My buddy rode my KX250 and KDX200

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
It is tempting to take the entire front end off my KX250 and slip it on the KDX200, but I think it might be hard to sell a KX250 with a KDX front end on it!

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
This is a good thread. I'm 34, and was getting the itch to upgrade to a 250. But just this weekend, I decided to keep the KDX until I've got some races under my belt. Then, next year, I can decide whether to upgrade or not. But for now, I'm going to put some money to spice up the KDX.

It's tough having to accept that I can't do some of the things I could 10-15 years ago.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Once you put a KX frontend on your KDX... you'll never look back. Spring and valve it light though. I put a 03 KX 125 frontend on my 95, .42 springs, 5wt oil at 135mm, clickers all the way light and it is just about right for my 200# body. The last mod to the frontend is taking two of the largest LSC washers (springs) out so that I can use more clicker adjustment.

It's just a great mod!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Jeff Sexton said:
It is tempting to take the entire front end off my KX250 and slip it on the KDX200, but I think it might be hard to sell a KX250 with a KDX front end on it!
Or pull a Fredette and put the KDX motor in the KX frame...

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
Jeff Sexton said:
Like kx250kev, I also have an '02 KX250 and an '04 KDX200. I've never been a motocrosser, always trails and some hare scrambles. I spent a small fortune making the KX a decent trail bike - Race Tech gold valves, shock spring, dual stage reeds, 11 oz flywheel weight, etc, etc. The bike is a blast to ride, but my arms and shoulders hurt for days after a good long ride or a 2 hour race.

I bought the KDX last year as a compromise backup bike. My son rides in the 86-200 B class and I ride in +40 B class. Normally he rides a Husky 125 and I ride the KX250. Honestly, I was hoping he'd fall in love with the KDX200 and we'd finally be all green, but it didn't work out that way. He's still the lone holdout - won't give up the Husky - have to admit it's a lot of fun. Anyway, I started riding the KDX when we just went out play riding and a funny thing happened. My hands don't go numb and my shoulders don't ache for days. I guess I'm just getting old.

Anyone looking for an '02 KX250?

Don't sell it Jeff, you'll miss the beast! Instead, buy another green bike and grow your collection. Then I can prove to my wife that I'm not the only one out there obsessed with green bikes. ;)

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Okiewan said:
Or pull a Fredette and put the KDX motor in the KX frame...

The jury is still out on if this is worth doing. The ergo's of the KX is different, center of gravity. The tank holds less fuel, the rear rim is 19 " reducing torque, likelyhood of pinch flats.

Benefits... it weighs less and you gain the suspension.

Just put a KX frontend on it. It's cheaper and requires less modification.

BTW.. sometimes a heavier bike is better in the woods for traction. ;)

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Don't know how to take that now... :think:

But, I know racing highspeed and just grunting through the woods are two different things. ;)

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
kx250kev,

I know what you mean. I have four boys and at one time we had a 65, 85, 200, and 250 in the garage. I kept threatening to buy a 100, 125, 220, and 500 so I could say we had all the green two strokes. Naturally, the wife thoought I was nuts. Now that I think about it, buying a 500 probably would have been nuts.

The kids ar4e a little older now and the 65 is gone. We'll be getting a 125 sometime soon for my 11 year old. I think that'll have to do.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
my dads 41 and he's only got 1 speed. thats wide open. im hoping i can keep up to him next year when he gets back to riding after doing some big house projects.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I have a 1994 KDX that I just love and if I ever had the cash for a buddy bike, I'd certainly pick up another. I love the soft seat of the 88-94 KDX's and i think any buddy would feel the same. Also, it's powerband is great for just about any condition, other than say, Highway travel at 70+mph! LOL

Great beginner / intermediate and even advanced bike all around.

04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
I was surprised how quick my bike (04 kdx 200) is compared to my friends bike(04 yz 125). He is a better rider than i am but in a staight drag i beat him every time. Not by much but my bike is quicker and faster. His is a 5 speed and mine is a 6 too. On a track he would kill me and in the woods hes faster than me because he is better than me but i couldnt belive that my bike was consistently quicker and faster than his. Both our bikes are just about stock. All i have are boyeson 607 power reeds. He hasnt done anything to his bike yet.
Chris

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
xsnrg said:
When the KDX220 locked up on us a few weeks ago (it was overdue for a topend), I was riding with two other guys, one more experienced riding a '02 or so YZ250 and the other on a 91 KDX250. So my friend let me ride his YZ250 and I got to experience the kind of wild power that the KDX220 does not have. It was thrilling and I had a blast ripping around our trail circuit on it, but wow, I can see how it would be very tiring to ride for a whole day...especially in our technical sections.

Looking forward to see how the 220 perfoms with a fresh engine rebuild.
how do you think the KDX 220 compares to the KDX 250? My G/F just got me a 250 to use as my woods bike. I'm not finding alot of info on it.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
lepper said:
The jury is still out on if this is worth doing. The ergo's of the KX is different, center of gravity. The tank holds less fuel, the rear rim is 19 " reducing torque, likelyhood of pinch flats.

Benefits... it weighs less and you gain the suspension.

Just put a KX frontend on it. It's cheaper and requires less modification.

BTW.. sometimes a heavier bike is better in the woods for traction. ;)

I'm sorry man, I like the KDX, it has its place in the dirt bike world, I had one and really liked it....but that right there is just plain bad info - well, its not even info, its a bad "opinion".

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
If you say so... already been down this road. :cool:

Not ever bike benefits from MX ergos my man... and a KDX was designed that way for a reason. Something you obviously know more about than several years of R&D. :|

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom