MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but I want to put license plates on my KDX so that I don't get hassled when I am riding gravel roads between trails. I only have a bill of sale, no title. I called the Illinois Secretary of State's office and it seems to be a little bit of a hassle to get the bike titled and plated. Does anyone know if it is easier in Iowa, Wisconsin, or Georgia? I have relatives in those States that would help out. My '80 KDX175 has a title and plates, but I resurrected this '85 and I'd like to go riding with my son.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
'80 KDX175
'85 KDX200
'81 XS850 Special

shawn1012k

Aug 18, 2005
I live in ontario but I had a similiar problem, Back in 80 they didn't register the bikes with ownerships or anything and alls they did was give a bill of sales so you have to go get a ownership using your bill of sales by going down to like the ministry of transportation and once you get an ownership you should get a liscense plate if you
ask. But again I live in canada so it may be different.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If you can find someone in Michigan it's a piece of cake. I lived there all my life, you could register a YZ80 without lights if you knew some people. I passed with non-functioning tailight and non-dot tires. All the inspecting cop said was "I would ride that on the road", then checked it off as good.

Georgia is impossible from what I hear. I just renewed my Michigan registration (got my new tags today). The locals tell me there is no way I would ever get tags from Georgia for my bike, even though it is titled and registered as a street bike in Michigan. Evereone around here has Virginia plates if the bike isn't a stock dual sport.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Just get another plate for the '80 bike and put it on the newer one. Rural use probably never a problem. However, varies from state to state. Cheers John

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
MX175 said:
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but I want to put license plates on my KDX so that I don't get hassled when I am riding gravel roads between trails. I only have a bill of sale, no title. I called the Illinois Secretary of State's office and it seems to be a little bit of a hassle to get the bike titled and plated. Does anyone know if it is easier in Iowa, Wisconsin, or Georgia? I have relatives in those States that would help out. My '80 KDX175 has a title and plates, but I resurrected this '85 and I'd like to go riding with my son.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
'80 KDX175
'85 KDX200
'81 XS850 Special
email me @ readjw@optonline.net
I'll give you a hint. Don't want to post in the public forum for anti's to view

Top Bottom