O-Ring on head troubles!!! Honey, I blew up the o-ring!!!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
OK,  so I pulled the head of my 02 YZ250, as many of you know this head uses O-Ring gaskets.

I pulled the head off, went and ate dinner, went back out and was dabbing a bit of grease on them per. the manual instructions when the inside o-ring popped out!  It now appears that it is TOO BIG to go back into the groove, what oh what should I do?  It was in there a second ago, but now it's too big!  And to make matters worse it's one of those orange high heat ones!!!

AHHHHH!!!!!!

:scream:

What should I do?  Heat it up? Cool it down? 

Thanks. :worship:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Buy a new one.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Alright, Alright, but I can see it coming.....Walk into dealer...can I get an O-Ring for my head? Parts Goof: Sure, but first let me ask you, is it a 2-Stroke or a 4-Stroke? Me: A 2-Stroke P.G.: OK, That'll be $16.04 and we'll have to order it, it will maybe be here in a week or two. ME: $#)@$#@$@)(*@@!!! (In my head, of course! :debil: )

How aggrivating!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There are a number of good online Yamaha shops.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Sounds like you've been going to Plaza.

Call South Valley, ask for Brandon and tell him I told you to call. He will not screw with you. :thumb:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i use the cometic ones, you can get the whole topend for $25 . ive even reused them during head mods. btw, they are both black and are both slightly too big, but can be worked into the groove.

what did i say about messing with that head though!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
this may sound stupid but,

1st I use a toothbrush and scrub the oring groove completely clean ridculously clean , absolutely no schmutz left over from the last time.

2nd I no longer take a finger full of grease and smear the Oring. I put Vaseline into the groove.

I don't know if its true or what but if there is dirt or left over grease crud in the groove you loose the square edge of it and it ramps up the oring and by not stretching the Oring by pulling it thru my fingers or softening the rubber by using regular grease but I swear by keeping these things in my mind that little job has become ever so easy . Just pop em in and go.
It is probably like a count to ten thing to get rid of the hiccups but hey it works for me

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Stud, I recommend the shop out in Centerville, Full Throttle. There is a girl that works there that is beautiful. Not in stock is a good thing. You get to go back again!

If you just want the part, call Lindsay Machine. They are in the phone book. You can get the entire top end gasket set for abou the cost of the o rings only at Plaza.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
On secont thought, how about using RTV blue sealer. I know it is stupid and wrong, but the previous owner of my bike did it. I would hate to see anoyne loose out of the privlage of peeling this crap off after the head has been hot.

P.S.   I like "Heather" at plaza. She does a decent job and is excellent on the computer.

Last edited:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by Rcannon
On secont thought, how about using RTV blue sealer. I know it is stupid and wrong, but the previous owner of my bike did it. I would hate to see anoyne loose out of the privlage of peeling this crap off after the head has been hot.

P.S.   I like "Heather" at plaza. She does a decent job and is excellent on the computer.

the silicone is extremely brutal isn't it. I had the same problems and had to use a pick and gently scrape the corners clean of the groove to get rid of that crap. That where I got my the corners in the groove aren't square anymore braindrizzle from the silicone filling it up.

After changing many Orings in air brake systems thru the years the light bulb finally went off in my head. Whenever you have a rebuild kit for an air brake component they always give you a small tube of Oring specific lube. Right here right now I can't remember but there is some type of warning either about not using that lube on natural rubber or not using regular grease on synthetic orings or something to that effect. But certain rubbers can not tolerate certain greases or solvents and the vaseline does work on the yamaha square rings.

Also when I start to lay down the ring I work it into the vaseline making sure that it is setting squarely into the groove against the outside wall. It is just one of those "dangit how hard can this thing be" type of situation that once you get one in easy you have to think about what you did and do it exactly the same way all the time.

Last edited:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rcannon, you like Heather at Plaza?????? I personally CAN NOT STAND her! She always acts stuck-up when I'm there, when I asked her today for an O-Ring on an 02 YZ250 she asked me "Is that a 2-Stroke or a 4-Stroke?" Seriously, she says that EVERY TIME. Plaza does screw you over but it's so close... :)

Anyways, I got the new O-Ring ($5.52) and put it in and it worked fine. I kept the old O-ring but I'm wondering, why did it stretch?

Rcannon, the blue RTV thing just doesn't sound sane on my precious head. The thought of the whole coolant/combustion chamber leak/head, piston erosion thing doesn't thrill me. :debil:

Lindsay machine does good work at a decent price, I've had my cases split there before and he did it for $40 and even took time to take everything apart and inspect it. :thumb:

MX-727, I'll make the trek out to South Valley and give them a chance, I am sick and tired of Plaza's ripoff prices and unknowledgable parts people. The only reason I go there is that it's close.

Rcannon wrote "Stud, I recommend the shop out in Centerville, Full Throttle. There is a girl that works there that is beautiful. Not in stock is a good thing. You get to go back again!" :debil: :)

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Stud, she is a very odd person. You have to tease her before she will lighten up. Does she ever get smarter? Well, no, but she will then turn the part screen around so you can look at it .

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Studboy,
Years ago i worked at a personal watercraft shop, when i would pull a O ringed head, first thing i would do was too put the o ring in the freezer while i did the repairs.. By freezing, it would shrink the ring..
RIck

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rick, I put it in the freezer and it didn't change anything. (As far as how the ring fit into the groove.)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I was just about to ask this question, my lil bro just pick up a used 96 RM 125 it use's one big flat type oring. The local dealer doesn't have it in stock (I wonder if they ever do anymore) my question is, isn't there something else other than just using like rvt and trying to make an oring fit. I found one I could use but its alittle too big and doesn't seal 100%. I thought there was some company that was selling exhaust sealant tape, Anyone know where to get this possibly at say like an auto parts store possibly? Don't suggest shucks/checkers all ready been there. I want to avoid having to use RVT since thats what the last owner did and it was wank.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
they make an "o-ring kit" which has spools of different dia. o-ring material, and some kind of goop in a tube. you cut the o-ring the right length and use the goop (or maybe silicone would work) to seal the end. This would probably work if everything was clean, but certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

Normally this should be a relatively low-heat environment for the o-ring, unless you have the cylinder bored way out...

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I found it, I see that moose sells it as two pieces of tape high temp gore-tex teflon tape and there is also chamber seal same thing just comes in a roll and is cheaper. Suppose to be heat activated to exspand and seal was only $6.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Hmmm......maybe that's why the vegetables were so soft....
:)

Of course it was.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
OK, so for the record and all of you that have O-Ring troubles,
Last night I changed my head again and the O-Ring again was too big to fit! (Or so it appeared)
So I took your advice and did the following:
1. Stripped the O-Ring of all the old grease and put in freezer.
2. Completely cleaned the O-Ring groove.
3. Packed the O-Ring groove with vaseline.

The results:
The O-Ring went in easily!

Thanks everybody for the tips!

Top Bottom