JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I agree momentem is very key, but keeping speed up depends very much on the quality of your bike and your confidence in the bike. Its a shame but in the MTB world better bikes cost tons of $$$$$. The big differances in good MTB bikes are good handeling (good suspension) and good components. The better the components are the better they shift even under load. The better your bike handles the bumps, rocks and turns, the faster you can go down hill and the more speed you can keep up.
That being said I started out on a fairley cheap but decent MTB and learned to ride it well with good handeling skills and getting in better shape. Now, Im a hero on my Cannondale Raven becuase the bike turns and tracks very well and it feels more like Im on a dirt bike than a MTB. You still have to have the legs to keep it going though.
Here are the things I did to go faster on my old bike or just make it up the hills :):
As was said, try not to work up the cogs under load, the more presure you put on the crank, the worse it will shift. Learn to spin the heak out of the lower gears, spinning gives you more traction and power than just standing up on a bigger gear wich causes wheel spin and the following stopage :).
ride the middle gear on the front when ever possible, its alot easier to shift to the big ring on a down hill and WAY more easy to drop into the little ring in the front under load than it is to try to work the rear shifter up the cog.
When you start climbing larger hills in the lower gears, try to stay seated, climbing steep hills becomes a delicate balance of leaning forward to keep the front of the bike on the ground and pulling back on the handel bars while kicking to keep traction on the rear wheel.
If you dont have clipless pedles, try them but get used to them before hitting the single track, you can gain about 15-25% more efficencey and WAY better rear traction by being clipped into the pedal and making an effort on the hills to pull the pedal through the stroke.
Enjoy your biking! I love MTB riding and like you said, you can ride alot of areas that are closed to dirtbikes. Have fun and dont push yoursellf to hard by yourself, just try to pace yourself and get in better shape, the rest will come naturaly as a result.
Heres a pic of a Raven (not mine), mine is black with yeallow trim, Lefty fork and disc brakes like the one in this pic :) Ohhhhh sexy!!!!
http://light-bikes.com/gallery/dirtdad.htm

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Just got back from Beacon, first time out since the fire & my shoulder to ground contact on my ride with Karl & Pat a couple weeks back. None of the stuff we ride was burnt. Looked like it was more on the Esmerelda side and over to the Beacons which I don't ride usually.

It was HOT!!! and dry and dusty - even though I was by myself. My bike has some issues that I need to address before I go back out. Tires were a bit too soft, brakes were out of adjustment & I couldn't get them where I wanted them since I was on my lunchhour.

We park at the John Shields Park on Upriver Drive, across from the dam. There is lots of rideable stuff up there, you can certainly get a good workout even if you have to walk up a couple hills or down a couple. There are bypasses for most of the tough stuff so you can still ride and connect to the rest of the trails. Let me know if you want to join me someday but for the next few it looks to be too darn hot again.

Noseat - we'll have to come up to Farraget SP to join you if it cools down. Best part about the uphills is you know it's gotta go back down!

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
One thing I forgot to mention is when you're climbing it's better to spin the cranks faster in a lower gear than spinning slower in a higher gear. Spinning faster may feel like it's wearing you out but you can recover faster than muscling it up the hill.

Steve

GMX

Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by zero_it
Mountain bikes are pretty fun, but my brain just can't totally accept the concept. The right handlebar grip on my bicycle is twisted up pretty good from trying to go faster! Hmmmm.... wonder if I'll ever grow out of that?

Throttle On!

I dont ride a mountain bike but a BMX, and my right grip is literally completly bald and the left one is close enough but not even close to the right one.....coincidence? doubt it

<DarreN123>

Jul 21, 2003
i just sold my $6500+ dollar dh bike (downhill), to get a dirt bike.......it weighed about 60 pounds (8 inch travel front and rear, disc brakes, big inverted forks)......since im from B.C (the mountain biking capitol of the world thats what i ended up doing...ive always wanted and dirt bike though (and now i finnaly get one :) ).......i never acctually rode uphills or anything, just took the gondola for some 45-50 mph dh runs.....40 ft gaps, 20 ft. drops....good fun, but it just isnt cutting it anymore...so now i need a motor

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
evenslower,

you are going to have to make your way up to denton with that MTB. ray roberts has two really nice DORBA built trails. i didnt realize you like to MTB. i really would like to do grapevine but i dont know anyone that MTBs.

Top Bottom