camorider87

Jun 1, 2009
Just looking for some advice on getting a dirtbike.

I'm 22, 6'1", 165lbs and I can handle my own while riding. I live in Washington. I've ridden utility quads for about 4 years. Back in South Carolina, I was keeping up with my buddies who rode Raptor 700s and CRF450s with my Rancher 420 in the trails there. Looking to also give bikes a try. I only plan on trail riding and won't race. I rode my roommates CRF450 on a flat homemade track back in SC last year and it scared the hell out of me. I know some people say to start out with a 125, but I'd rather just get a 250. I prefer 4-stroke over 2s. I've always stuck with Honda with quads, but brand doesn't matter to me. I have buddies who will swear by Yamaha, KTM, Suzuki, and Kawasaki, along with Honda. I will definitely go used so I don't just piss away money when I end up wrecking. I intend on doing the upkeep on the bike since I always take care of my quads. I'm thinking of getting a bike newer than 2000. Normally I ride pretty hard, but the trails up here are tighter than I'm used to. Not really wanting to spend more than $2500 on my first bike. Any suggestions?

freakystyley

Nov 27, 2006
you mentioned a 250cc, is that a 4 stroke 250? it won't quite act like a moto 2 stroke 250 (which may be more like the CRF450 you were on!). I would get an electric start 4stroke "250" sized bike like a honda CRF230F or yammie WR250F. other option is to look for a used 125/250 moto bike and tame it for woods (I went this way a few years back and love being able to rip up the track with buddies instead of plugging along on a rig with an extra 50 pounds eating roost)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
A used 4 stroke 250F for under $2500 is a heartache waiting to happen. With your budget in mind as well as the fact you are sticking to the trails I'd be looking for a used KTM 200EXC 2 stroke or even possibly a used KDX200/220.

Top Bottom