MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
OK, this may sound like a completely novice question but here it goes. I just got my 2000 YZ250 and from what I remember, on a 250 when you kick it, your boot (at the bottom of the stroke) goes under the foot peg. On my YZ if I let my boot go under the peg, my toe collides with the peg. I feel I will tear a hole in my boot if I continue to kick it that way.

I have since been kicking it like a 125 in that I slide my butt to the back of the seat and I end up with my foot on top of the peg at the bottom of the stroke.. It's almost like the kick starter is too short for a 250.

The reason why I am asking this is it takes me a couple of kicks to start it because I can't really kick it too hard. Any ideas..... It's been a while since I owned a 250 but I never has this problem kicking James 250 or another guys 2001 KX250.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
You might want to check into this a bit more. I am pretty certain the kick shafts are 2 different sizes. I'll check again tomorrow if I get the chance.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I just want to ba able to give it a FULL kick. I can see in pictures of the newer YZ's that the starter is longer and more twisted so I am looking forward to giving it a try. I looked on eBoy and didn't see any currently. I will keep on looking but if you see any, please contact me PM me.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Nope, I don't have one. However if I verify today that it fits I'm just gonna order a new one. I have Fastway pegs on my bike so it's even worse with those on there.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
On my 97 cr250 I have the same proablem(ithink it might be a different kickstarter). I just turn my foot to the right a bit and it clears the peg.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Shocknut said:
Nope, I don't have one. However if I verify today that it fits I'm just gonna order a new one. I have Fastway pegs on my bike so it's even worse with those on there.
I am pretty sure based on whyzee's experience with all the engines he has sold that it will fit. Tell me what you end up doing.

Mike

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
What about one off of a YZF?

elf

Jun 7, 2003
MikeT, When I had my yz 250 I used to get the ball of my foot lined up on the kick starter. that way when you kick down your toe misses the footpeg. Also I found that if you have something to lean against when kicking you can stand upright and get a better kick

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
MikeT said:
I am pretty sure based on whyzee's experience with all the engines he has sold that it will fit. Tell me what you end up doing.

Mike

Here is what I did. I got to Andy's place and went right into his garage and pulled the lever off his 03 YZ 250. I looked at it and just like the last time I said "too small". I took it over to my bike anyway this time just to say I have put it up against mine for direct comparison. It DON'T fit. The newer shaft IS smaller.

The other option would be to graft the 03 lever to the 00 knuckle and although I never did this it looked like it would not be a fit. There is no way that a 02 or newer lever will be a direct bolt on though.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Shocknut. The lever graft sounds like a good idea. I know if you use a #3 screw driver the lever will slip right off and all there is within the knuckle is a spring and a ball bearing. If I had a buddy with a newer YZ, I'd give it a try. Do you think Andy will let you try it?

If it works I'll do it too. I just don't have any way of testing it.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
this is troublesome. I had 3 motors on my bench several months ago, an 00, 01 and an 02. I remember using the 00 kick on all 3 of the motors and I'm talking about the entire assembly. I am a bit perplexed by this because I even remember having to remove the 02 unit from the 01 when I was going to shoot pics of it. hmmmm. Jeff, considering the seal is a different part # as well as the shaft boss, I'm going to have to concede. :| somewhere I messed up

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I'll post some more info on this later today.

I checked the idler gear part number as well as the clutch basket. (I already knew the basket is the same though). These 2 parts are the same as 00. So this tells me that the kickstart gear is the same as well. This means the conversion CAN be done IF the shaft seal od is the same on both models. I ordered both seals from my dealer today so I can verify this. This means the actual conversion will require the purchase of the kickshaft assy AND kick lever assy plus the 02 shaft seal. This makes it is a expensive conversion though it will also knock off some weight along with getting the better lever design.

02 kick shaft assy retail cost. $134.00
02 kick kick lever assy retail cost $104
02 shaft seal retail cost approx...$2

So, it's about $240 to do this. This is the ONLY way you will get a 02 or newer kick start lever on your bike. I shouldn't say that word as you might be able to actually machine the 00 knuckle to accept the 02 lever. I beleive the 00 knuckle post is larger then the 02 so that simple conversion won't work either.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Shocknut said:
I beleive the 00 knuckle post is larger then the 02 so that simple conversion won't work either.

Can you pull off your Andys and see if the lever will fit on the 00 knuckle so it can be verified?

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Yeah, I'll try to get that done this weekend for you. I won't see Andy (or any of the other guys I ride with that have newer YZ's) again until Sunday at the races. The reason I made the comment you quoted is that I looked it over really good and judging by what I could see there was no reason for me to pull it apart. The housing end looked to be the same size on the outside but it had a thicker wall then my 00 did, suggesting the post was smaller. I'll do it for ya as soon as I can though but don't hold your breath. I think we are SOL unless you want to spend the money on a full conversion.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I rode Gomer's and Dave's 2000 YZs and never had a problem kicking them. I had all kinds of other problems with them (cheap-uncalled-for-brand-preference-inuendo), but never with kicking them.

You'll probably be ok.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I never had a big problem with mine until I put those Fastway pegs on it. With the square end pegs you catch them more. However, once you kick over a newer model YZ and feel the difference it's just something you want. I can live with it as is but I also know it can be alot better.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Shocknut said:
but don't hold your breath. I think we are SOL unless you want to spend the money on a full conversion.
I got to hold my breath because I can't afford to do the whole conversion.

Shocknut said:
once you kick over a newer model YZ and feel the difference it's just something you want. I can live with it as is but I also know it can be alot better.

Same here however I had a problem from the start because I know how a 250 lever should feel. I think Yamaha made a mistake when they made this lever so small.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Shocknut, I'm really thinking that lever arm should fit. I am VERY interested in your results. I really can't see why they would change the diameter or length of that knuckle shaft.

Tell your buddies thanks for letting you do this experiment. I can't wait to hear the results, it's the only thing stopping me from doing an all out search for one.

Top Bottom