand spots along there thought that may be a mess.

Anywho, I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. Probably head to LMC.....

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Gentlemen, I just rode that trail system yesterday and I would strongly advise finding a different trail system!!!! That is unless you like to ride EXTREMELY whooped out, quad rutted, and house trailer wide trail!!! It was awful!!! May I suggest riding the Traverse City system. Yes there are some whoops, but the trail is much tighter than the freeway at Kalkaska.

The best trail would be off from Mayfield Rd. or possibly the Knight road parking lot.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i like the cadillac trails when im over that way

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Tom Dixon said:
Gentlemen, I just rode that trail system yesterday and I would strongly advise finding a different trail system!!!! That is unless you like to ride EXTREMELY whooped out, quad rutted, and house trailer wide trail!!! It was awful!!! May I suggest riding the Traverse City system. Yes there are some whoops, but the trail is much tighter than the freeway at Kalkaska.

The best trail would be off from Mayfield Rd. or possibly the Knight road parking lot.

I don't understand, don't hold back - how did you REALLY feel about the Kalkaska loop? :ohmy:

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
I rode the traverse city loops at the end of april and had a blast. There are some connecting Trails that are pretty whooped. The southern most loop was in great condition.
Curtis

Top Bottom