_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Stuman is right. I would check the valves yourself. I put in the 13.5:1 wiseco high comp piston when I did mine, but I don't see it listed at Motosport. I got mine through the local Honda shop. As far as tools, a Craftsman torque wrench should be fine and a quality set of feeler guages. Watch the range on the torque wrench. Here's a link to a great thread on oil.......http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=146867

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Sounds good, depending on how mechanical you are? It is not that big of a deal, if you can follow directions, in the SHOP manual. Also, you will need a torque wrench for inch and foot pounds. The feeler gauge is priceless! Read through the manual, a large parts tray, clean bike and area to work. My number 1 pet peeve, empty all the fluids first! I have seen valves go at all different hours. I have noticed, valve life depends on how it came new, If you are shimming right after break in shim, you have bad seats or valves. You will not get the big hours people claim. Good from the start, stay on the oil and filter, and check the valves often. I still have not heard of Greg Foster's claim that ti valves cup and it runs crappy, versus, stainless valves on long hours drop into the head theory come completely true. Leave it to my son to back up the ti side of the story, and after he sold it to a young rider, who liked the rev limiter, to roach the crank, rebuild it, and drop two shims out during riding! How many bottom ends has Rich seen?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
If you get the Honda service manual and manage the piston change and get the works back in "time" you should be able to handle shimming the valves. I would however suggest that when you get the head off clean it up and take it to the honda shop or somewhere to let an experienced set of eyes check your valves and seats. Could be worth the time and money.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
When I started looking into it I thought it might be easier for me to have a shop do it all. But they said $330 for labor. So that isnt an option so I do plan on borrowing a friends torque wrench and replacing my top end. I have some friends and my brother should be able to help me and i will just have to follow the service manual closely. I also asked the shop how much for a valve check and they said about $100, so maybe i will have them do that because that is over my head. i dont have feeler gauges and i dont even know what a valve shim is or what im looking for. If somebody could explain the procedure a little and tell me what feeler gauges to buy i might be able to do it then, oh and if i would need to buy new shims, what kind to get. Thanks for your help

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
I read completely this morning through my owners manual, dont have the service manual yet, and it does an explanation on valve clearance and replacing the top end. I hope the service manual will be more descriptive but i can do all of it just looking over it. the only thing i dont have is feelers and this tool they used in the cam chain tensioner and it was called a stopper tool to take the tension off, do i need that tool? How does this top end kit sound? Its a Wiseco Pro-Lite Piston Kit. It has everything and seems like the most sold piston on motosport.com. Still need good shims and feelers. Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
25Cameron25 said:
I read completely this morning through my owners manual, dont have the service manual yet, and it does an explanation on valve clearance and replacing the top end. I hope the service manual will be more descriptive but i can do all of it just looking over it. the only thing i dont have is feelers and this tool they used in the cam chain tensioner and it was called a stopper tool to take the tension off, do i need that tool? How does this top end kit sound? Its a Wiseco Pro-Lite Piston Kit. It has everything and seems like the most sold piston on motosport.com. Still need good shims and feelers. Thanks

You don't need that tool for the tensioner.. I use a small screwdriver.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
FYI - you can get feeler guages at any auto part store, like Autozone, Pep Boys, Murrays, etc. Just make sure they have the real thin ones needed for valve checking (clearances are listed in the owners manual).

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Attachments

• 804p-400.jpg
    804p-400.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 180

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
ok thanks. and i plan on getting a hotcams valve shim kit it has a ton of shims and all sizes all for only $80. does anybody know of a good thread giving tips or advice on a 4 stroke top end rebuild? thanks

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
search for it and if nothing then there is probably nothing. those 250's are loaded with power i noticed you live in colorado same here well if you arent doing any thing this week end come up to rampart and me and my friends will show you some good trail riding

Last edited:

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
well i think i am going to order everything. once i get it started i might have more questions. like my math on the valve clearance and such things. one more question...should i do the valves first or should i put the new piston in then do the valves?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You can check the valves after its out of the engine. The service manual is more technical and covers the entire engine. What is the wiseco part number? 4829M07800? Wiseco sells the complete kit for 246.51

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I didn't see a wiseco part# But they refer to it as standard so it apears to be standard compression 4829MO7800 The high compression version would be 4852MO7800. Not a bad price.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am little beside myself why they refer to it as a pro lite piston. Wiseco does not refer to their 4 stroke pistons as that? They have a lighter race piston for 2 strokes, pro lite, and it has a shorter life! Discontinued piston would be my first guess, call or email to find out what wiseco number it is. Could be a typo, but there is a reason for the price difference.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I'm looking at a 2008 Wiseco Performance Products Catalog. It only refers to the pistons as pro-lite 2-stroke and pro-lite 4-stroke. I was thinking the samething as whenfoxforks-rule thats why I picked up the catalog to take a look.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
well maybe i will skip the free shipping on motosport :( and buy it right off of wiseco so i know im getting the right thing. i dont know much about pistons so which one would you recommend? 12.9:1 Std. Compression, pt. #4829M07800, or the 13.5:1 Std. Compression, pt. #4949M07800. I don't think i have the extra money to buy the high compression but I am confused...they both say Std. Compression and the same price but one has a higher ratio?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Go with the high comp if you can swing it. I did and really liked the extra boost. The # I used is the 4852MO7800. The std designation is the bore size not the comp ratio.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
One of the last times I talked to Eric(I really hate bugging him, without an issue!)he was making reference to a 14.7 or something like that, from wiseco, for him. Talk about snap off bottom? The higher compression can be iffy on pump gas, and can shorten the life of the top end compared to stock. Money to burn, not an issue! Most riders running their engines into the ground will be quite pleased to find the power back to how it was when they bought it. I really never had issues buying from motosport, their package deals are pretty good. But, it never hurts to cut out the middle man when you know what you want either.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
Well now I think I will get the one Joe got, I also went to Denniskirk.com and typed in all the pt. #'s there and they had all of the pistons. So i think i will order the high compression piston off of dennis kirk (saves $12)....unless its not good to run Shell V-power (dont have the money for Vp or Torco etc. gas). I do plan on becoming a preferred customer for amsoil and using the 10w-40 motorcyle stuff if that helps.I can now check my valves by myself, it sounds pretty easy.

Top Bottom