Kick starting a 2000 YZ 250

Discussion in '2-Stroke Discussion' started by MikeT, Jul 19, 2004.

1. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

OK, this may sound like a completely novice question but here it goes. I just got my 2000 YZ250 and from what I remember, on a 250 when you kick it, your boot (at the bottom of the stroke) goes under the foot peg. On my YZ if I let my boot go under the peg, my toe collides with the peg. I feel I will tear a hole in my boot if I continue to kick it that way.

I have since been kicking it like a 125 in that I slide my butt to the back of the seat and I end up with my foot on top of the peg at the bottom of the stroke.. It's almost like the kick starter is too short for a 250.

The reason why I am asking this is it takes me a couple of kicks to start it because I can't really kick it too hard. Any ideas..... It's been a while since I owned a 250 but I never has this problem kicking James 250 or another guys 2001 KX250.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. whyzee

whyzee Never enough time !

Mike, put a kicker on from an 02 or newer.
    Longer arm, less force required, toe further away from the right peg.
  3. whyzee

I knew that was your next question, LOL
    yes it fits
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2004
  4. whyzee

check eBoy, I was getting between $50 & $75
  5. James

James Lifetime Sponsor

"eBoy"....LOL HA HA
  6. whyzee

well ya can't say the other word here anymore
  7. Jeff Howe

Jeff Howe Rookie DRN Member

You might want to check into this a bit more. I am pretty certain the kick shafts are 2 different sizes. I'll check again tomorrow if I get the chance.
  8. whyzee

Yeah, what do I know? :rotfl:
  9. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

I just want to ba able to give it a FULL kick. I can see in pictures of the newer YZ's that the starter is longer and more twisted so I am looking forward to giving it a try. I looked on eBoy and didn't see any currently. I will keep on looking but if you see any, please contact me PM me.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2004
  10. Jeff Howe

Nope, I don't have one. However if I verify today that it fits I'm just gonna order a new one. I have Fastway pegs on my bike so it's even worse with those on there.
  11. cr2504life

cr2504life Rookie DRN Member

On my 97 cr250 I have the same proablem(ithink it might be a different kickstarter). I just turn my foot to the right a bit and it clears the peg.
  12. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

I am pretty sure based on whyzee's experience with all the engines he has sold that it will fit. Tell me what you end up doing.

Mike
  13. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

What about one off of a YZF?
  14. elf

elf Rookie DRN Member

MikeT, When I had my yz 250 I used to get the ball of my foot lined up on the kick starter. that way when you kick down your toe misses the footpeg. Also I found that if you have something to lean against when kicking you can stand upright and get a better kick
  15. James

James Lifetime Sponsor

I wouldn't recommend it. It may fit, but every time I kick a 250f, no matter what brand, I end up with a hole in my boot.
  16. Jeff Howe

Here is what I did. I got to Andy's place and went right into his garage and pulled the lever off his 03 YZ 250. I looked at it and just like the last time I said "too small". I took it over to my bike anyway this time just to say I have put it up against mine for direct comparison. It DON'T fit. The newer shaft IS smaller.

The other option would be to graft the 03 lever to the 00 knuckle and although I never did this it looked like it would not be a fit. There is no way that a 02 or newer lever will be a direct bolt on though.
  17. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

Shocknut. The lever graft sounds like a good idea. I know if you use a #3 screw driver the lever will slip right off and all there is within the knuckle is a spring and a ball bearing. If I had a buddy with a newer YZ, I'd give it a try. Do you think Andy will let you try it?

If it works I'll do it too. I just don't have any way of testing it.
  18. whyzee

this is troublesome. I had 3 motors on my bench several months ago, an 00, 01 and an 02. I remember using the 00 kick on all 3 of the motors and I'm talking about the entire assembly. I am a bit perplexed by this because I even remember having to remove the 02 unit from the 01 when I was going to shoot pics of it. hmmmm. Jeff, considering the seal is a different part # as well as the shaft boss, I'm going to have to concede. :| somewhere I messed up
  19. Jeff Howe

I'll post some more info on this later today.

I checked the idler gear part number as well as the clutch basket. (I already knew the basket is the same though). These 2 parts are the same as 00. So this tells me that the kickstart gear is the same as well. This means the conversion CAN be done IF the shaft seal od is the same on both models. I ordered both seals from my dealer today so I can verify this. This means the actual conversion will require the purchase of the kickshaft assy AND kick lever assy plus the 02 shaft seal. This makes it is a expensive conversion though it will also knock off some weight along with getting the better lever design.

02 kick shaft assy retail cost. $134.00
    02 kick kick lever assy retail cost $104
    02 shaft seal retail cost approx...$2

So, it's about $240 to do this. This is the ONLY way you will get a 02 or newer kick start lever on your bike. I shouldn't say that word as you might be able to actually machine the 00 knuckle to accept the 02 lever. I beleive the 00 knuckle post is larger then the 02 so that simple conversion won't work either.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  20. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

Can you pull off your Andys and see if the lever will fit on the 00 knuckle so it can be verified?