Next size bike to buy after a pw80??

pdq

Apr 2, 2002
Thinking abougt up-sizeing my sons bike. He is 10.5 years old
He doesn't race, just rides trails and woods . The pw 80 getting a
little small. any sugestions on the next size bike ? I saw a Honda
xr 100 that looked like it might be good?? Dont want any to powerfull /surgy!! Thanks to the group...

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I just moved my 8.5 year old from a 78 Z50 to a PW80 and it's perfect for him right now. I knew that he would outgrow it within a couple of years but he was not ready for the clutch quite yet. I was considering the XR80 for him which is very close to the XR100. The XR100 would be an excellent choise for him, they have very smooth power delivery and are as reliable as a rock. I have also heard very good this about the TTR-125 it comes in a large and small wheel versions depending on his hieght. One comment I heard is that the engine runs like a Swiss watch and is almost impossible to stall.

That way he sticks with Yamaha and maybe his blue gear will still match ?

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
If you want to stick with a 4 stroke I'd look at the CRF150 and Yamaha TTR125.

If a two stroke will do, the RM and KX 85's would be a good choice. They both have good bottom power delivery and a lot better suspension that than any of the 4 stroke play bikes. But they're also a bit taller.

sluggerjoe

Dec 1, 2002
For woods riding, the ttr125 is by far the best choice. the XR100 is a slug and even though the ttr isn't going to make anyone leave their YZ85 at home, it is a far more capable bike than the XR. The CRF150 weighs a whopping 40lbs more than the ttr or it would be choice #1. It weighs more than a 125 MXer.

My 10 year old just moved from a PW80 to a YZ80. The little YZ is strong and downright scary but he handles it really well thanks to a worn out rear tire and lots of wheel spin. I was surprised how quickly he adapted to it, but our riding is in fairly open cow pastures and mild MX tracks. When he gets it on the pipe coming out of a corner, there isn't a 250 around than can keep up for about 30 feet! heh heh. I think he weighs 75 pounds, no wheelie at all, just LAUNCH.
I won't let him just go out and rip across a pasture without riding it with him first, I also keep him in sight at all times. If he were riding a ttr, I'd allow him more leeway. So far so good.... I don't think there's a chance in hell I could satisfy him with a ttr now, though.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
My daughter's progression was from the PW-80 to the KX-65. It was a nice transition to a clutch, but we ride tracks mostly.

The PW sits real close to the ground (25 inch seat height), so you can't judge by engine size, in other words, going from a PW-80 to an XR-80 (28.6 inches) or an XR-100 (30.5) with the clutch might make a lot of sense. The Yamaha TTR125/E has the same seat height as the XR-100.   The only other thing to consider is weight.  The XR-100 and TTR125/E are within five pounds of each other (165 and 170 pounds, respectively). 

Since power isn't a prime concern of yours, I'd check out the XR-80/100 and the TTR125/E and get the one that fits and will fit this year. The way kids grow, this isn't a long term purchase anyway. :eek:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom